Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

24 minutes ago, jono said:

Apart from the delight of the last 10 mins I can’t say I enjoyed that. Heads dropped when the goals didn’t go in. Midfield surrendered. Hourihan and Bird were absent for so much of the game. Can’t win enough second balls, passing was off for big chunks of the second half. Peterborough are game and tough .. but crude and nothing special, they too had a share of the poor passing, bad control and fluffed shots. Can’t get that excited about Dobbin. Lively and hard working yes, but there’s something missing - hopefully game time and experience will help him find it. We miss NML. Collins looking rattled. Needs to play against Grimsby and get one. 

Cashin, apart from an early error, was excellent again, as was Knighty. Once again it was McGoldrick who was the catalyst aided and abetted byFozzy who turned up and played well like he always has. Sibley did well and was consistently aggressive and forward thinking. 
After they went down to 10 men our midfield looked somewhere between lazy and knackered

Still, we kept plugging away and won ugly .. I think that’s what you need to do to win leagues. COYR

Fantastic noise towards the end felt like the whole stadium was singing and chanting rather than just the South Stand. 

I actually enjoyed the game especially the first half. Obviously made sweeter by the win and two late goals.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He got there because the Posh player was in a heap. He would have struggled to get back otherwise.

I thought JCH and Marriott gave our defenders a hard time today.

Some of our defending was last ditch rather than assured.

Anyway, doesn’t matter now - we won ?

Nah, unless there’s a nerd who can show a freeze frame I’m convinced Cash was a touch goal side.

I was right in line with it.

plus I had replays! ?

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

For the second successive season we have needed to rely on Peterborough getting a man sent off and a very late goal to beat them.  This time we nearly lost to them despite us having a numerical advantage for the last 35 minutes. 

Happy with the result of course but still think we need to be more convincing in front of goal. Maybe I ask for too much. 

I think we had the man sent off but I could be wrong .  Captain Tom who went to Magaluf with Kirchner for 3 weeks when we had 3 very winnable games to come . nil points . 

Interesting game that 

fantastic finish to the game 

Peterborough we’re ok but we were wasteful again 

on Tuesday against WBA we had energy in midfield with Thompson knight and Smith whilst today Bird and Hourahan were struggling against a 5 man midfield and made little movement and I have to be honest it’s a big honour to captain the side but Bird needs to be on top form or he will lose his starting spot. Roberts has done nothing wrong but Forsyth is better in terms of delivering the ball and giving us an out ball 

Just back from the match and gotta say that apart from the final few mins it was pretty disappointing, with goal scoring is becoming a real concern.

That said, they stuck at it and pulled it out of the fire at the end *and* if you can win when you're playing badly, thats a good sign ?

I'm still hoping we have a strong end to the transfer window as we're still short 3-4 players.  If we do, it will make the league table (which is already looking pretty good despite us not hitting top gear yet) look far better than it already does. 

I was concerned that given the late pre-season and time needed to gel, we'd be playing catchup after half a dozen games but we've consistently picked up points and played some good football at times.  If a Premier League team wants to loan out a player to a team that plays quality football and will be in the mix at the end of the season, we must surely be in pole position. 

COYR

Untitled-1.png

Just got back. First ten minutes thought we should have had at least one goal. Knocking it around nicely. Then squeeky bum time with Wildsmith but they didn't take their chances until early second half. Collins desperately needs to score. Confidence will come through scoring. Once he starts he will bag a load. Their goalie had his lucky pants on which saved an almost certain goal. Last ten minutes absolute mental. Bird then McGoldrick = scenes. Noise at end was phenomenal.  Fair play to Peterborough fans who provided good support. Voice gone and am in process of lubricating vocal chords which may take a time! Onwards and upwards. UTR!

Wildsmith one dreadful pass to Peterborough and some hesitation on coming for crosses but we won

knight - MoM scored and could have had 3 headed goals this season 

Stearman - ok

Cashin - he had a poor pass to Peterborough as well but decent overall 

Roberts - did nothing wrong but he has got to be very good to start over Forsyth 

Bird - not great 

hourihane - did well in the last 10 mins but not the previous 80 

Sibley - doing well early on but faded as the game wore on 

Dobbin - I thought he used the ball poorly until he actually got the ball to McGoldrick late on 

Barkhauzen - used the ball very well especially in the first half 

Collins - needs to start Tuesday needs a goal and I can’t remember him getting a shot today as he was coming too deep looking for the ball 

subs - Forsyth- it’s obvious but he gives us an out ball and can and will try to cross to our players he also had a goal disallowed and hit the bar - 

Smith - played well last Tuesday and again today driving us forward late on 

McGoldrick - obviously can’t spend his day running around everywhere but in the right place when it mattered 

Pride Park - the place to be!!!

