Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, enachops said:

I think Derby have had to pay off enough managers over recent years. Rooney has a year left after this, no need to extend it. No point in extending it then sacking him if we’re struggling next year. Pay out would be huge. 

It will be an interesting situation, whether Rooney would even be comfortable down in L1 is questionable. With his image as a top flight footballer since the age of 16, he will probably have his sights set a bit higher.  We really need to be focusing on a strategy for a quick return to the championship and try to avoid 'doing a Sunderland'. With this in mind, other types of managers would come into consideration, ones with experience of grinding out results in lower leagues. The next managerial appointment for DCFC will be critical. I know that's been said many times, but really, we just can't continue with the managerial revolving door policy adopted by Mr Morris. 

The new ownership (assuming it happens) and Rooney both have a decision to make now. 

Firstly the new owner whoever that may be. What is the plan and strategy moving forward, what is their ambition for the club and what is the plan and timescale to get there. Is it a short-term throw money at it and plead forgiveness model when it all goes south (known as the Morris way)? Is it invest nothing and build totally around the academy or is it an intelligent recruitment model to supplement the academy built around a defined style of playing? Either way (unless it’s the Morris way) they will need a manager who is in it for the long term, prepared to build something from league 1 upwards. Hiring a young talented league 1 manager has its risks, if we have a purely league 1 mindset then we risk becoming a league 1 club for a significant period of time. A journeyman league one manager who knows the league would be a disaster IMO.

The other options are either convince a big hitter who has some experience of the lower leagues but who has had success that we are a sleeping giant that needs awakening and back them to build success, similar to last time we were at this level and we enticed Arthur Cox to join us.  Or decide Rooney is the man, back him to the hilt, give him time to build something and work his way back to this championship. But Rooney has to commit to the long-haul, has to be prepared to drop to league 1 and play the long game, get it right it could make his managerial career and catapult him to the top level with an unbelievable football grounding combined with his elite football mindset. If there is any question or doubt that Rooney would stay and manage us into league 1 - get rid immediately and get someone who will.

As for Rooney, he also has to make a decision. Is he prepared to drop to league 1 if he has owner who will back him, give him time enable him to build a successful club, ensuring a first class football grounding that will eventually lead him to the top where he wants to be? Or is it too much of a risk, will he be forgotten? Does he take the short-term option of leaving for a better offer? Who will employ him? Will baggies get so fed up with Ismael that they take a chance on him? Would they go for him if Dean Smith and Daniel Farke are on the market? Any job without parachute payments will be tough unless there is a good infrastructure in place. 

I think Rooney has demonstrated immense leadership this season and I hope the owners give him the chance and he wants to stay to see it through, through relegation to promotion back to the championship and hopefully back to the premier league. 

Whatever happens, whatever we do between now and the end of the season has to be with the aim of being a sustainable but competitive league one club next season that can then compete in the championship. Recruitment has to be with a medium/long term aim and if we manage the great escape then brilliant but don’t compromise next season to save this one.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

@Jourdan, I appreciate your posts, and can see your POV. 

In normal circumstances, I'd agree with your analysis of the bare fact's, statistically he's had a terrible record so far.

However, he started off with one hand tied behind his back (lack of experience), then swiftly had the other hand tied up too (lack of finance) in the January window.

We somehow survived the season, more by others failings than our own efforts I grant you, but just when he'd expected the bounds to be released he's had a blindfold placed over his eyes too!

Then after groping around in the dark to pull together a semblance of a squad with half a chance of competing, he's had cotton balls stuffed in his ears too, exposing him for what he is. 

A rookie manager, dealing with the total implosion of the football club he's employed by, and unable to do anything about the situation other than grit his teeth and fight his way through.

He's done that in spades, and faced a situation that I'm convinced other more experienced managers would have walked away from by now.

That he hasn't is praiseworthy enough in itself in my eyes, he's got little to gain in our situation, and an awful lot to lose, yet he keeps on keeping on, keeps fighting for us and our club.

In those circumstances, I'm happy enough to set aside the stats and critique of his tenure, and appreciate that we've got a manager who'll fight for us now, and is playing his part in our survival.

Whatever happens in the future, and however he happened upon his current position, he's our man right here and right now, and imo he's led the club like a Lion.

You make some valid points. Rooney has shown some commendable qualities - fight, enthusiasm, commitment, leadership. But isn’t that the minimum you would expect from someone in his position?

I also disagree that most managers would have walked away. Instead I suspect most managers would have tried, much like Rooney, to rise to the challenge and possibly had more tools to deal with the situation.

