Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Sorry mate. Whilst I honestly don't know if Paul Warne will be a success or not.

He's won promotion from this league 3 times and currently has Rotherham sat 8th in the Championship.

To say it's a sideways step from Rosenior is madness.

You may be right but it just doesn't feel like he's an obvious upgrade at the moment. Maybe given a little time the difference will be obvious.

21 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Warne also seems like a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

Zero goodwill with Derby fans, only ever had one job where he seems to be good in one league and very limited in the league above. Style of play always struck me as quite Rowett-y and probably more suited to a smaller underdog style club.

Got whiffs of the Nigel Pearson appointment.

Meeting last night, Directors with LR, Away form an issue I'd have thought, LR admitting he's still learning, Nice guys may take a little longer to learn the tough issues of league1.

I'd like to think this was LRs call but who knows, This division needs a person who has knowledge of what's what...Warne fits the bill.

COYRs ?

1 minute ago, Mick Brolly said:

Mr Clowes recently save our club so let's back his first big decision it's the least we can do 

Can’t let that stop people from voicing their opinion. It’s essentially the ‘Mel’s put his money where his mouth is’ argument.

Shouldn’t make him invincible.

Assuming that it isn't Liam's idea not to continue, or that he isn't off to pastures new anyway, this all seems a bit sad really.  I don't think he's done anything particularly wrong (I know some people seem to expect us to win every game 5-0 and they're going to continue to be disappointed whoever comes in and fails to achieve that), he's stuck with us when he might not have needed to and he's obviously a bright chap. 

Again, it might all come out that Liam is ok with it and all that, but as with some decisions under Mel, this all seems a bit premature.  I was looking forward to a bit of stability and seeing if he could build a squad over a period of time.

Oh well, while not particularly excited about this Warne bloke I'll give him the same chance I give everybody. I just hope he isn't another Rowett as watching that nearly made me give up my season ticket (in fact, it nearly made me give up on football altogether).

If theres a two year transfer embargo, how then is the current squad strong enough to stay in the Championship next season, if the clubs promoted.

I think for that the club has to seek more than just free agents, but can't because its not allowed to pay for transfers.

The team didn't exist half way through the summer and now is expected to out perform, ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday?

Sheffield wednesday and Ipswich had established teams before they strengthened in the summer. They have transfer budgets.

They have both previously been in the Premier league and championship.

Warnes doing well in the Championship, given that he's managing Rotherham.

16 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

His style of football has got Rotherham promoted and 8th in the championship.

Do you like us going away thinking we played some nice stuff but didn't score?

We haven't got time to worry about style of football right now. We need winning football.

Yes, and Gary Rowett's style of football got us to a Championship Play-off semi-final.

Very few would want to see us play like that again though, most felt they'd had enough of watching it after less than a year.

Edited by Kokosnuss

The reports are that he had a meeting with the board last night - I wonder if Liam was pushing for a longer contract than DC was willing to offer - perhaps he was after 4-5 years and we only offered a rolling 12 mouth deal or suchlike. I guess he’ll stay on to help the transition to the new man while putting his name forward for new opportunities (if he doesn’t already have something lined up)

Well I suppose this was always a possibility given his “interim” title, but it’s an odd one. Typical of the man that he’s not spat his dummy out or chucked his toys out of the pram though, class act.

Warne? Seems equally as bizarre given the previous with him. 

I suppose the stability was nice while it lasted. 

Honestly I am sorry it's not worked out for LR. I was never ever convinced and I've said it before we have barely played well this year consistently.

Clowes has been watching the same games as us. Just like us he wants us to go up fairly quickly. Rosenior has not got the job. He can either give it to him or if he feels like a manager with a proven track record is available and may not be for longer then he has every right to go for it.

He may have looked at the timing. We now have a week and a half on the training ground, how long will Warne be available? 3 out the next 4 games are away. 

Considering we've got worse away from home and haven't scored a goal yet. Clowes is possibly worried by the end of those 3 away games we could be quite a way off.

I don't want this guy.  He's been at Rotherham a long time for someone whose been promoted  up and down.  No one else want's him it seems ?.  Another one who will be learning, albeit in a different form, to manage players who've played at a high level were shouting a lot probably won't work.  Plus he's a bell end.  It's a fat no from me.

16 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

His style of football has got Rotherham promoted and 8th in the championship.

Do you like us going away thinking we played some nice stuff but didn't score?

We haven't got time to worry about style of football right now. We need winning football.

His highest finish was 22nd (relegated).

He's spent 6 seasons teaching his side to play an aggressive, direct, long ball game. Is he going to change his style to suit the player we have, who have a possession based game drilled into them for an even longer period of time? Are the players going to be able to adapt?

Look we've had a solid start but there has been concerns there. The same problems reoccurring.

Is Rosenior really ready to be a manager, especially of a club of this stature and expectation? Probably not let's be honest. I just felt that we were giving him the chance out of sentimentality.

Rooney was absolutely right, we need a fresh start, a completely clean slate with someone in charge who hasn't been involved with what's gone on over the last few years. 

In many ways I like this from Clowes. It is a statement of intent. We're not here to mess around, we are Derby County and we absolutely should be trying to get automatic promotion at the first time of asking.