Embargo and Transfer restrictions lifted

B4ev6is

Whilst it's great news that the EFL restrictions have been lifted, that is on the understanding we operate in line with our proposed business plan, which I imagine is probably pretty conservative in terms of projected spend and revenues. A business plan to the liking of the EFL in fact.

We can move freely but not bigly.

We should spend big and for accounting purposes put all the fees on the last year of the new signings’ contracts. Will be in the premier league by then so FFP won’t matter. can’t see anything that can go wrong. 

also we should be targeting whoever Middlesbrough are trying to sign and gazump them 

1 minute ago, littleover ram said:

We should spend big and for accounting purposes put all the fees on the last year of the new signings’ contracts. Will be in the premier league by then so FFP won’t matter. can’t see anything that can go wrong. 

also we should be targeting whoever Middlesbrough are trying to sign and gazump them 

Looks like Mel is back on the forum. 😀

54 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You jest, but the timing is interesting. Perhaps it's just (another) coincidence? Or, as others have implied, did the EFL want to ensure Derby had stayed down before taking their foot off the club's throat? 

I'm glad it's happened. I will never be convinced the EFL have treated us remotely fairly. 

All you need to remember

In this case, Derby County is seeking to use insolvency legislation to avoid having to defend the claims of Middlesbrough FC (which commenced initially in January 2021) and Wycombe Wanderers FC. Derby County considers those claims should not be treated as football related debts and that it would be wrong for the EFL to require the Club to have to continue to defend the claims as a condition of continuing membership in circumstances where they have been compromised by way of a restructuring plan. The EFL does not agree with that analysis.

13 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Anyone who doesn’t know the difference between there and their can generally be disregarded in my opinion.

Are they aware of the general concept of ‘humour’. I suspect they would misinterpret anything to feel good about themselves. 

They also don’t know the difference between “there” and “they’re”.  This is taught to 10-year olds in Year 5 English.  Jeez.

I think this summer will be a very interesting one in terms of the landscape and finances in football. Look, the Premier League is the Premier League and that's why we still see high valuations for players at clubs - any promoted team are well within their right to spend £100-200m and you're deemed as unambitious if you don't. 

In the Football League, however, the amount of teams willing to pay big wages and big fees has seemingly evaporated. 

Teams in the Championship last season turned a profit of roughly £120m. In fact, there was only Norwich, Millwall, Sunderland and Sheffield United who had a net spend greater than £2m in the league - It looks like only eight teams spent more than £3m total. I just thought it was important when considering the market for our young players. It's actually difficult to see much of one out there, unless we're willing to ship them for cheap and even then it's a small pool of teams who would be interested due to their wages - assuming that all three are roughly around £9-12k at Derby. 

The flip side, obviously, is that the market is low and even with moderate fees - clubs may be lowering their expectations of fees for players. Aside from Joey Barton, obviously, who still thinks he will get £4m plus for Aaron Collins.