Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

11 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

The ref was a puzzle today. He booked a Peterborough player for kicking the ball away but then let other players do the same go unpunished at least one Peterborough and Dobbin for Derby. 

Marriott kicked it away 3 times in the first 10 minutes, crafty sod. 

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Marriott kicked it away 3 times in the first 10 minutes, crafty sod. 

He also showed us, as if we needed reminding, that he actually can’t play football outside of the box. Tried to score from half way and could barely kick it as far as the area, fell over the ball etc. He’s a curious footballer. 

Back from the stadium. My brief thoughts.

Bit of a messy game, could have been 2-2 at half time and when they went down to ten men we just totally switched off until the 80th minute. Lots to work for Rosenior to do still.

Having said all that, there is no feeling quite like scoring two very late goals to win a football match. If you could bottle that feeling and sell it you'd be richer than Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos combined.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Interesting game that 

fantastic finish to the game 

Peterborough we’re ok but we were wasteful again 

on Tuesday against WBA we had energy in midfield with Thompson knight and Smith whilst today Bird and Hourahan were struggling against a 5 man midfield and made little movement and I have to be honest it’s a big honour to captain the side but Bird needs to be on top form or he will lose his starting spot. Roberts has done nothing wrong but Forsyth is better in terms of delivering the ball and giving us an out ball 

Totally agree apart from the Bird bit he had a off day but that boy is quality.

As a general football comment, if I was a manager in this league I’d be exasperated by how wasteful strikers are when they are in good positions with time and space. Was the same for both sides today.

A bit of composure lads for christ sakes, a player willing to take a touch on the ball must be worth their weight in goal-d in this league

45 minutes ago, Srg said:

He also showed us, as if we needed reminding, that he actually can’t play football outside of the box. Tried to score from half way and could barely kick it as far as the area, fell over the ball etc. He’s a curious footballer. 

I'd have backed myself to score that one from Wildsmiths pass. 

Well that was more difficult than I thought it would be. But Smith was really good when he came in and Bird maybe needs a rest, sloppy at times and compared to Smith too safety first. Barkz was strong, Hourihane not so. McG hopefully gets fitter and fitter and starts soon in the league. Collins, especially in the first half, was doing all the right moves but he has that Martin'esgue frustration seemingly built in him that I don't like. Fortunately he doesn't chew gum. Sibbo and Dobbin got a whole game, really good and especially Sibbo looked dangerous 1st half. NLM would've been a nice option from the bench but we managed! A good win in the end.

Well we really enjoyed that. Frustrating   for much of the time but really looking forward to Look East and Anglia news for next couple of days. Mum knew they would lose as "they were all short and overweight with huge bums". Today's highlight mum standing, pointing and singing "who are ya". 

Wasnt going to boo marriott just because of Leeds away but then saw him do nasty little backwards kick at one of ours right in front of us so then he was fair game

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

As a general football comment, if I was a manager in this league I’d be exasperated by how wasteful strikers are when they are in good positions with time and space. Was the same for both sides today.

A bit of composure lads for christ sakes, a player willing to take a touch on the ball must be worth their weight in goal-d in this league

That might change now we've bagged another couple. When you simply can't get the ball over the line, you will try to hard, so when an opportunity comes your way you are likely to snatch at the shot, so it goes over the bar, wide, or bobbles along the floor to the keeper. We were doing it today, but that monkey may well be off our back now!

9 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

That might change now we've bagged another couple. When you simply can't get the ball over the line, you will try to hard, so when an opportunity comes your way you are likely to snatch at the shot, so it goes over the bar, wide, or bobbles along the floor to the keeper. We were doing it today, but that monkey may well be off our back now!

It was both teams though mate, Peterborough got in some great positions with men forward and Clarke-Harris would snap a ball high and wide. I don’t get it and I’d be giving him an absolute earful about it if I was his team mate.

Think we are a bit guilty of trying too hard though and is a good summation of how a few of them played. Big example would be Hourihane’s corner routines, when he simply floated one in to the penalty spot we got a goal!

Edited by TuffLuff