Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Apart from the delight of the last 10 mins I can’t say I enjoyed that. Heads dropped when the goals didn’t go in. Midfield surrendered. Hourihan and Bird were absent for so much of the game. Can’t win enough second balls, passing was off for big chunks of the second half. Peterborough are game and tough .. but crude and nothing special, they too had a share of the poor passing, bad control and fluffed shots. Can’t get that excited about Dobbin. Lively and hard working yes, but there’s something missing - hopefully game time and experience will help him find it. We miss NML. Collins looking rattled. Needs to play against Grimsby and get one. 

Cashin, apart from an early error, was excellent again, as was Knighty. Once again it was McGoldrick who was the catalyst aided and abetted byFozzy who turned up and played well like he always has. Sibley did well and was consistently aggressive and forward thinking. 
After they went down to 10 men our midfield looked somewhere between lazy and knackered

Still, we kept plugging away and won ugly .. I think that’s what you need to do to win leagues. COYR

Fantastic noise towards the end felt like the whole stadium was singing and chanting rather than just the South Stand. 

21 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My enjoyment of this weekend is directly proportionate to this result. My brother in law will be here and he is a Peterborough fan.

I quite simply cannot have him in my house gloating all night if they win.

Well. That was almost a disaster!

54 minutes ago, tombomb said:

Great substitutions from Rosenior. Has to be praised heavily for that. Even if I dont like this ridiculous goal kick routine.

I love it.
It's all about finesse.  Patience.  Skill.  A means to an end.  It's the thinking man's approach.  It involves movement, and gentle caressing.

I liken it very much to making love to a beautiful woman... although that usually doesn't involve a 6 yard box... obviously!   ?

15 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Couldn’t follow the game as I’ve been driving my folks around various parts of West Wales for the day, with a Ram displayed proudly on my chest throughout, not read a match report yet or this thread but bloody chuffed with the result. ? 

I bet that perked up the locals!  ?

#Weknowwhatweare...

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I love it.
It's all about finesse.  Patience.  Skill.  A means to an end.  It's the thinking man's approach.  It involves movement, and gentle caressing.

I liken it very much to making love to a beautiful woman... although that usually doesn't involve a 6 yard box... obviously!   ?

Three men in a row, a practised routine, ending with a last desperate pump nowhere near its target.

CCCDBC6E-21BF-438B-94FC-08A5B9EE3743.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Well we stole that - and it was a great ending!

Poor forward play for most of the game.

A game of two red card decisions. Thompson, who had been strong in defence, sent off for a second yellow as Barks broke the long jump record.

Stearman seeing yellow not red when last man (admittedly near half way)

Subs again made a difference. Smith was calm and accurate. McGoldrick the man we needed when the chance came.

Knight head and shoulders above the six out of tens.

Good to win ugly 

Cash was goal side I think?

For the second successive season we have needed to rely on Peterborough getting a man sent off and a very late goal to beat them.  This time we nearly lost to them despite us having a numerical advantage for the last 35 minutes. 

Happy with the result of course but still think we need to be more convincing in front of goal. Maybe I ask for too much. 

Must say, unless my eyes were deceiving me, Sibbers was on fire at the start.  He "could" have had a hat trick in the opening 5 mins!... I say "could", and not "should", as he did nowt wrong, from what I saw.  Was just scuppered by jobsworth defending and a little bad luck.

Glad to see him get a full 90 under his belt.
He's maturing nicely, in my book.  

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

For the second successive season we have needed to rely on Peterborough getting a man sent off and a very late goal to beat them.  This time we nearly lost to them despite us having a numerical advantage for the last 35 minutes. 

Happy with the result of course but still think we need to be more convincing in front of goal. Maybe I ask for too much. 

To be fair, their goalie made some very good and sometimes lucky saves and blocks 

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Must say, unless my eyes were deceiving me, Sibbers was on fire at the start.  He "could" have had a hat trick in the opening 5 mins!... I say "could", and not "should", as he did nowt wrong, from what I saw.  Was just scuppered by jobsworth defending and a little bad luck.

Glad to see him get a full 90 under his belt.
He's maturing nicely, in my book.  

Could’ve easily have gotten dragged into an altercation first half too. Got up, got their man booked. Maturity showing. 

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

To be fair we were also a man down last season.

We currently have the best defensive record in the league. Scoring is the issue and it has been for some time. But to me it looks like we are creating quality chances. I don't think you are asking for too much. If we can start actually putting the ball in the back of the net then we will be a force.

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Cash was goal side I think?

He got there because the Posh player was in a heap. He would have struggled to get back otherwise.

I thought JCH and Marriott gave our defenders a hard time today.

Some of our defending was last ditch rather than assured.

Anyway, doesn’t matter now - we won ?

Played well in parts. Bird and Hourihane had very average games and Hourihane needs to up his game somewhat.  Not enough influence coming from a player of his ability.  Collins needs time out- seems frustrated and shouting from minute one rather than concentrating on his game .  I thought he looked efficient  for the first few games but lack of goals is clearly bothering him.  McGoldrick looking decent but we need to use him for what he is- a 35 year old with a half of football, not 90 minutes so we need another attacking option and by that not a striker/winger jack of all trades.  Still think we need to get Knight in midfield.  Absolutely superb today bar one slip which he bust a gut to recover. If he's still here in a few days we've done well, a bargain at 10 million for any club.