Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

?

8AD46326-D021-46C9-999C-8FE49CB4C294.jpeg

Madness really but that’s football. As I walked away from the game with my 9 year old lad ( both of us in our rams shirts) a posh fan made a point of saying ‘Cheating Derby barstools’ I turned round and said something along the lines of grow up my kids with me to get a response of ‘What you want a go’. Really couldn’t believe it and maybe 10 years ago my response would have been very different. We all get frustrated by the game which is why we love it so much but come on. There’s plenty out there who they’d get a response out of, me without my lad prob being one. Suck it up, be a big boy and take the loss. 

Onto the game. The less the said the better. As well as McGoldrick and Fozzy did it was Smith for me who was the difference. Constantly trying to play forward and be progressive. I love Bird but at times he could do with sitting down and watching a George Thorne reel. He is too fond of just being the pivot between the CB’s. He is more than capable of receiving the ball on the halft turn and playing forward. He could quite easily have got Stears sent off today. He is technically so good but needs to be more progressive with his passing. But 3 points is a good return and we move onto the next. 

COYR ??

1 hour ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Just a brief note on my post match experience. Unfortunately I had to get to London tonight in order to get a flight in the morning. After dashing away from PP, I ended up on a delayed London-bound train full of inebriated Posh fans.

Now I have been on many a boozy away day in my time. And probably annoyed locals in cities all around the country by being noisy and even unruly. But these guys were vile. Two late 40-something guys decided to intimidate an older lady,  travelling on her own, because she asked them to leave her alone when they tried to banter with her. They were disgustingly unpleasant to her constantly for the half hour that it took to get to Leicester, where they left the train. She was in tears after they had gone. This was done in front of their teenage sons who smirked and giggled throughout. The rest of the carriage was rammed and no less offensive. I can honestly say that I have never seen Rams fans behaving like that. Ever.

One of my minor concerns was not really having many clubs to hate in this league (other than Wycombe, of course). Posh have gone to the top of the list for me now. Tinpot club, vile fans.

I am SO glad that we broke their hearts today, in their cup final.

Significant stereotyping but I have travelled (and stayed at) the length and bredth of the UK; Peterborough is one of the scummiest places hands down I have visited. And being run down or economically worse off than other parts is not something I tend to score a place down for, there are some wonderful communities where the areas are depressed. I have stayed over a handful of times in hotels on overnights and, as is customory, ventured out in the evening for a meal and pint... to the very few establishements they seem to have. Typically wished I hadn't. Agree with your assessment, it is a place that doesn't seem to have any redeeming features.

7 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Significant stereotyping but I have travelled (and stayed at) the length and bredth of the UK; Peterborough is one of the scummiest places hands down I have visited. And being run down or economically worse off than other parts is not something I tend to score a place down for, there are some wonderful communities where the areas are depressed. I have stayed over a handful of times in hotels on overnights and, as is customory, ventured out in the evening for a meal and pint... to the very few establishements they seem to have. Typically wished I hadn't. Agree with your assessment, it is a place that doesn't seem to have any redeeming features.

I believe the place won s*** est town in the UK five years on the trot.  

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/worst-places-live-england-2020-21226813

I lived in Peterborough for 4 years in the late 1980s and had to travel frequently on business between 2012 and 2015.

The place appeared to have had no investment so what was all shiny new and well kept when I lived there was decayed and tatty. 

I believe that the place has also suffered greatly from a large influx of some Eastern European communities such as Albanian which have caused societal tensions. 

Well took both my kids today (first time with both), 5 and 3, enjoyed it though a struggle at times and then meltdown when we walked all the way through the north stand to get to rammie to be told no more photos. Gutted. (I wanted the photo not the kids ?)

As for the game. We were crap. Let’s be honest. Good first 10-15, good last 5 mins of the first half, then we were ok last 15 chasing the game. In between no control of the game, many below par performances and while Peterborough were marginally better we still created the best chances. Can’t say we deserved the win but we deserved something. But we got the goals when it mattered, if only we had been as clinical in the away games we’d be top.

Weve had a difficult start against teams who nearly all will be vying for the playoffs, 11 points from 6 and top 6 is decent and we’re nowhere near our potential. It’s promising.

In terms of performance today, shout outs to Knight who was excellent throughout, Barkhuizen who was always a threat, Sibley who always looked likely to create something and Collins who ran all day with little reward. McGoldrick was excellent when he came on, Dobbin had a poor game but produced 2 or 3 moments of real quality when it mattered including the assist for the winner. Of those below par, thought Bird and Hourihane were both off it today think partly due to Peterborough shutting them down. 

We take the points and we move on. 26400 again today - we’re doing our bit and currently players are doing theirs though there is massive potential still to be unlocked and we need to unlock it if we’re going to meet our aspirations this season

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Re: Stearman’s challenge, it was 50/50 I think and I’d be going mad if it was the other way round, but I think two things worked in our favour. 1) Stearman genuinely attempted to get the ball rather than the man. Whilst he went to ground there was no malice. 2) I think Clarke-Harris has gone to win the foul/ride the challenge rather than go round Stearman to go through. I say this because I think C-H wanted to go through I think he could have avoided Stearman (this being in the North Stand and being in line with it). I’m sure there are people going ‘well it shouldn’t matter’, but I fully disagree with them because I think it does. If C-H attempts to make the run and gets taken out then it’d be a red, but he wasn’t honest enough and actually kept Stearman on the pitch. 

It was a yellow as Cashin was covering .  They can moan all they like.

35 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sibley shoved Nathan Thompson to the ground at one point which bizarrely led to a home free kick and a caution for the Posh defender.

My suspicion would be the attempt to latch his testicles onto the underside of his boot probably didn't help

Thompson was lucky not to get a red there. It wasn't a late tackle, the ball had gone ages before, it was was just a kick out at Sibley, violent conduct.

Good match today. I think Derby played well in parts. A lot of balls didn’t work out but at least we were going for incisive passes etc rather than slow safe balls. Peterborough good at cutting stuff out. Great character at the end like so many times in the last year or two. Poor finishing by Peterborough, Derby could have scored more first half too. Forsyth was good when he came on and scored his trademark goal (was disallowed) but that kind of cross and head is a threat. Collins needs more time. Knight immense. Cashin saved us as well. 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There centre half had 4 bookable challenges before he was subbed.  the one they had was a tough red but silly to dangle his leg in. 

How was it tough red? The second offence was a clear yellow card. Are you talking about the first one which I didn't see. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

How was it tough red? The second offence was a clear yellow card. Are you talking about the first one which I didn't see. 

He was barely touched on the second one, is the point being made. Barkhuizen played for it massively, but that’s football. He didn’t time the challenge and gave the referee a choice to make, and as soon as the choice was a foul then a yellow was always going to follow in that position. 

Just now, Srg said:

He was barely touched on the second one, is the point being made. Barkhuizen played for it massively, but that’s football. He didn’t time the challenge and gave the referee a choice to make, and as soon as the choice was a foul then a yellow was always going to follow in that position. 

I agree, but the optimal word.  The ref could have been lenient, but we would have been furious.  

One of those refereeing calls that are literally impossible.