Embargo and Transfer restrictions lifted

B4ev6is

Re - Knight

Ive always rated Knight and for me his best position would be in a midfield 3 playing the Bryson role. Ironically he’s played in this position about 3 times since he came in to the team. 

This season once again he’s been a victim of his own flexibility. He’s played at least half the season at right back or right wing back, he is neither but churned out 6/10 performances most weeks to be fair to him. The other half of the season he played as an attacking midfielder ‘in the hole’, his goal and assist record speaks for itself, this is not his position. 

Unfortunately we’re now left with a player who’s probably ready to leave, has only 1 year left on his contract and whose season was average. Can’t see us getting more than £3m for him. 

If he stays great, but I think he’ll go and I wish him the best. As others have pointed out there’s plenty of worthy replacements knocking around.

Funny how Im over the playoff disappointment already and quite excited about the next few weeks and next season.

If we had sneaked the playoffs I would now be feeling anxious about the risk of another Wembley disappointment.. Excited also I might add.

Maybe as I’m am middle aged I’m just happy when things aren’t going wrong. It feels a bit like things going right.

on reflection,i think not making the play offs has done us a favour.if we had gone up to the championship a bigger rebuild would have been needed,and i am absolutely convinced the efl would not of lifted the embargo and let us be competitive, as it is another season in league 1 is obviously seen as fitting punishment and we are now able to build for the future

42 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

on reflection,i think not making the play offs has done us a favour.if we had gone up to the championship a bigger rebuild would have been needed,and i am absolutely convinced the efl would not of lifted the embargo and let us be competitive, as it is another season in league 1 is obviously seen as fitting punishment and we are now able to build for the future

The decisions around our spending was already negotiated according to the RamsTrust minutes from a fans meeting a few weeks or more ago. The only thing stopping us putting our business plan in to the EFL for next season was not being sure of the league we'd be in.

So I am sure the EFL had looked at our budgeting and agreed to lift transfer restrictions whichever league we played in.

But we didn't get into the Play-offs and that's that. I'd have rather we'd taken our opportunity to get promotion but in the end we weren't good enough.  

Edited by RoyMac5

Striker I'd want us to look at would be Ben House. I think he'd be a decent pressing forward that would suit Warne's pressing, although his aerial duels aren't great, if he's paired with a big lad up top it could work quite well.

image.png.93c7e61916e44f3928e39e41c2d6adf0.png

Edited by Jubbs

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

The decisions around our spending was already negotiated according to the RamsTrust minutes from a fans meeting a few weeks or more ago. The only thing stopping us putting our business plan in to the EFL for next season was not being sure of the league we'd be in.

So I am sure the EFL had looked at our budgeting and agreed to lift transfer restrictions whichever league we played in.

But we didn't get into the Play-offs and that's that. I'd have rather we'd taken our opportunity to get promotion but in the end we weren't good enough.  

the decision had definitely been made already,it normally takes the efl months/years for such decisions as we know,but i am convinced a different decision was waiting had we have got promoted,but as you say,we are where we are so will never know

Edited by TINMANTED
add text

6 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

Agreed. From a supporter perspective, at this moment I'd rather be fighting for promotion than battling relegation which is what would have been likely if we'd gone up. Of course we're going to miss out on a lot of players who want to play Championship but equally, because we're a decent sized club, that's off-set somewhat. As you say, we can afford to take younger players on and let them get the games in readiness for the step up.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's not quite true,  in that it was written ready for either scenario but the EFL still had to approve it.

I'd say indications were good, though.

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's not quite true,  in that it was written ready for either scenario but the EFL still had to approve it.

I'd say indications were good, though.

Yeah sorry I kinda paraphrased because I couldn't be bothered to find the links. 👍

Hard to wait for the ins, dying to know what the overall confidence levels will be, I still believe

that had we had Chester fit and Beilik in Midfield we would have been up there with Plymouth

and Ipswich, so it follows, automatic is definitely on the cards this time around 🥂

13 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Hard to wait for the ins, dying to know what the overall confidence levels will be, I still believe

that had we had Chester fit and Beilik in Midfield we would have been up there with Plymouth

and Ipswich, so it follows, automatic is definitely on the cards this time around 🥂

Still wouldn't have scored many. We'd have been trying to do a Sheffield Wednesday...

On 12/05/2023 at 17:07, ossieram said:

Has anything come from the club regarding this, or are we just going off the radio Derby report?

Just watch the Warne interview that came out a day or two ago. 

On 11/05/2023 at 23:02, kevinhectoring said:

In financial terms Knight is our MVP by a mile and for good reason.

‘Not nailing down a position’? Any sane manager starts him right attacking midfield. You seem to be blaming him because the manager thinks he’s good enough to start in a position that doesn’t suit him. I think he’ll go. If he does I really wish him well but we’ll have done very well if we have a better player next season 

Right attacking mid? Really? A player with little pace, almost no acceleration, not a technical dribbler and almost no end product. Wing back for his stamina and ability to support both defensively and offensively, maybe, but an attacking right mid is insane to me. 

He’s a box to box midfielder who offers high energy and can keep the ball. He’s not a player you can rely on for creatively or goals, he just isn’t good enough technically, nor is he a defensively player. He’s simply a support midfielder. Get him in amongst it, he’s an asset, but he’s not a player you can rely on to win you games.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Right attacking mid? Really? A player with little pace, almost no acceleration, not a technical dribbler and almost no end product. Wing back for his stamina and ability to support both defensively and offensively, maybe, but an attacking right mid is insane to me. 

He’s a box to box midfielder who offers high energy and can keep the ball. He’s not a player you can rely on for creatively or goals, he just isn’t good enough technically, nor is he a defensively player. He’s simply a support midfielder. Get him in amongst it, he’s an asset, but he’s not a player you can rely on to win you games.

Sure, Knight is not a player you can rely on to win you games  Put him in a midfield with complementary players though, and the midfield will win you plenty. We’ve not seen the best of him this season. AM is too shorthand to describe what role he does best - as you point out