Embargo and Transfer restrictions lifted

B4ev6is

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Because they know he is threat.

Jensen Weir for Morecambe got 10 goals and 5 assists playing CM, aged 21.

Scott Fraser for Charlton and Lewis Wing for Wycombe, 9 goals and 5 assists each. Brannagan got 9 goals and 2 assists for Oxford. Luke Leahy 9 goals and 4 assists for Shrewsbury. 

Sure, he played full back for a part. Bali Mumba got 6 goals and 7 assists for Plymouth playing full back. Bobby Thomas got 6 goals and 3 assists in defence for Barnsley. Shaun Rooney for Fleetwood playing full back for 6 goals and 4 assists. Connor Bradley for Bolton playing full back for 5 goals and 4 assists. 

Jason Knight scored 2 goals and assisted 3. That's a very poor return for a multi million pound player, especially one you say is £15m. Sure he runs around but there has to be more.

As folk have said, he's 22 now, no longer a "wonderkid". He's just had a below average season in League One and didn't stand out at all, as shown by not nailing down a position. If we didn't have Knight this season, we wouldn't have missed him. Rooney just would've played more. If we didn't have McGoldrick or Wildsmith, we wouldn't be anywhere near the play offs. 

On 10/05/2023 at 08:30, SuffolkRam said:

the one thing that made Sunday easier was that we wouldn’t have been able to sign decent champ players if we had gone up, so waiting another year wasn’t so bad. 😫

Hope you’re right and that it’s only one more year 

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Jason Knight scored 2 goals and assisted 3. That's a very poor return for a multi million pound player, especially one you say is £15m. Sure he runs around but there has to be more.

As folk have said, he's 22 now, no longer a "wonderkid". He's just had a below average season in League One and didn't stand out at all, as shown by not nailing down a position. If we didn't have Knight this season, we wouldn't have missed him. Rooney just would've played more. If we didn't have McGoldrick or Wildsmith, we wouldn't be anywhere near the play offs. 

In financial terms Knight is our MVP by a mile and for good reason.

‘Not nailing down a position’? Any sane manager starts him right attacking midfield. You seem to be blaming him because the manager thinks he’s good enough to start in a position that doesn’t suit him. I think he’ll go. If he does I really wish him well but we’ll have done very well if we have a better player next season 

He helps set up att

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Scott Fraser for Charlton and Lewis Wing for Wycombe, 9 goals and 5 assists each. Brannagan got 9 goals and 2 assists for Oxford. Luke Leahy 9 goals and 4 assists for Shrewsbury. 

Sure, he played full back for a part. Bali Mumba got 6 goals and 7 assists for Plymouth playing full back. Bobby Thomas got 6 goals and 3 assists in defence for Barnsley. Shaun Rooney for Fleetwood playing full back for 6 goals and 4 assists. Connor Bradley for Bolton playing full back for 5 goals and 4 assists. 

He still a young player not like 30 plus is he and not in his urine yet is he and irland international and that commands a bloody good fee and talent I wish was in charge I get 15m plus fee for him.

22 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He helps set up att

He still a young player not like 30 plus is he and not in his urine yet is he and irland international and that commands a bloody good fee and talent I wish was in charge I get 15m plus fee for him.

If you think you'd get £15m for him, I'd suggest there's one lot of urine being extracted here. 

2 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

He is a good young player whose maturity helped him to reach closer to his potential at a young age than most other players do.

I do think we would have missed him in comparison to Rooney.

With one year left on his contract we'd struggle to get more than £2m.

Not every midfielder needs to score 10 goals a season.  Players like McGovern, George Williams and Daryll Powell probably got 40 goals between them in 1500 games.  Trick is too play someone with them to get 10-15 and use them for what they're best at.  Mendez Laing was half the player without Knight doing the dirty work for him.   We have no other player with his desire or work rate. In a settled position not at fullback, then out wide, then in the 10 etc  I'd still fancy him to get 8-12 a season .  His average in his first season was about that rate and that was at a higher level.  It will be noticed when he's gone. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

He is a good young player whose maturity helped him to reach closer to his potential at a young age than most other players do.

I do think we would have missed him in comparison to Rooney.

With one year left on his contract we'd struggle to get more than £2m.

In 6 months, unless he's winning to extend contract further he can sign pre contract agreements with foreign clubs. The route for a lot of Irish players is to end up at Celtic. 

Looking at his seeming goodbye reaction on Sunday, it appears he isn't signing a new extended contract. That means either sell him now, or risk losing him for limited compensation next summer. 

As you suggest, £2m does appear the max really we'd be able to achieve on him. I'd say that's pushing the limits too sadly.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

In financial terms Knight is our MVP by a mile and for good reason.

‘Not nailing down a position’? Any sane manager starts him right attacking midfield. You seem to be blaming him because the manager thinks he’s good enough to start in a position that doesn’t suit him. I think he’ll go. If he does I really wish him well but we’ll have done very well if we have a better player next season 

He doesn’t score or assist anywhere near enough to be one of your attacking players

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not every midfielder needs to score 10 goals a season.  Players like McGovern, George Williams and Daryll Powell probably got 40 goals between them in 1500 games.  Trick is too play someone with them to get 10-15 and use them for what they're best at.  Mendez Laing was half the player without Knight doing the dirty work for him.   We have no other player with his desire or work rate. In a settled position not at fullback, then out wide, then in the 10 etc  I'd still fancy him to get 8-12 a season .  His average in his first season was about that rate and that was at a higher level.  It will be noticed when he's gone. 

Between them they got 35 goals at Derby, 73 in their careers. At Derby McG got 16 in 190, Williams 9 in 277, Powell 10 in 207.

10 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Knight didn't nail down a position, that's correct. He started the season. Missed a few (9 I think) with injury. He had a run at right back basically because him playing there was seen to be (by PW who knows more than you and I put together) the best solution. Then Smith took over at RB. Knight then played AM, DM, left wing back, right wing back and the #10 role.

He is a player with a huge work rate who can play more roles. PW chose to utilise that. When fit he's in the side. Where he plays depends on who's fit, who's in form, who's not, the opposition and how they play will have had some effect, the tactics PW wanted to use in that game....

Factually, you are correct. JK didn't nail down a position. However, IMO (and that's not necessarily better or more right than yours), he was falling prey to his ability to play multiple roles (same applies to Sibs who played many roles during the season) and doing what the manager thought was best for the team in any particular game).