Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 30/10/2021 at 19:32, David said:

I would imagine Rooney has one of the safest jobs in the Championship right now under the circumstances.

Also heard Rooney's name being sang, far louder than the odd boo's.

Very much doubt patience is waning on a significant scale.

About a month ago he was being compared to Churchill in pulling the club together. Have fans criticising really forgotten our threadbare squad and how many who signed on relatively low wages to make up the 23 seemed to have been persuaded to train with us and then sign due to Wayne's efforts? And we will never know how much of a draw having Wayne here is to potential investors compared to someone with no profile?  I'm not saying all is going well on the pitch but compared to where I thought we'd be in those desperate days we're not too shoddy. No surprise that the team is performing less well when they presumably know potential investors are in attendance. 

Any new owner/investor will surely be desperate to stay in the Championship and so of course they will be paying close attention to Rooney’s ability to get results.

It is easy to say his job is safe under the circumstances, but this is modern football.

Three wins from 15 leaves a lot of room for improvement. It is not hard to envisage a situation where the new ownership look for a shot in the arm or to make a statement appointment if results lurch further.

They won’t want to take on a sitting duck.

On 30/10/2021 at 19:26, 24Charlie said:

Look at Forest. Total pump til a new manager comes in. All of a sudden the same team are a different team. 

This phenomenon happens quite a lot.

There were boos a half time, patience is on the wane. People are starting to remove the rose tinted specs to look at the stats and to be perfectly honest they are pretty bad.

We need a win.

That ship has long since sailed am afraid. How on earth are the administrators now going to sanction paying Rooney off to get rid of him.

Rooney is limited in terms of his managerial evolution and is making mistakes along the way as part of his learning curve and is managing a limited group of players. That's where we're at. 

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That ship has long since sailed am afraid. How on earth are the administrators now going to sanction paying Rooney off to get rid of him.

Rooney is limited in terms of his managerial evolution and is making mistakes along the way as part of his learning curve and is managing a limited group of players. That's where we're at. 

Of course, Rooney’s job is safe while we are in administration.

But if a takeover is on course for January, one would imagine Rooney has an eight-week audition.

He has to keep us within touching distance of safety.

I can’t imagine the new owners being overly sentimental as it’s their investment at stake and quite a financial burden they are taking on too. They are surely looking to protect their interests.

We are a far more attractive proposition if we can somehow remain in the Championship and can go again with many of our issues behind us.

On 30/10/2021 at 19:26, 24Charlie said:

Look at Forest. Total pump til a new manager comes in. All of a sudden the same team are a different team. 

This phenomenon happens quite a lot.

There were boos a half time, patience is on the wane. People are starting to remove the rose tinted specs to look at the stats and to be perfectly honest they are pretty bad.

We need a win.

Ah, the search for the magic solution. Sack enough managers enough times and you're bound, eventually, to land one that clicks.

How do you think we got into the situation we are in? Knee-jerk reactions.

• Back the manager
  • Sack the manager
  • Pay off the manager
  • Hire the manager

Repeat ad nauseum. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

About a month ago he was being compared to Churchill in pulling the club together. Have fans criticising really forgotten our threadbare squad and how many who signed on relatively low wages to make up the 23 seemed to have been persuaded to train with us and then sign due to Wayne's efforts? And we will never know how much of a draw having Wayne here is to potential investors compared to someone with no profile?  I'm not saying all is going well on the pitch but compared to where I thought we'd be in those desperate days we're not too shoddy. No surprise that the team is performing less well when they presumably know potential investors are in attendance. 

I think any criticism is very much the minority view. Rooney's loyalty to this club won't be forgotten by most & quite rightly so.

As someone who was scathing about Rooney last year, I think there's been real improvement this season. The style of play is much better & the resilience of the team that he sends out has been borderline heroic given the appalling circumstances. And as you rightly say, his profile & reputation are actively helping to attract investors & players who wouldn't have looked at us otherwise.

Not to say he can't be criticised at all, I was there Saturday & we were pulled apart first half but those days happen. Overall the trendline suggests we're getting better. Wouldn't worry about the detractors, they'll always be around but he's going nowhere this season unless he decides he's had enough. 

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think any criticism is very much the minority view. Rooney's loyalty to this club won't be forgotten by most & quite rightly so.

As someone who was scathing about Rooney last year, I think there's been real improvement since last season. The style of play is much better & the resilience of the team that he sends out has been borderline heroic given the appalling circumstances. And as your rightly say, his profile & reputation is actively helping to attract investors & players who wouldn't have looked at us otherwise.

Not to say he can't be criticised at all, I was there Saturday & we were pulled apart first half but those days happen. Overall the trendline suggests we're getting better. Wouldn't worry about the detractors, they'll always be around but he's going nowhere this season unless he decides he's had enough. 

Is it loyalty or is it a case that it’s been in his best interests to stay? How would it look if he had been eyeing the exit door as soon as the going gets tough?

Personally, I don’t think it’s a question of loyalty. Clubs are not knocking the door down and he’ll have to do more to convince clubs of his credentials. Keeping us up or making a very good fist of it is what will attract attention.

Rooney has done some good but retaining our Championship status is what counts.

I don’t think it’s unfathomable for the mood to turn or indeed for the owners to want their own man should the equation start to become a number cruncher.

Fans and owners alike have short memories. A manager comes in and gets us winning more regularly and Rooney will be a distant memory.

