Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

6 hours ago, nottingram said:

Thought it was a dive by Barkhuizen or at best he had little interest in anything other than drawing a foul. Stupid tackle though and once a foul was given it’s a very clear second yellow in that area of the pitch. 

Same clown who spent the entire second half hobbling around and time wasting last season until Lawrence booted him 10 feet in the air and gave him a real reason to hobble. Can’t say I was too sympathetic on either occasion.

It looked minor and not a yellow, but if you allow the opposition to run at you and are not careful with your tackle you give the ref a decision to make.

38 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Exactly, if the ref deemed it to be a foul, it had to be a yellow card. It stopped a dangerous attack.

I’ve watched the incident several times and I must say, I’d be very unhappy if that had been given against us and one of our defenders had been sent off. It’s difficult without slow motion but it looked to me as if the defender pulled his leg away and Barks just went down to “win” the foul. I thought at the time that Barks was going to get booked for diving and I haven’t seen a great deal to change my mind. At the very least, no foul should have been given and Barks should have been told to get up and get on with it rather than being booked IMO.

I think we got lucky but we’ve had plenty go against us. Not much consolation to Peterborough though.

3 hours ago, jono said:

It must be the worst situation for both Liam and James. You’re the chosen new No9 in a squad a long time short of scorers. Your in the Autumn of your career and you hit a barren patch. New fans, new team mates, new manager and you have nothing to point to after half a dozen games. He isn’t the first to have a hoodoo round his neck. Forlan at ManU ? It was dire, he worked his bar locks off but just couldn’t score. Managed a brave in the mincer headed winner against Liverpool. The fans never turned on him because he gave everything. Ended up elsewhere and won a European golden boot. Derek Hales ? … Who knows, but I’ve been watching Collins a lot. Yesterday he was rattled, confidence not great but he is a worker, isn’t afraid and gets himself in good positions. He’s been less than lucky in the chances dept … but it’s worth remembering the same applies to others - but they don’t carry No9 on the shirt.
 I just hope it works out for him. Just before their goal he was the one doing headed clearances from our box. .. It could go either way. I desperately want him in the side and getting a brace against Grimsby. That might shift the ground a bit and it’s doable. Just wishing him luck

I was pleased on Radio Derby to hear Ed Dawes was calling for fans to be patient with Collins and reminding people how long it took between Chris Martin's arrival before he started scoring regularly. Really hope it works out for him as he could be a massive player for us this season.

I was so annoyed in the first half when he did great work to win the corner and the bastid ref inexplicably gave a goal kick, a decision that cost me £100 as I was one short on Rams corners at the end with what I thought was quite a safe wager.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve watched the incident several times and I must say, I’d be very unhappy if that had been given against us and one of our defenders had been sent off. It’s difficult without slow motion but it looked to me as if the defender pulled his leg away and Barks just went down to “win” the foul. I thought at the time that Barks was going to get booked for diving and I haven’t seen a great deal to change my mind. At the very least, no foul should have been given and Barks should have been told to get up and get on with it rather than being booked IMO.

I think we got lucky but we’ve had plenty go against us. Not much consolation to Peterborough though.

The defender stuck his foot out across Barkhuizen's stride well after Barks had put the ball past him. I'm guessing the ref viewed it as an attempt to impede Barks progress with no attempt to play the ball. There may or may not have been contact, but there doesn't have to be for the attacker to be put off balance. He was unlucky insofar as some refs would probably have viewed it differently, but as others have pointed out, he'd pushed his luck on a few occasions and could have been sent off for kicking out at Sibley. 

Yes, I'd have been annoyed if one of ours got sent off for that, because it's very subjective, but I'd probably have been relieved that he wasn't sent off earlier. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

As I've said, from my viewing angle it looked a foul and I would have liked to see the incident again from the south stand camera view. Neither the highlights nor the review shows decided to show that angle on Rams TV.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

As I've said, from my viewing angle it looked a foul and I would have liked to see the incident again from the south stand camera view. Neither the highlights nor the review shows decided to show that angle on Rams TV.

Agreed, it looks like he had a nibble as in the first half, and then Barks went down. 
We do need that south stand view and i'm slightly surprised it hasn't been shown. There's the other view on the Full Match replay but it's obscured by the goal and again seems to show the foot being dangled in, and Barks going over - again though it's not the right angle to be conclusive

I suspect contact was slight, as Thompson had a word with Barks as he went off. But equally he was on a yellow, he'd shown the ref previously he was happy to shove his foot in, and he consciously moved his foot in the direction of the player and got nowhere near the ball again. So he gave him a decision to make. 

With regard to the sending off, there does not have to be contact for a foul to be given. If the referee is of the opinion that the player committing the offence was attempting to foul, regardless of contact, it is a free kick. In the Saturday case I am also not sure he wasn’t sent off for dissent. The card was a while after the initial foul was given anyway, and the player was giving the ref a few verbals.

1. Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges

jumps at

kicks or attempts to kick

pushes

strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)

tackles or challenges

trips or attempts to trip

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

21 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Player misses a penalty by an inch or two, A poor penalty, My Nan missed the step by an inch or two and fell over, Poor walking, I missed putting my eggs in the cupboard by an inch or two and smashed them, Poor putting away, I was having a good time with a lady friend in bed, Put it in the wrong hole, Poor execution.

IF my Auntie had b ollox she'd have been my uncle? 

Just how, exactly, were you planning to execute her?  ?

Watching from the east stand it was hard to tell with certainty whether there was a foul but I really thought the ref looked like he was going to book barks and I was surprised when he booked the defender , don’t know if he changed his mind or if I was just reading his first reaction wrong , just happy it went the way it did