I think we all accept that Rooney has had difficult circumstances to deal with. Relying on loans in January? Having to assemble a squad under an embargo? The club hurtling into financial ruin? Very difficult indeed.

But ask yourself, is this job going to get any easier for a manager with his lack of experience and know how? League One will be no cakewalk and I am sure many clubs will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of welcoming us to the division and piling on the pain.

We will need someone switched on and with the knowledge and experience of having what it takes to succeed in that division, surely?

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The new ownership (assuming it happens) and Rooney both have a decision to make now. 

Firstly the new owner whoever that may be. What is the plan and strategy moving forward, what is their ambition for the club and what is the plan and timescale to get there. Is it a short-term throw money at it and plead forgiveness model when it all goes south (known as the Morris way)? Is it invest nothing and build totally around the academy or is it an intelligent recruitment model to supplement the academy built around a defined style of playing? Either way (unless it’s the Morris way) they will need a manager who is in it for the long term, prepared to build something from league 1 upwards. Hiring a young talented league 1 manager has its risks, if we have a purely league 1 mindset then we risk becoming a league 1 club for a significant period of time. A journeyman league one manager who knows the league would be a disaster IMO.

The other options are either convince a big hitter who has some experience of the lower leagues but who has had success that we are a sleeping giant that needs awakening and back them to build success, similar to last time we were at this level and we enticed Arthur Cox to join us.  Or decide Rooney is the man, back him to the hilt, give him time to build something and work his way back to this championship. But Rooney has to commit to the long-haul, has to be prepared to drop to league 1 and play the long game, get it right it could make his managerial career and catapult him to the top level with an unbelievable football grounding combined with his elite football mindset. If there is any question or doubt that Rooney would stay and manage us into league 1 - get rid immediately and get someone who will.

As for Rooney, he also has to make a decision. Is he prepared to drop to league 1 if he has owner who will back him, give him time enable him to build a successful club, ensuring a first class football grounding that will eventually lead him to the top where he wants to be? Or is it too much of a risk, will he be forgotten? Does he take the short-term option of leaving for a better offer? Who will employ him? Will baggies get so fed up with Ismael that they take a chance on him? Would they go for him if Dean Smith and Daniel Farke are on the market? Any job without parachute payments will be tough unless there is a good infrastructure in place. 

I think Rooney has demonstrated immense leadership this season and I hope the owners give him the chance and he wants to stay to see it through, through relegation to promotion back to the championship and hopefully back to the premier league. 

Whatever happens, whatever we do between now and the end of the season has to be with the aim of being a sustainable but competitive league one club next season that can then compete in the championship. Recruitment has to be with a medium/long term aim and if we manage the great escape then brilliant but don’t compromise next season to save this one.

I don’t see why Rooney should be concerned about managing in league 1 as league 1/2 is where he should have started his managerial career…

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But ask yourself, is this job going to get any easier for a manager with his lack of experience and know how? League One will be no cakewalk and I am sure many clubs will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of welcoming us to the division and piling on the pain.

We will need someone switched on and with the knowledge and experience of having what it takes to succeed in that division, surely?

I'm not arguing the above point though.

I'm just saying that right here and right now, he's done as well as any manager realistically available to us could do.

I wanted him gone well before the end of last season, you'll find a thread started by me saying as much if you search back, but that doesn't stop me giving him credit for how he's performed since, now it's clear just what constraints he's been working under.

I don't think he'll be here next season if we're in League One either, for various reasons, but right now he's earned my respect and backing for the job he's doing, pulling a club together in these circumstances is probably more important than the performances and results on the pitch right now, and they haven't been terrible in the circumstances.

It's a really difficult decision for the new owners considering we will be in League One next season. We should be building a team from January onwards for League One to get a head start.

We either stick with Rooney and accept it's more of a risk, even though he's improved from last season his knowledge is still limited and teams have already started to work out his style this season.

or we go with someone like Warnock or Pulis. 

What ever happens the decision to stick with or replace Rooney needs to be made this season, not a few weeks before the start of next season.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

@Jourdan, I appreciate your posts, and can see your POV. 

In normal circumstances, I'd agree with your analysis of the bare fact's, statistically he's had a terrible record so far.

However, he started off with one hand tied behind his back (lack of experience), then swiftly had the other hand tied up too (lack of finance) in the January window.

We somehow survived the season, more by others failings than our own efforts I grant you, but just when he'd expected the bounds to be released he's had a blindfold placed over his eyes too!

Then after groping around in the dark to pull together a semblance of a squad with half a chance of competing, he's had cotton balls stuffed in his ears too, exposing him for what he is. 