I had a tooth out yesterday, and felt rough since. I really shouldn't have gone, but had to be there. I felt rough throughout the match, but was really happy to be there.

The first 5 minutes were a bit hairy, especially as we set them up with a couple of sitters. But from then on we were in the ascendency. It was a great match to watch, and Peterborough have an air of wanting the ball, matched with an aggressive approach, along with being rather crude and dirty at times.

At the ned of the first half I knew we could have been 2 or 3 goals up. Peterborough had their chances too, mostly because we set them up, but I was well satisfied with what we had done, bar scoring.

As expected Peterborough came out and kicked on, but I am not so sure that we did our usual lethargic start to the half. The game was fairly even, but we were still the ones creating the opportunities. We went behind to a sloppy goal, and it does seem that a lot of the goals we concede are sloppy, rather than us being carved open by the opposition's gameplay.

But that last 10 minutes were something else! I don't have any idea how Jason Knight climbed so high to head the equalizer, and by then we were all over Peterborough, so the winner was an absolute delight, but no surprise.

Jason Knight was head and shoulders above every one else with a stupendous performance, Dobbin is very exciting, and Sibley played well, as you would expect when played in his best position. The ref appeared to be reasonable, especially booking a player for kicking the ball away - when does that ever happen in the modern game?, but was still more than willing to give Peterborough free-kicks for simply falling over, and on numerous occasions nothing to Derby for players being cleaned out.  Fozzy's headed goal was rightly ruled out because of a tiny little nudge on the defender, but huge pushes and shoves on Derby players went unpunished. As was a complete body check on McGoldrick on the left wing touchline late on the game. If there is no agenda against us this season then there is terrible inconsistency.

Finally - it is brilliant to see virtually the whole stadium acting as one - the anti-EFL song and "Who are you" after we went ahead. Keep it up you Rammies!

Bring n the next match!

Overall we were average at best today but its a sign of a top team to win when not playing well. Coming from behind to win is also a good sign.

Right call from LR to take Collins & Bird off. Previous games Collins has played well overall but today he was off it, ive been pretty disappointed with Bird so far this season, I really thought he would dictate more of the play than he has. Smith played a big part in changing the game.

Without NML it showed we lack options on the bench in attacking areas, we could do with another 2 attacking players in before the transfer window shuts imo.

3 out of 3 wins at home, first time in 25yrs we have done that at the start of the season. Not bad for a new team who is yet to hit its stride. 6 unbeaten overall too.

Edited by DCFC1388

38 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Played well in parts. Bird and Hourihane had very average games and Hourihane needs to up his game somewhat.  Not enough influence coming from a player of his ability.  Collins needs time out- seems frustrated and shouting from minute one rather than concentrating on his game .  I thought he looked efficient  for the first few games but lack of goals is clearly bothering him.  McGoldrick looking decent but we need to use him for what he is- a 35 year old with a half of football, not 90 minutes so we need another attacking option and by that not a striker/winger jack of all trades.  Still think we need to get Knight in midfield.  Absolutely superb today bar one slip which he bust a gut to recover. If he's still here in a few days we've done well, a bargain at 10 million for any club.

I am a bit worried about Rosenior 's post match interview. Praising Knight .. sounded a bit like a farewell tribute, I hope not. 

Edited by PistoldPete

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Overall we were average at best today but its a sign of a top team to win when not playing well. Coming from behind to win is also a good sign.

Right call from LR to take Collins & Bird off. Previous games Collins has played well overall but today he was off it, ive been pretty disappointed with Bird so far this season, I really thought he would dictate more of the play than he has. Smith played a big part in changing the game.

Without NML it showed we lack options on the bench in attacking areas, we could do with another 2 attacking players in before the transfer window shuts imo.

3 out of 3 wins at home, first time in 25yrs we have done that at the start of the season. Not bad for a new team who is yet to hit its stride. 6 unbeaten overall too.

Also LR has consistently said he is working on peak team fitness around October November so all good..especially for the older squad players.

51 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think we had the man sent off but I could be wrong .  Captain Tom who went to Magaluf with Kirchner for 3 weeks when we had 3 very winnable games to come . nil points . 

We did but they had a man sent off first we had numerical advantage for a while but still couldn't score. And Captain Tom getting sent off was a self inflicted wound which cost us dear, although as it happened not in the Peterborough game.