Just now, Jourdan said:

Is it loyalty or is it a case that it’s been in his best interests to stay? How would it look if he had been eyeing the exit door as soon as the going gets tough?

Personally, I don’t think it’s a question of loyalty. Clubs are not knocking the door down and he’ll have to do more to convince clubs of his credentials. Keeping us up or making a very good fist of it is what will attract attention.

Rooney has done some good but retaining our Championship status is what counts.

I don’t think it’s unfathomable for the mood to turn or indeed for the owners to want their own man should the equation start to become a number cruncher.

Fans and owners alike have short memories. A manager comes in and gets us winning more regularly and Rooney will be a distant memory.

Best interests to stay at a club that wasn't able to sign players for most of the summer, had a chairman that refused to communicate with him, couldn't even use his own youth players & then suffer a 12 point deduction for decisions taken elsewhere?

No, I dont think that stands up to scrutiny.

Re new owners, Rooney would be a key reason why they'd be minded to look at Derby as an investment. Therefore its unlikely any new owner would be looking to replace Rooney for some time.

As for the fans, yes some have short memories but quite frankly if fans demand loyalty from their managers & players, they should show it in reverse. Incidentally, I dont think we're anywhere near a 'playing crisis'...just talking hypothetically.

It's a tricky one really. The stats don't make good reading at all. On the other hand it's harsh to criticise a manager who is operating with his hands tied. As things stand, we give Rooney the benefit of the doubt, in assuming that if he were able to improve the squad, the home losses could be avoided, and most of the draws could be converted to wins. 

16 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Best interests to stay at a club that wasn't able to sign players for most of the summer, had a chairman that refused to communicate with him, couldn't even use his own youth players & then suffer a 12 point deduction for decisions taken elsewhere?

No, I dont think that stands up to scrutiny.

Re new owners, Rooney would be a key reason why they'd be minded to look at Derby as an investment. Therefore its unlikely any new owner would be looking to replace Rooney for some time.

As for the fans, yes some have short memories but quite frankly if fans demand loyalty from their managers & players, they should show it in reverse. Incidentally, I dont think we're anywhere near a 'playing crisis'...just talking hypothetically.

We are in a difficult spot indeed. Maybe for a manager with experience, qualifications and a track record, my view wouldn’t really stand up to scrutiny.

But for Rooney?

He got the job without even having the necessary coaching badges. He has no track record to speak of. He would still be considered a massive risk by almost one and all, so he very much needs this job to make his mark.

He has done some good but enough to get the attention of a club in a more favourable position? I am not sure. Not when you have clubs like Blackpool, Coventry, Huddersfield and Luton beating the odds.

Rooney might be key to attracting investors, he might not. We really don’t know with any certainty. But I think it’s fair to say a winning football team is more attractive than glorious failure with a high profile manager.

Fans are loyal to a successful project. Rooney’s stock will only hold firm if we show fight and spring surprises.

Edited by Jourdan

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Not when you have clubs like Blackpool, Coventry, Huddersfield and Luton beating the odds.

None of those clubs are operating under a "soft" embargo, let alone the "nads-in-a-vice" embargo that we are. They've all been free to extend players contracts, pay their players what they're able, sign players and not have to motivate players under the cloud of administration and potential points deductions. Huddersfield still receive parachute payments. 

There is no other manager in English professional football operating under the constraints that Rooney is and I doubt there are many who would volunteer for the job right now. 

Just now, Jourdan said:

We are in a difficult spot indeed. Maybe for a manager with experience, qualifications and a track record, my view wouldn’t really stand up to scrutiny.

But for Rooney?

He got the job without even having the necessary coaching badges. He has no track record to speak of. He would still be considered a massive risk by almost one and all, so he very much needs this job to make his mark.

He has done some good but enough to get the attention of a club in a more favourable position? I am not sure. Not when you have clubs like Blackpool, Coventry, Huddersfield and Luton beating the odds.

Rooney might be key to attracting investors, he might not. We really don’t know with any certainty. But I think it’s fair to say a winning football team is more attractive than glorious failure with a high profile manager.

Fans are loyal to a successful project. Rooney’s stock will only hold firm if ww show fight and spring surprises.

Not that he would even be considered a top 10 candidate but Rooney has been linked by the media with Newcastle & their fans (whilst not keen) have acknowkedged he's done a good job here & why he has been linked. On that basis alone, I think he could get a decent gig elsewhere.

Re winning football...the bookies were adamant we were finishing bottom well before we went into administration. The fact we could potentially be off the bottom in 48 hours even with 12 points taken off is well ahead of general expectation.

I know you're unlikely ever to be convinced by him & I respect that. We were on the same side of the argument 6-9 months ago but character in adversity is one of the biggest things I respect in life & Rooney has shown that in spades. Maybe I'm naive in thinking there isnt an angle but just want to hang onto something positive whilst we're neck deep in this mess.

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

None of those clubs are operating under a "soft" embargo, let alone the "nads-in-a-vice" embargo that we are. They've all been free to extend players contracts, pay their players what they're able, sign players and not have to motivate players under the cloud of administration and potential points deductions. Huddersfield still receive parachute payments. 

There is no other manager in English professional football operating under the constraints that Rooney is and I doubt there are many who would volunteer for the job right now. 

Not to mention squad size, which is the biggest problem we have. If Knight ain't fit tomorrow with Shinnie out, our midfield is going to look very inexperienced.