End of season celebrations.

The Club have issued a statement regarding the possibility of criminal proceedings to any fans who encroach onto the pitch after final game .Should we gain promotion and get out of this awful League 1 after all of the ups and downs over the last few years l would have thought a simple gesture of letting the long suffering supporters celebrate and applaud the players is perfectly acceptable .Pompey fans assembled on the pitch last week after promotion was gained and created a fantastic spectacle.Why are Rams fans denied the opportunity after all it was common practice even in the great Clough era.The Club cites H&S worries and seems to forget that we are adults and do not need wrapping in cotton wool thank you very much.As a Club we have had little to celebrate in recent years ,Powers that be chill and let the supporters celebrate and thank the players in the time honoured way.

14 minutes ago, old tray boy said:

The Club have issued a statement regarding the possibility of criminal proceedings to any fans who encroach onto the pitch after final game .Should we gain promotion and get out of this awful League 1 after all of the ups and downs over the last few years l would have thought a simple gesture of letting the long suffering supporters celebrate and applaud the players is perfectly acceptable .Pompey fans assembled on the pitch last week after promotion was gained and created a fantastic spectacle.Why are Rams fans denied the opportunity after all it was common practice even in the great Clough era.The Club cites H&S worries and seems to forget that we are adults and do not need wrapping in cotton wool thank you very much.As a Club we have had little to celebrate in recent years ,Powers that be chill and let the supporters celebrate and thank the players in the time honoured way.

Pompey fans assaulted a Barnsley player on the pitch and some pubs were looted on the night in Southsea, hopefully if we do get to celebrate we do it in style and not like idiots . 

The club should just encourage fans to do it in a respectful way, being respectful to players, coaches, officials, and visiting fans.

To warn people of criminal proceedings strikes me as mean-spirited.

The fans have been on the PP pitch before. Southampton and Brighton at home in the play-offs, and during the victory parade after Wembley in 2007, for instance.

If it’s done in the right spirit, it’s a natural way to celebrate and release those emotions.

Edited by Jourdan

Personally I think a pitch invasion for reclaiming our normal place in the Championship would be a bit tinpot.

Letting the players celebrate together and then having a lap of honour is a far classier move than invading the pitch and swarming the players, including opposition players who are left in a pretty vulnerable position in the majority of these over-glorified pitch invasions.

Edited by Carnero

28 minutes ago, old tray boy said:

But I'm guessing its still okay to get naked?

Washington Nationals Mlb GIF by Storyful

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Personally I think a pitch invasion for reclaiming our normal place in the Championship would be a bit tinpot.

Letting the players celebrate together and then having a lap of honour is a far classier move than invading the pitch and swarming the players, including opposition players who are left in a pretty vulnerable position in the majority of these over-glorified pitch invasions.

The club just have to be prepared for it and allow it in a controlled way.

I think it’s fine to let the fans invade the pitch and soak in the moment, before returning to their seats so the players can do their lap of honour and celebrate and lift the trophy with fans who have stayed behind.

48 minutes ago, old tray boy said:

I suspect the club just felt obliged to issue such a warning but know it might still happen.

Personally, whilst it's something worth celebrating, it's not as if we've won the league or anything so I'd prefer we all just stayed in the stands and allowed the players and their families to do a proper lap of honour. 

Regarding H&S, I was at the Tamworth game two weeks ago when they sealed promotion for the second year running. Some numpty must have fallen over the advertising hoardings (needless to say, there is no upper tier at Tamworth 😀) and had to be taken away on a stretcher by St. John's Ambulance.

49 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yeah but you are probably in your 40's, 50's or older. As no doubt are Mucker 1984 and obviously Reggie Greenwood(I too remember him). Young lads like my son and his mates in the South stand are going to want to do it, just like we did back in the day. Stop being such a sensible/miserable old far*  

1 minute ago, DB83 said:

I don’t know why anyone is even thinking about this given that there may well be absolutely nothing to celebrate by the end of the season.

Nothing would be more derbyesque than a 40 page argument about how we should be allowed to celebrate before promptly losing to Cambridge and Carlisle. Why don’t we simply not worry about it and act accordingly when/if the time happens. And by accordingly I mean alcohol. 

58 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The club just have to be prepared for it and allow it in a controlled way.

I think it’s fine to let the fans invade the pitch and soak in the moment, before returning to their seats so the players can do their lap of honour and celebrate and lift the trophy with fans who have stayed behind.

God loves an optimist! 😉

I don't get it. Even when I was younger I didnt ..eg at the Southampton semi. 

What's the point,  you can't see anything and all the players scatter. Just stay near your seats or congregate near the front of the stand and clap the players and staff ie those who have done it. Getting on the pitch seems a weird desire.

Just head into town and civilly get p*ssed with your mates. Seems a bit entitled... 'why can't I run on the pitch and sorta intimidate the opposition'. Generally starts off fairly good natured but has a good chance of going south in some way.

Mainly though, the players can't celebrate properly together or with their families etc because fans want to swamp the pitch.  Do it after the celebratory lap and the players have gone if it matters that much to you.

Who needs a reason to run on the pitch?

May 1991 last game of the season v Everton. We were already relegated and I had a season ticket in the Toyota stand but for some reason we were in the old C stand that day.

We lost 3-2 but because everyone else in that corner ran on the pitch then so did I.

At Pride Park we beat Arsenal 3-0 and during the first half the guy in the seat in front would not sit down and all I could see was the back of his head. He never came back for the second half and 15 minutes into the second half one of our supporters ran across the pitch with his back to us. I recognised the back of his head straightaway.