Embargo and Transfer restrictions lifted

B4ev6is

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good job he's still got 1 year on his contract...

Even with the extension activated, does he want to be playing in League One as a full international? I hope I'm wrong on this front but to me, he's clocked out of Derby now in his mind. Although gutting, I totally understand it for his career progression.

If he doesn't have any intention of agreeing a longer contract, then we have to sell this summer to avoid foreign clubs like Celtic signing him on pre contract agreements in January for little compensation. 

Is Jason Knight the difference maker in the team that would propel us to promotion next season then let go on a free/compensation? Or is it better to sell now for whatever we can get, then reinvest in new longer term players to fix the issues we have with the overall squad. 

Thomas and Warne are paid the big bucks to decide on that. 

10 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Even with the extension activated, does he want to be playing in League One as a full international? I hope I'm wrong on this front but to me, he's clocked out of Derby now in his mind. Although gutting, I totally understand it for his career progression.

If he doesn't have any intention of agreeing a longer contract, then we have to sell this summer to avoid foreign clubs like Celtic signing him on pre contract agreements in January for little compensation. 

Is Jason Knight the difference maker in the team that would propel us to promotion next season then let go on a free/compensation? Or is it better to sell now for whatever we can get, then reinvest in new longer term players to fix the issues we have with the overall squad. 

Thomas and Warne are paid the big bucks to decide on that. 

Warne has publicly said he won't hold players as prisoners when referring to Bielik. I don't see why he would act differently for Knight?

9 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Knight is a tough one to call, he probably was our most saleable asset 18 months ago and we may have got between £1-2m for him.

But I don't think his inconspicuous performances this season have done us any favours, either on the pitch or for potential transfer, I doubt he'd command a fee in excess of £1m now, he hasn't cemented a position in the team, can't get in the central 2 ahead of Bird and Hourihane,  doesn't produce enough in the final 3rd to play further forwards and has been shoe-horned in to a wide position more often than not.

Strange thing is, of all the midfielders,  he's probably the one that fits the profile Warne wants due to his energy levels, I suspect we will keep him and risk the compensation route at the end of the season, not sure there will be a queue knocking on the door to start a bidding war.

300k to 1m way to freaking low for jasion knight more like 10 to 15m.

5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

More like 15m actully.

No way in any shape or form will we be getting that sum for a midfielder with one year left on his contract that hasn't exactly been ripping up trees in L1. That is just delusional. 2 to 3 million would be a reasonable amount, and that's on the high end of the scale. 

1 minute ago, DanS1992 said:

No way in any shape or form will we be getting that sum for a midfielder with one year left on his contract that hasn't exactly been ripping up trees in L1. That is just delusional. 2 to 3 million would be a reasonable amount, and that's on the high end of the scale. 

Still to low that being ripped off. Warn likes jasion knight I think he very very very good players it is about time stop selling our players for peanuts and get prober money for him if we are going to sell him.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

Still to low that being ripped off. Warn likes jasion knight I think he very very very good players it is about time stop selling our players for peanuts and get prober money for him if we are going to sell him.

And if no-one offers the sort of silly amounts you are wanting, what then when his contract runs out next season?

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, B4ev6is said:

Clubs will only pay what they think he is worth. That will depend on things like how long he has to run on his contract (1 year means they could just wait and pick him up for modest compensation), how many goals and assists he has (not many despite his work rate and commitment), what the typical price is in the market for similar players (there aren’t many 22 year olds being sold for £10-15 million at the moment unless they’re very special or at a club further up the leagues).

Your passion is admirable but you might need to lower your expectations B4

16 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

That's all well and good saying that, but just because you dictate that the club would like to get 10 mill plus, doesn't mean that we will get it. What determines the value of the player are multiple factors.

The first one being contract length, unfortunately Knight has only a year left once the option is levied, this significantly reduces the price of the player.

Secondly, age and potential are to be factored in. Knighty is what now, 22 years old? He is no longer a "young lad" in footballing terms, and hasn't really kicked on from the early promise of being a 10 mill + player. This again reduces value.

Finally, the division in which the player plies his trade and the performance in that said division should be taken into account. The lower down the pyramid you go, the less valuable the player. This is if course relative to the level of opposition the player comes up against. The better the performance in the better league, the higher the value. Unfortunately Knight is playing in L1 and hasn't really been setting it alight.

For me, taking all this into account, I would say that 2-3 million with a sell on fee would be reasonable and fair. It's not about being ripped off, it's about the right price for the player based on age, contract length and performance of the player in the division which we find ourselves in.

However, if a club wishes to splash 10 mill + on Knighty, I would of course love it and snap their hand off. But I just don't realistically see it happening.

Edited by DanS1992

Just now, Rich3478 said:

Do you not watch him? He’s just not that good!

wouldn’t a £15m player do more than he did in league one?

would say £1m tops, I’m still not even sure what his best position is.

Yes I watch him and rate him.

2 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I don’t dislike knight by the way, think he’s a decent player with great attitude and great energy. Just not convinced he’s a good enough footballer to play premier league.

Well he can play at that level that I am sure off and only reason why we are at this level because we were put here and he crafs hard and plays for the team other teams know he is a threat and he gave liverpool and west ham a night mate to control him so dont tell me he is worth less.

18 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well if like little peterboro can get club sign there players for 10m to 15m for there players why cant we.

Their record fee received for a player is £7M for Assombalonga from Forest. They got £6M for Ivan Toney, £5.3M for Dwight Gayle - all big goalscorers at the time.

League 1 midfield players who aren't goalscorers and who only have a year left on their contracts, Irish internationals or not, just aren't going to fetch more than a couple of million at best, probably not even that.

I think our best bet is that he wants to stay and is daft enough to sign a new contract. Fingers-crossed eh?

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Their record fee received for a player is £7M for Assombalonga from Forest. They got £6M for Ivan Toney, £5.3M for Dwight Gayle - all big goalscorers at the time.

League 1 midfield players who aren't goalscorers and who only have a year left on their contracts, Irish internationals or not, just aren't going to fetch more than a couple of million at best, probably not even that.

I think our best bet is that he wants to stay and is daft enough to sign a new contract. Fingers-crossed eh?

Realistically the price of our players if you put everyone for sale 

Wildsmith 300-500k

Cashin 2-3m

forsyth - below £50-100k

smith £250-300k

Bird 1-2 m

knight 1-2.5m tops 

sibley 3-750k top 

NML 350-500k

barkhuizen 2-300k

hourihane 500-750k 

collins 2-350 k