Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

I get the negativity and comments about Shinnie but this could be a clever move.  Shinnie will always be a leader with or without the armband.  If the responsibility gets an extra 10% out of our most gifted player then it's worth a gamble.  My fear would be how Tom reacts if and when things don't go our way and the crowd turns against him and the team.  Good start needed by Tom and the team as a whole........ 

Lawrence said: “It is a massive privilege for me, at a club like Derby County, to captain the side and I can’t wait to lead the boys out. The manager spoke to me last week and he has put his trust in me to lead the group this year."

“I’ll do everything to make it a positive season. We all know last season wasn’t good enough on all fronts and we want to be back up towards the top end of the division this year.”

He added: “The lads have all been great with me about it and I am grateful for that, but it’s not just about me because there are a number of captains in this team.”

Edited by RoyMac5

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Reckon Rooney will be a better judge of Lawrence's credentials to be team captain than any fan on a football forum.

For pity's sake give the guy a chance.

He has had he fair share of them though hasn't he? How often has he flattered to deceive? Don't get me wrong, I would love it to be a masterstroke and we finally get the Tom Lawrence we know is there on a regular basis, but judging by what we have seen so far in his time at Derby, I just don't think it is the right decision. I seriously hope he proves me wrong and If he does fair play to him and I will hold my hand up and admit I was wrong. 

Edited by DanS1992

I like Lawrence. A surprising choice but I get the rationale behind it. We need to let go and forget about the Joiners Arms. Hopefully it inspires him on the pitch to perform well. He is capable. A football captain isn’t a major role like in rugby and cricket so hopefully it gives him a confidence boost. 

More concerning is Rooney’s ‘speech’. I was kinda hoping behind closed doors he was a different character and more jovial. That was dry. No enthusiasm, pure dullness. He can barely string two words together and is surly. I know we’re in for a long season, but he’d send me to sleep if we’re in the trenches needing to pull together. Sort it out Wayne! 

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

More concerning is Rooney’s ‘speech’. I was kinda hoping behind closed doors he was a different character and more jovial. That was dry. No enthusiasm, pure dullness. He can barely string two words together and is surly. I know we’re in for a long season, but he’d send me to sleep if we’re in the trenches needing to pull together. Sort it out Wayne! 

Lol. It's not like he realised there was a camera recording it all! 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. It's not like he realised there was a camera recording it all! 

Regardless, a very awkward speech. Poor body language, fiddling with a bottle, referring to Tom as ‘him’ all the time. Last bit was a muddle about having a problem seeing him rather than me. Just a shoddy presentation. Might sound a little OTT, but I’m even less confident in Rooney after that. 

2 minutes ago, enachops said:

Regardless, a very awkward speech. Poor body language, fiddling with a bottle, referring to Tom as ‘him’ all the time. Last bit was a muddle about having a problem seeing him rather than me. Just a shoddy presentation. Might sound a little OTT, but I’m even less confident in Rooney after that. 

Yep, it does sound OTT. 

28 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Couldn't lead a horse to water.

Shambolic decision.

Hope he proves the neigh sayers wrong.

I actually think this could work out great. He played some of his best football when he was the main man at Ipswich. Perhaps goving him the armband is Rooney’s way of giving him that ego boost to get the best out of him. We certainly need his best next season.