Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

Grant McCann comes across as a proper thicko. Sends his players out to commit professional fouls and kick the opposition, and then acts offended when the referee susses him out. 

Absolutely spot on, Crewton! As ever a visiting team only got a fraction of the cards they should gave been given. And their reputation as a footballing side is in question. Yes, they do have some talented players, but inevitably a few moments of interplay quickly gave way to the big hoof.

The red card was fully justified - I thought so at the time, and the highlights make it clear. It wasn’t Barky buying the foul, he was tripped deliberately.

Re our “poor passing”: apart from a few sloppy passes around the 70/80 minutes mark, if you look at what the players were trying to do, then the passes weren’t poor, they were passes that nearly worked, and there is a difference. Many times an inch or two difference either side of where the ball actually went and we would have had players in on goal.

Finally, the difference in how we are playing compared with last season is quite breathtaking. We thought that Rosenior was the brains behind Rooney achieving what he did last season, but the evidence would suggest not. Apart from the opening couple of matches, the Cocu-ball “shtay in the match” approach has gone. Even our goal-kick routine is much more direct. Unless thst is because Peterborough are a more attack-minded team so we don’t need to keep prising the bus away from the bus-stop! Our play is much, much more expansive, and us a whole load better to watch, regardless if the result - all credit to Rosenior for that!

28 minutes ago, Srg said:

He was barely touched on the second one, is the point being made. Barkhuizen played for it massively, but that’s football. He didn’t time the challenge and gave the referee a choice to make, and as soon as the choice was a foul then a yellow was always going to follow in that position. 

I actually thought he was going to book Barkhuizen.

Think the ref blew up without knowing what decision he was goint to make.

9 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Significant stereotyping but I have travelled (and stayed at) the length and bredth of the UK; Peterborough is one of the scummiest places hands down I have visited. And being run down or economically worse off than other parts is not something I tend to score a place down for, there are some wonderful communities where the areas are depressed. I have stayed over a handful of times in hotels on overnights and, as is customory, ventured out in the evening for a meal and pint... to the very few establishements they seem to have. Typically wished I hadn't. Agree with your assessment, it is a place that doesn't seem to have any redeeming features.

It has a nice independent theatre, rowing lake, Harriet's tea room and cathedral but the people living there are vile

Did the sending off actually help us? - we did stop passing the ball properly for about 15 minutes even when Forsyth was standing in a completely open half of the pitch, we became less threatening not to mention Peterborough made a defensive substitution and the player who came on scored - so no I don’t think it helped 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Did the sending off actually help us? - we did stop passing the ball properly for about 15 minutes even when Forsyth was standing in a completely open half of the pitch, we became less threatening not to mention Peterborough made a defensive substitution and the player who came on scored - so no I don’t think it helped 

I agree, I think they adapted to the change far better than we did. We became initially a bit passive and sloppy, whilst they went on the front foot. Even at 1-1, they had 9 players in our penalty area at a corner. They weren't playing for a draw at that point, and perhaps they were motivated by a sense of injustice. It possibly worked in our favour in the end. 

I think that initial shift in attitude often happens when teams get a red card. The opposition tend to relax and it's something that the team with 10 men often exploit. 

11 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I’m sure I saw the ref show a yellow card after we scored the second goal? Did this happen? Who was it if it did?

11 hours ago, Crewton said:

He did, but I don't know who it was for. 

10 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I’m not sure it was our player that got booked. He just waved a yellow card in the air.

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Cashin for his celebration I think. 

I saw it as Cashin as he ran past the ref, too busy celebrating to see the reason, but assumed it was something in the celebration or more likely trying the get the ball back to get going again.

I really like the fact that when Knight scored there was no big celebration. A couple ran to get the ball and the rest, especially Knight, wanted to get the game started and go and win it, which of course they did.

Teams that keep going right to the end and score late goals are always successful, it becomes a habit and it definitely becomes something that other teams fear once you've done it a few times.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Re our “poor passing”: apart from a few sloppy passes around the 70/80 minutes mark, if you look at what the players were trying to do, then the passes weren’t poor, they were passes that nearly worked, and there is a difference. Many times an inch or two difference either side of where the ball actually went and we would have had players in on goal.

Player misses a penalty by an inch or two, A poor penalty, My Nan missed the step by an inch or two and fell over, Poor walking, I missed putting my eggs in the cupboard by an inch or two and smashed them, Poor putting away, I was having a good time with a lady friend in bed, Put it in the wrong hole, Poor execution.

IF my Auntie had b ollox she'd have been my uncle? 

46 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I saw it as Cashin as he ran past the ref, too busy celebrating to see the reason, but assumed it was something in the celebration or more likely trying the get the ball back to get going again

Cashin jumped into the South Stand crowd up to about row 3, which is not allowed, therefore a yellow card.

4 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Cashin jumped into the South Stand crowd up to about row 3, which is not allowed, therefore a yellow card.

It was silly but you know Cash gets a free pass every time in my book. He cares, winning is important to him. I remember a game last season when the whistle went and we’d won. His face and clenched fists at the East stand said everything you need to know about his attitude and belief. He’s going places and I hope taking us with him. 

Taking into account

it was late in the game

it was against ten men 

we were chasing the game

but I thought the team that finished the match looked good. More balance in midfield CH more advanced Smith as the anchor with some nice positive pass. Fuzzy made a difference and Didzy looked a level above everyone else

wouldn’t mind seeing this team start the next league match with the Didzy on the bench alongside NML and Collins starting 

Just remembered this - who was the idiot in the south stand who decided to throw the ball backwards and not return it to their keeper when we were losing 1-0. It was taking their keeper over a minute to take a goal lick as it was without that. Did make me laugh when it took him under a second when it was 2-1.