Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

A win against West Brom made it five unbeaten. We return to League football against the division's top scorers.

In our 7 home games against Peterborough, we have only lost once (1993)

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Roberts

Mendez-Laing               Barkhuizen

Dobbin   Collins

Subs: Loach, Rooney, Forsyth, Tommo, Smith, Sibley, McGoldrick

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A win against West Brom made it five unbeaten. We return to League football against the division's top scorers.

In our 7 home games against Peterborough, we have only lost once (1993)

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Roberts

Mendez-Laing               Barkhuizen

Dobbin   Collins

Subs: Loach, Rooney, Forsyth, Tommo, Smith, Sibley, McGoldrick

I think Sibley may start over NML if he has missed many days training due to family reasons.

Sibley has to be the first name on the team sheet. And even though we often play him out of position, I don't mean in goal. Against the Baggies he had far and away our three best attempts. No one else comes close to bringing his level of goal threat and, as a club, we are starved of goals. It's not as if he doesn't also fully contribute to the team. And the whole team plays better when he's on the pitch as he gives us such better options and attacking intent than the other midfielders. Fairness is so important to me. Rosenior has done plenty of good things but he's been taking the easy option in some of his team selections, not picking the side on merit but instead going by reputation. For instance, if both are fit competing for the same spot, it's much easier to pick Hourihane and leave Sibley on the bench. But enough is enough. Louie has kept his head down, worked hard and consistently been out best player over the season to date. If he's fit and Rosenior doesn't pick him on Saturday, I'm calling for Rosenior to go. The manager has to be brave and do the right thing. That way is the path to promotion. I'm thinking Rosenior will finally acknowledge this and go:

Wildsmith

Knight     Stearman     Cashin     Roberts

Bird     Hourihane

Mendez-Laing     Sibley     Barkhuizen

Collins

Subs: Loach Oduroh Forsyth Rooney Smith McGoldrick Dobbin

McGoldrick will continue to be eased in gently. If Mendez-Laing still has family stuff to sort out, Dobbin will come in (he's close to demanding a start anyway) and either Thompson or Agathise for the bench.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Our midfield against WBA was very energetic - knight Smith Thompson - but it will be - Bird hourihane Smith probably 

Smith and Thompson weren’t particularly good on the ball though. Smith made a number of misplaced passes 

A bit of heads up info:

I don't know much about the League One playerwise, but I'd be surprised if some team has a better goalkeeper than Peterborough does. Lucas Bergström, on loan youngster from Chelsea, is expected to be the next big thing and continuing the Finnish tradition of great goalkeepers. 

He has massive frame, 6 feet 9", and for his size, he has ridiculous reactions. Biggest weakness at the moment is distribution with the feet.

Found a little clip of him this season. Seems like he has won their some points already.

Hopefully, we will take our shooting boots with us this time around...

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Louie has kept his head down, worked hard and consistently been out best player over the season to date. If he's fit and Rosenior doesn't pick him on Saturday, I'm calling for Rosenior to go.

I'm getting slighty concerned by your posts lately.  You make Mel's decision making seem sensible. Will you be calling for Clowes to go if he doesn't get rid of Rosenior on Saturday eve?

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm getting slighty concerned by your posts lately.  You make Mel's decision making seem sensible. Will you be calling for Clowes to go if he doesn't get rid of Rosenior on Saturday eve?

He's gone full "Campy's Dad" hasn't he? 

No-one is bigger than the club/team, even if he's your favourite player. 

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Louie has kept his head down, worked hard and consistently been out best player over the season to date. If he's fit and Rosenior doesn't pick him on Saturday, I'm calling for Rosenior to go. The manager has to be brave and do the right thing. 

While I agree that Sibley has done well and should start this seems like an odd stance to take before a ball has been kicked. What if he doesn’t pick Sibley and the side he picks goes on the win 5-0, will you still call for him to go? What if he starts Sibley on the bench and brings him on when their defence is tiring and he grabs himself a couple of goals, isn’t that potentially good tactical awareness from Rosenior? What if he starts Sibley and Sibley has a shocker, scores a hat trick of own goals and gets sent off? Is that on Rosenior?

I want to see Derby succeed after a rubbish few years off the pitch, Rosenior is currently the person paid to make that happen, it’s his responsibility to pick the team based on what he sees in training, what his staff have analysed about the game, what he knows the strengths of his squad to be etc, and he’s made a solid enough start to life as the manager. Calling for him to be sacked for his potential selection decision surrounding one player seems extreme to me. ??‍♂️ 

It’s an odd stance to take agree with you … think Carl was probably just being a lil melodramatic ha! 

27 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

While I agree that Sibley has done well and should start this seems like an odd stance to take before a ball has been kicked. What if he doesn’t pick Sibley and the side he picks goes on the win 5-0, will you still call for him to go? What if he starts Sibley on the bench and brings him on when their defence is tiring and he grabs himself a couple of goals, isn’t that potentially good tactical awareness from Rosenior? What if he starts Sibley and Sibley has a shocker, scores a hat trick of own goals and gets sent off? Is that on Rosenior?

I want to see Derby succeed after a rubbish few years off the pitch, Rosenior is currently the person paid to make that happen, it’s his responsibility to pick the team based on what he sees in training, what his staff have analysed about the game, what he knows the strengths of his squad to be etc, and he’s made a solid enough start to life as the manager. Calling for him to be sacked for his potential selection decision surrounding one player seems extreme to me. ??‍♂️