Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

I can see the reasoning for Rooney doing this as he is hoping it will improve his performances. However I've not seen any leadership qualities from Tom and I think its another poor decision from Rooney. We are going to need a captain that can lift the team through the difficult times we are going to face. We are going to have to fight for every point. I just can't see what Lawrence can offer....

I see the rationale behind it, makes sense. I think it'll give Tom some more drive and maturity.

Tom is at an age and a period in his career now where he needs to step up. I believe giving him the armband will see him take on the responsibility and make sure he and the team do the right things.

“I think he’s in the perfect moment to take on this challenge. It is a big responsibility, and he was excited when I told him.”

He added: “He has matured on and off the pitch and I think it is the right time, but we have a number of other natural leaders in the squad as well.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/07/lawrence-confirmed-as-derbys-captain-for-202122-season

Edited by ThePrisoner

Well, one of the main instigators of the joiners shambles who has no visible leadership qualities is now club captain... When the going gets tough, do I honestly think Tom will be the man to rally the troops, be vocal and drag us through? The answer is no. Wrong decision for me this, I don't think he is captain material. Hope he proves me wrong.

Edited by DanS1992

Its an interesting one but I do think players like Davies, Shinnie & CKR dont need an armband to be leaders.

This could be a really good thing for Lawrence. I felt when he returned from injury he looked to take on the responsibility of being our main attacking threat & stepped up to the plate at a crucial time of the season. Maybe he is a players who thrives off responsibility. He doesnt need to be someone who screams & shouts but he can lead by example on the pitch & he certainly has the quality to do it. 

People say alot about his attitude on the pitch but I think thats just how he comes across, he doesnt get enough credit for his workrate and the defensive side to his game. He also clearly has the respect of the other lads.

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Its an interesting one but I do think players like Davies, Shinnie & CKR dont need an armband to be leaders.

This could be a really good thing for Lawrence. I felt when he returned from injury he looked to take on the responsibility of being our main attacking threat & stepped up to the plate at a crucial time of the season. Maybe he is a players who thrives off responsibility. He doesnt need to be someone who screams & shouts but he can lead by example on the pitch & he certainly has the quality to do it. 

People say alot about his attitude on the pitch but I think thats just how he comes across, he doesnt get enough credit for his workrate and the defensive side to his game. He also clearly has the respect of the other lads.

I agree with a lot of strong leaders around him the added responsibility might focus Lawrence and put the right kind of pressure on him.

if we resign Davies and Jagielka with Shinnie and CKR we won’t be short of voices on the pitch.

He’s been a much better player since Cocu’s tenure imo and showed his worth at the back end of last season.

Hes got something to prove both at club level and internationally, and there’s no time like now for him. Could he be that player who gets us 10-15 goals that puts us in a comfortable position?

Not the obvious choice, but I get the rationale. With his contract length too it’s his time to step up to the plate or be another expensive signing that disappoints and leaves on a free.

On a side note, Rooney’s rousing speech; wow. I feel like I was more engaging and  inspiring as a Sunday league manager, and weren't strangers to losing by cricket scores. 

10 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Well, one of the main instigators of the joiners shambles who has no visible leadership qualities is now club captain... When the going gets tough, do I honestly think Tom will be the man to rally the troops, be vocal and drag us through? The answer is no. Wrong decision for me this, I don't think he is captain material.

Great move DCFC... 

Reckon Rooney will be a better judge of Lawrence's credentials to be team captain than any fan on a football forum.

For pity's sake give the guy a chance.