Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

I know people say the captaincy doesn't count for much in football and compared to rugby and cricket it doesn't but it does mean something to the players, it is a role of the pitch to set the tone etc. 

I can see this going well for the first few months and then becoming stickier when it gets cold and wet.

It's a risky strategy to appoint him. I hope that's a sign that Rooney is going to take a few more risks and impose a bit more forward thinking on the side.

Good luck to the lad.

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but was surprised at the positivity of the first few posts.

Brilliant decision, gives a young man some responsibility whilst taking nothing away from those who don't need a black band on their arm in order to lead.

First mega decision from Wayne. Plenty more to come.

Bold decision but we got 1 point from the last 7 games of last season so it's hardly rocking a steady ship is it?

Is Lawrence the captain we need? Is Rooney the manager we need? Are these Americans the owners we need? Is Ravel Morrison the midfield maestro we need? Is switching from beer to red wine the solution to my drinking problem that we need?

All we need is for a couple of those answers to turn out to be a YES and we could have a great season so gwan Wayne gwan Capt. Tom and chin chin everyone x ??

11 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Bold decision but we got 1 point from the last 7 games of last season so it's hardly rocking a steady ship is it?

Is Lawrence the captain we need? Is Rooney the manager we need? Are these Americans the owners we need? Is Ravel Morrison the midfield maestro we need? Is switching from beer to red wine the solution to my drinking problem that we need?

All we need is for a couple of those answers to turn out to be a YES and we could have a great season so gwan Wayne gwan Capt. Tom and chin chin everyone x ??

PerfumedDisguisedBullfrog-max-1mb.gif

GAME 1

tumblr_p3ak6ps3P71vx02uso2_400.gif

GAME 2

c1d4bc64-3703-4b36-bb15-d8977f6f79db_tex

GAME 3

c52b3f53d52f4c2d757d9a38ec29ea47.gif

After Forest at home

Couple of points.....

1. Why film it for public consumption? Why not announce it privately behind closed doors then just release a bland club statement with a nice picture of a corner flag.

2. How did we survive previous pre-seasons without footage of new captains being introduced to the squad..

3. Ok, three points, Wayne Rooney will be a success or not as our manager, so let him make his decisions and get behind him and the team from the word go. If it goes against him then he'll be gone soon enough. If it works then the Rams are on the up again. 

Tom Lawrence is a talented if frustrating player, it'll be interesting to see if he can step up his game and mindset as captain.

Think this is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for the lad. And for anyone writing him off already, fair enough, you’re entitled to your own opinions, but give him a chance!

For me, we still have these natural leaders in the squad, but giving Tom the armband, will hopefully ensure that we get the highest capabilities out of him on a more consistent basis.

Congrats Tom! 

Really looking forward to seeing how this plans out, very optimistic? 

FOUR!

I'm not very good at golf, and I nearly knocked @uttoxram75toupee off his napper there!

then again I did get 3 hole in ones out of 14 holes last week at the crazy golf at Inverness last Sunday and really upset the kids, especially when I made them take a photo of me on 1st place on the winners podium at the end of the day.

7 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

FOUR!

I'm not very good at golf, and I nearly knocked @uttoxram75toupee off his napper there!

then again I did get 3 hole in ones out of 14 holes last week at the crazy golf at Inverness last Sunday and really upset the kids, especially when I made them take a photo of me on 1st place on the winners podium at the end of the day.

We knew you weren't much of a golfer when you wrote FOUR. The following description wasnt needed. It's not cricket old chap. 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

sounds like every free kick will be wasted then not to mention potentially corners as well

His corners are usually pretty good.  
Well last season we had Knight as captain for a game and this is a better decision than that was. Onwards and upwards. 

This is definitely Rooney using a bit if his Sir Alex experience. The decision you would hope was discussed by the coaching staff.

Sir Alex made Cantona captain after his ban for the Kung Fu kick and after he had asked for his contract to be terminated. He lead them to the title.

John Toshack named Craig Bellamy the Wales captain ahead of Giggs. Gareth Bale captains Wales despite having zero interest in playing for Real and they got to a semi final.

I am not saying Lawrence is in this mould of player but divisive players who split opinion have captained sides throughout history, some with great success.

Paulo diCanio, Duncan Ferguson, Jack Grealish 

Rooney et al work with him daily and they know the club has stood by him

Good luck Tom

Good Luck Tom ! If we start well it will be easier. Badly,then you will need to earn your corn. I have a feeling the players will support him so I am quite optimistic that he will be a success. Only thing though is his injury background. Hope he has an injury-free season please!

I was shocked by the news. But it is not the first time Wazza has appointed a new captain. Let’s give them both a chance. We have to stop a rotten run of results. Wazza has a limited budget but this season it will be his team, his captain his tactics and style. Fans in the ground this season will let him know what they think.

At least it show’s that Tom is committed to the club. 
Despite what many think he has a very good goals and assist record at this level and could easily find another club and as he’s in his prime he’ll get a decent contract too.

So for him to take the job shows he’s prepared to stay even when the future for us is so uncertain. He could well be captaining a club with a 12 point deduction in the near future. 
Others have already gone but not Tom.

We all know that on his day he can destroy teams, perhaps he’ll show that side more.

No doubt this is a brave call from Rooney and it’s clearly aimed at unlocking his undoubted talent on a more consistent basis.