Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I was 10 yards away and I think we got lucky , but over the season it all evens out.Liam is still backing Collins to get loads of goals. In him we trust.

Just watched highlights, think it was a dive by Barkhuizen, Shaun Barker seemed to share my view that the referee did not really know what he had blown for.

At this moment in time I'm not really seeing what exactly Collins brings to the team but I probably said the same about Steve Howard at the same stage of his Derby career.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just watched highlights, think it was a dive by Barkhuizen, Shaun Barker seemed to share my view that the referee did not really know what he had blown for.

At this moment in time I'm not really seeing what exactly Collins brings to the team but I probably said the same about Steve Howard at the same stage of his Derby career.

Barkhauzen did the same full back twice in the first half and seemed to wait for him to dive in again, I think it was a foul but not sure it’s a yellow card but how many like that did we get done on last season. Collins hasn’t really got a lot of help from central midfield and has been served up battling balls to have a go at but he still could have scored three by now, whilst the team is not converting nowhere near enough from the chances we are getting but if we do then who knows how many we could score.

Thought it was a dive by Barkhuizen or at best he had little interest in anything other than drawing a foul. Stupid tackle though and once a foul was given it’s a very clear second yellow in that area of the pitch. 

Same clown who spent the entire second half hobbling around and time wasting last season until Lawrence booted him 10 feet in the air and gave him a real reason to hobble. Can’t say I was too sympathetic on either occasion.

37 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Spalding is deepest fenland. 

The only redeeming feature I recall about the fens is that property tended to be cheap. 

I spent 6 months in Freiston in an establishment in 1975 ?, Dykes, Fields full of Sugar Beet and the Wash, The nearest thing to a hill was when we stacked the sugar beat and covered it in hey

52 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Barkhauzen did the same full back twice in the first half and seemed to wait for him to dive in again, I think it was a foul but not sure it’s a yellow card but how many like that did we get done on last season. Collins hasn’t really got a lot of help from central midfield and has been served up battling balls to have a go at but he still could have scored three by now, whilst the team is not converting nowhere near enough from the chances we are getting but if we do then who knows how many we could score.

Agreed re central midfield.

Actually disappointed with Hourihane so far, think he has way more to offer and Id like to see him playing higher up the field rather than in Birds pocket.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I worked there for a few weeks in 1980 after it had suffered allot of cockney migration (it was a 'new town' designed to attract thousands of people from Greater London). It was pretty grim, but I wasn't there long enough to find out if it had any redeeming features. 

Yes it does. The A1 (both North and South) gets you out of the place!

Haven’t read through every page in this thread so this may have been mentioned…

But after watching the highlights this morning I couldn’t believe Peterborough were allowed to wear that colour kit?! Very pale, off white and surely a clash?

Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things but thought the authorities were hot on this these days to help people with visibility issues. I know we had black shorts and socks, but still.

Oh, and a great 3 points. It’s coming together nicely. Particularly when remembering where we were just a couple of months ago ??

Edited by Ramrob

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It must be the worst situation for both Liam and James. You’re the chosen new No9 in a squad a long time short of scorers. Your in the Autumn of your career and you hit a barren patch. New fans, new team mates, new manager and you have nothing to point to after half a dozen games. He isn’t the first to have a hoodoo round his neck. Forlan at ManU ? It was dire, he worked his bar locks off but just couldn’t score. Managed a brave in the mincer headed winner against Liverpool. The fans never turned on him because he gave everything. Ended up elsewhere and won a European golden boot. Derek Hales ? … Who knows, but I’ve been watching Collins a lot. Yesterday he was rattled, confidence not great but he is a worker, isn’t afraid and gets himself in good positions. He’s been less than lucky in the chances dept … but it’s worth remembering the same applies to others - but they don’t carry No9 on the shirt.
 I just hope it works out for him. Just before their goal he was the one doing headed clearances from our box. .. It could go either way. I desperately want him in the side and getting a brace against Grimsby. That might shift the ground a bit and it’s doable. Just wishing him luck

3 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Think Barks got a slight touc and like any striker does makes the most of it and goes to ground. See it every game in the Prem every week the force of the challenge is irrelevant it is still a foul. It is then up to the ref to decide on the severity and the sanction if necessary. 

Watching back on the tv from a different angle, it looked very soft. But sitting in the lower east, directly in line with Barks direction of play, it looked a definite foul, one which prevented progression into the box and a nailed on yellow card. If he was the same player that kicked Sibley, he should have had a straight red anyway.

Just now, RIMBAUD said:

The same player lunged in on barks in the first half but missed him. I think it was when it was pulled back for sibley 

it’s presumably the way the fella plays.

And yesterday it got him sent off

Exactly this. The ref spoke to him three times before his first booking. There's a fair argument for saying he should already have been off the pitch.

10 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Absolutely spot on, Crewton! As ever a visiting team only got a fraction of the cards they should gave been given. And their reputation as a footballing side is in question. Yes, they do have some talented players, but inevitably a few moments of interplay quickly gave way to the big hoof.

The red card was fully justified - I thought so at the time, and the highlights make it clear. It wasn’t Barky buying the foul, he was tripped deliberately.

Re our “poor passing”: apart from a few sloppy passes around the 70/80 minutes mark, if you look at what the players were trying to do, then the passes weren’t poor, they were passes that nearly worked, and there is a difference. Many times an inch or two difference either side of where the ball actually went and we would have had players in on goal.

Finally, the difference in how we are playing compared with last season is quite breathtaking. We thought that Rosenior was the brains behind Rooney achieving what he did last season, but the evidence would suggest not. Apart from the opening couple of matches, the Cocu-ball “shtay in the match” approach has gone. Even our goal-kick routine is much more direct. Unless thst is because Peterborough are a more attack-minded team so we don’t need to keep prising the bus away from the bus-stop! Our play is much, much more expansive, and us a whole load better to watch, regardless if the result - all credit to Rosenior for that!

Totally agree. Great post. I noticed we weren't always looking for the instant pass, we were dribbling with the ball slightly more, allowing us another dimension. Best football I've seen us play in a long time. 

Yes, passes went astray, but that goes with making forward passes. I don't mind us trying. 

Been surprised with the negative reaction. I was really pleased with the match, and it leaves me really looking forward to the next league game. That's not a feeling I've had in a long time, let me tell you.