Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

Sounds desperate.

It might give Lawro better focus and consistency, but it could just as easily put so much pressure on him that it stops him being effective at all.

Not seen much to dictate he is captain material, even by example. Has he ever captained us? I can name 5 or 6 who have, and a few others better qualified.

All I can see is that he's the most likely to be a nailed on starter each week where others positions are less certain.

12 months on his contract, can you really see him taking a 50% cut to stay on, no matter what we offer in token gestures.

Congratulations to Tom I like him has a player he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism on here for his on the pitch displays. Off the pitch was a different matter obviously. 

I think Wayne sees a lot of himself in Tom in terms of things that have happened to him, Louis Van Gaal  put his trust in Wayne has a captain and it was a controversial appointment at Man Utd at the time. 

Edited by Rambalin

Can only see it as a good thing, given players such as Shinnie, Davies or CKR are going to lead naturally anyway?

If it leads to even a 1% improvement in Lawrence’s maturity and responsibility on the pitch then it’s a big positive. His performances toward the end of the season showed an increased willingness to carry the team on his shoulders and I expect this will only help with that continuing.

Delighted for Tom. Good luck skipper

When you are young you make mistakes but I reckon regardless of anything that has gone before  Tom is a committed hard working player of some considerable skill. I think this could be the sort of decision that will help his self belief hugely. Here’s hoping it will help you reach the potential you have. 

Tom .. this is your moment ?

Look, wouldn't have been many on here's first choice. Hasn't exactly shown leadership qualities in recent years...

But. He is one of the best players left in our squad, despite what many fans would have you believe. He isn't young now, and maybe giving him that responsibility will persuade him to stay here if someone else in the league comes in for him (wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't already happened).

There's a lot to be said for leading by example, and he's going to have to be a key man for us if we are to survive this year. 

Let's be honest he is our best attacking player. Probably one of the best players at the club as is the loss of talent over the past few years.

Good luck to him for the sake of everyone I hope this makes him the talisman we all hoped he would be back in 2017.

Edited by kingsy1884

I feel like this decision isn’t about who is best to lead the team but more that Rooney feels like it might help improve Tom’s attitude and get more out of him.

Whenever games aren’t going his way he is soon to have his head down, so I’ll be interested to see if this changes him.

I’ll get behind him and hope he takes this as a turning point in his career to realise he’s no longer that young player with potential but now a senior figure in the squad that should be leading by example. 

1 minute ago, Mckram said:

I feel like this decision isn’t about who is best to lead the team but more that Rooney feels like it might help improve Tom’s attitude and get more out of him.

Whenever games aren’t going his way he is soon to have his head down, so I’ll be interested to see if this changes him.

I’ll get behind him and hope he takes this as a turning point in his career to realise he’s no longer that young player with potential but now a senior figure in the squad that should be leading by example. 

That’s the only reason I can see but is getting that extra 10% out of Tom at the expense of a good captain getting an extra 5% out of the entire team worth it?