Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It was noticeable that, even at 1-1 and down to 10 men, Peterborough had 8 players in our area and we had everyone back. It's not just LR though,  apart from the occasional experiment leaving 1, 2 or very rarely 3 players up, every manager I can recall over the last 10 years has done the same. I really don't understand the thinking.

It was madness that with a man extra we didn’t put someone on the half way line when they got a corner. 

Should have been Dobbin up there. They would have kept two men back meaning with the taker, we would have a 9-7 advantage in the box.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

It was noticeable that, even at 1-1 and down to 10 men, Peterborough had 8 players in our area and we had everyone back. It's not just LR though,  apart from the occasional experiment leaving 1, 2 or very rarely 3 players up, every manager I can recall over the last 10 years has done the same. I really don't understand the thinking.

I’m sure McClaren was asked about this and he said the reason was that the more bodies in the box the better as it’s more congested and harder for someone to get a clear run at the ball or get space for a shot. It didn’t stop Knighty though did it ??

30 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I’m sure McClaren was asked about this and he said the reason was that the more bodies in the box the better as it’s more congested and harder for someone to get a clear run at the ball or get space for a shot. It didn’t stop Knighty though did it ??

The key to Knight's goal was taking the corner before opposition were completely set and before they'd had chance to set all of their markers up. Same delivery even 3 seconds later and it's not a goal.

What I can't remember ever being explained are those situations from goal kicks where every single player but one runs to one side of pitch, but he's left in acres of space where one relatively simple pass would put him one on one. with the keeper and no covering defenders. The ball always gets punted high and to the player on the crowded side though.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

The key to Knight's goal was taking the corner before opposition were completely set and before they'd had chance to set all of their markers up. Same delivery even 3 seconds later and it's not a goal.

What I can't remember ever being explained are those situations from goal kicks where every single player but one runs to one side of pitch, but he's left in acres of space where one relatively simple pass would put him one on one. with the keeper and no covering defenders. The ball always gets punted high and to the player on the crowded side though.

Absolutely this with not allowing the opposition to be completely set. We don't often do things quickly. Plus Sibley made the run to Hourihane for the pretend short corner, which took out one of the men defending the front post who had to follow him, meaning there was a much clearer route through to Knight for the header.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Absolutely this with not allowing the opposition to be completely set. We don't often do things quickly. Plus Sibley made the run to Hourihane for the pretend short corner, which took out one of the men defending the front post who had to follow him, meaning there was a much clearer route through to Knight for the header.

Yeah, the highlights sell that goal short because really it’s the pressure of consecutive corners which cause the terrible marking and completely free (albeit well executed) header. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

He also took the man for away from the middle for Didzy's shot/goal. Collins atm doesn't seem to find or make space.

Edited by RoyMac5

On 28/08/2022 at 14:09, Unlucky Alf said:

I spent 6 months in Freiston in an establishment in 1975 ?, Dykes, Fields full of Sugar Beet and the Wash, The nearest thing to a hill was when we stacked the sugar beat and covered it in hey

Mate, you're not allowed to use that term anymore - you have to say 'a member of the LBGTQ+ community'.....

13 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

You’ve taken the words right out if my mouth, Koko! I’ve had the same thought several times over the last few matches. 

Just imagine Dobbin getting the ball like that and the nearest defender is 50 yards away! 

Edited by DavesaRam

I've seen a lot of Peterborough fans hammering the referee for the sending off, now the first one obviously wasn't in question you can't kick out at a player when you're on the floor. The second one I've seen been described as a dive... A look back on the replay shows the Peterborough defender's foot on top (or in the side) of Barkhuizen's - with his knee across the man. 

image.png.5ecfc4190c2274d22c6d7441ce2e79bc.png

Open and shut case. 

Also, looking back Barkhuizen probably should've had a hat-trick in the first half! 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've seen a lot of Peterborough fans hammering the referee for the sending off, now the first one obviously wasn't in question you can't kick out at a player when you're on the floor. The second one I've seen been described as a dive... A look back on the replay shows the Peterborough defender's foot on top (or in the side) of Barkhuizen's - with his knee across the man. 

image.png.5ecfc4190c2274d22c6d7441ce2e79bc.png

Open and shut case. 

Also, looking back Barkhuizen probably should've had a hat-trick in the first half! 

Good screenshot and his knee certainly looks to be in the way. Not sure about his foot. Unless he's got tiny feet it looks more as if Barks foot is on the defenders if anything.

I still think the defender was trying to get out the way (irrelevant though I guess) and Barks went down very easily. I can see why the ref gave it and it seems to have been the right decision in the end but, in the heat of the moment, it could easily have been given the other way for a dive. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He also took the man for away from the middle for Didzy's shot/goal. Collins atm doesn't seem to find or make space.

LM made a point of the exact opposite of this after a recent game 

Said the goals weren't coming but he was making space for others. 

I think it was after the Barnsley game. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

LM made a point of the exact opposite of this after a recent game 

Said the goals weren't coming but he was making space for others. 

I think it was after the Barnsley game. 

Why take him off then? ?

I said atm, he's played better than the last couple of games.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Good screenshot and his knee certainly looks to be in the way. Not sure about his foot. Unless he's got tiny feet it looks more as if Barks foot is on the defenders if anything.

I still think the defender was trying to get out the way (irrelevant though I guess) and Barks went down very easily. I can see why the ref gave it and it seems to have been the right decision in the end but, in the heat of the moment, it could easily have been given the other way for a dive. 

The defender was only trying to withdraw an ill timed challenge and not his first one in the game. Looking back at the club's short highlights at about 1 minute in, he makes another wild challenge which Barks skipped over before pulling it back for Sibbo to sky over the bar. I've seen refs go back and give a yellow in those circumstances, after playing advantage. As previously said, there doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul, if a player has to jump over a challenge in order to avoid contact and potential injury, it is still a foul.