A rookie manager, dealing with the total implosion of the football club he's employed by, and unable to do anything about the situation other than grit his teeth and fight his way through.

He's done that in spades, and faced a situation that I'm convinced other more experienced managers would have walked away from by now.

That he hasn't is praiseworthy enough in itself in my eyes, he's got little to gain in our situation, and an awful lot to lose, yet he keeps on keeping on, keeps fighting for us and our club.

In those circumstances, I'm happy enough to set aside the stats and critique of his tenure, and appreciate that we've got a manager who'll fight for us now, and is playing his part in our survival.

Whatever happens in the future, and however he happened upon his current position, he's our man right here and right now, and imo he's led the club like a Lion.

Saved me a post. Written it better than I could as well.

With everything that is going on, one might be forgiven for thinking some should have concerns other than the space between Rooney's shoulder blades. It's as tiresome as it is irrelevant because right here, right now, the man is going nowhere and despite my strong initial opposition to his appointment, I find myself now grateful for that fact.

So... Can Rooney save us and beyond that, bring us success? Perhaps more pertinently, should he remain in situ if he fails to do so? Honestly, I don't know. What does seem clear to me though is that he's the man in the hot seat and he's not running shy of the fight, so perhaps we ought save the 'constructive criticisms' for a more appropriate time and rally to the cause in the same way he has. I think he's earned that much, at very least.

Rooney will undoubtedly get an opportunity next year, if he wants it. 

I honestly don't know why he's still here. He's had so many opportunities to walk away with his head high. I'd love to see him do well, because he's stood by the club when I doubt I even would've done in his position. 

I do think at this point, we should look to do the right thing by the players who have stood by the club and what's best for their career. I believe Jagielka and Baldock are out of contract in January. I would allow both to leave - Jagielka should have an opportunity to play for a team competing to get in the play-offs for 6 months. A better situation for him than being surrounded by kids with nothing but to play for in possibly the last year of his career. 

We basically have a free punch for 6 months, an extended preseason where we can focus on our academy players and assess their ability going into next season. Results aren't important anymore, development is the only point of emphasis. 

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

It's a really difficult decision for the new owners considering we will be in League One next season. We should be building a team from January onwards for League One to get a head start.

We either stick with Rooney and accept it's more of a risk, even though he's improved from last season his knowledge is still limited and teams have already started to work out his style this season.

or we go with someone like Warnock or Pulis. 

What ever happens the decision to stick with or replace Rooney needs to be made this season, not a few weeks before the start of next season.

If your changing manager, I’d much prefer to be looking at the likes of Ian Evatt or Ryan Lowe than the Pulis and Warnock’s

Do you think Wayne is still drawing his full salary in the circumstances? If he is just because its funded by 32red anyway and that stops, with the integrity he has shown so far would he countenance taking his full salary next year if in league 1 when that money would be so useful for rebuilding? Would he have relegation clause in his contract? I suppose he could always agree much lower anyway if he wants the fight

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Do you think Wayne is still drawing his full salary in the circumstances? If he is just because its funded by 32red anyway and that stops, with the integrity he has shown so far would he countenance taking his full salary next year if in league 1 when that money would be so useful for rebuilding? Would he have relegation clause in his contract? I suppose he could always agree much lower anyway if he wants the fight

I think Rooney has the mindset to see this as a challenge.

He hasn't caused any of this and might see it as a free hit. It will be a gamble if he falls on his sword. But then no one is expecting miracles straight away.

We wouldn't be able to afford his wages in league 1, not even sure how we could afford to pay his wages for the remaining season which means absolutely nothing.

It absolutely cuts me up to say it, but unless we are taken over with someone with deep pockets, which I feel is ebbing away with each and every kick in the face we are taking, the best thing Rooney could do for the club in a financial sense is either reduce his wages, if he hasn't already done so, or walk away.

We are passed the point of whether we are being negative or not, this is about being realistic and trying to keep the club going.

Positive! it is not over yet, having watched Jack's 3 goals for the under 23's he is a natural goal scorer and he needs a run starting games and if he makes an howler or bad pass no groans and getting on his back, he needs our support to build his confidence in the first team, sadly age catching up so I cannot make the games and listen to radio Derby coverage.

Ed Dawes whenever Sibley makes a poor pass you can tell in his voice he is the one he wishes to pick on and all these negative vibes do get back to the young lads.

The academy over the past few years as been churning out young talent, for which a fair few have done very well in the first team, so our future is very bright, the club will rebuild and it will be even stronger in time.

Be Happy!!!