Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, EdinRam said:

I think no matter what he won't be here next season, do you think he will go on to be a good manager? Unlike Frank I don't think Rooney has the tactical brain unfortunately. Top player though.

Seems he just can't understand why they aren't better just because he's Wayne Rooney and he told them to be better.

I think you can say that it’s been a bad decision for both Rooney and the club to appoint him. An experienced manager with pedigree would have had a tough job keeping us up this season but probably would have by sticking with a consistent back to basics approach ( 3 or 4 more draws would have probably seen us safe). WR’s lack of experience caused him to run before he could walk and change the approach from staying solid to playing with a ‘style’ he wanted to see because he arrogantly assumed we were safe. That he wasn’t able to read the signs and see that our football club is the last place to be starting your career in football management is also quite telling. 
I don’t think anybody in their right mind will take a punt on him for a while and he will need to go back to being part of somebody else’s coaching set up. I can’t think of any examples when somebody has had such a catastrophic start to a management career and gone on to do well (I’m sure somebody can and will prove that wrong). 

33 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Give him good footballers - see what he can do then. 

A good Manager gets the best out of what he has got. If a teacher in a school has a difficult class they can't just say give me some different pupils. Wazza was dealt a very difficult hand which he has not played very well. I am not convinced he will be a great Manager, more akin to Bryan Robson.....

17 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

I think you can say that it’s been a bad decision for both Rooney and the club to appoint him. An experienced manager with pedigree would have had a tough job keeping us up this season but probably would have by sticking with a consistent back to basics approach ( 3 or 4 more draws would have probably seen us safe). WR’s lack of experience caused him to run before he could walk and change the approach from staying solid to playing with a ‘style’ he wanted to see because he arrogantly assumed we were safe. That he wasn’t able to read the signs and see that our football club is the last place to be starting your career in football management is also quite telling. 
I don’t think anybody in their right mind will take a punt on him for a while and he will need to go back to being part of somebody else’s coaching set up. I can’t think of any examples when somebody has had such a catastrophic start to a management career and gone on to do well (I’m sure somebody can and will prove that wrong). 

Can you explain what his style is other than looking for 0-0???

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Can you explain what his style is other than looking for 0-0???

It seems to be:

Tell everyone the lads are up for it and they know what is required
OPTIONAL: Score first
Concede
Heads drop
Confidence evaporates
Concede more
Derby lose
Repeat

It's the Derby Way, I think.

Give him Mason Mount, Harry Wilson and Tomori & see what he could do - & also don't take over mid season when you are rock bottom of the league 

He had a much worse deal than Lampard (or Cocu for that matter) & he has damaged his own reputation by giving it a go.

However, whether he'll eventually be a good manager remains to be seen. Just 1 point from our previous 6 games would have put us in a much stronger position right now 

9 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

He had a much worse deal than Lampard (or Cocu for that matter) & he has damaged his own reputation by giving it a go.

Agree re Lampard (obviously), disagree re Cocu - it's a pretty even amount of poo there but Rooney has dealt with much lower expectations.

Any damage to his reputation is of his own doing imo mainly down to (whether perceived, partially real or outright real) hypocrisy, I'd even say he hasn't damaged it amongst anyone other than Derby supporters - the wider world will still think he's done heroically to take it to the last game.

Edited by Coconut

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

A good Manager gets the best out of what he has got. If a teacher in a school has a difficult class they can't just say give me some different pupils. Wazza was dealt a very difficult hand which he has not played very well. I am not convinced he will be a great Manager, more akin to Bryan Robson.....

I have my doubts but I have no idea if he'll go on to make a good manager or not. When he does move on I'll wish him well (unless he goes to Forest or Leeds of course) and not hold a grudge or hope it's the end of his career as some seem to want.

What seems to be abundantly clear is that he was the wrong type of manager for the plight we found ourselves in and Derby, at that time, was the wrong club for his first managerial appointment. We can't change history but it might have been interesting to see what would have happened if Cocu had stayed, we'd got relegated and then Rooney was appointed. Probably the same disaster but you never know, and we never will, what might have been without Covid and therefore fans in the stadium, without the immediate pressure of being in a serious relegation battle as soon as he was appointed etc.

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Agree re Lampard (obviously), disagree re Cocu - it's a pretty even amount of poo there but Rooney has dealt with much lower expectations.

Any damage to his reputation is of his own doing imo, I'd even say he hasn't damaged it amongst anyone other than Derby supporters.

I think his failure to lift us clear of trouble, the current run we're on and possible relegation won't go unnoticed in the wider footballing world.

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It seems to be:

Concede
Heads drop
Confidence evaporates
Concede more
Derby lose
Repeat

Sad but true....

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It seems to be:

Concede
Heads drop
Confidence evaporates
Concede more
Derby lose
Repeat

I believe the stats (except for very recently) are very good when we score first?

What happens when we concede first and/or otherwise should tell us something about the players we needed. I think it's a very difficult task for any manager to turn around a squads mindset, especially without transfers. Whenever we've had what seems like an opportunity we have suffered some bad luck. Eg we only have one goal-scorer, find another and they get injured. 

I'm not convinced many managers could have done better than Rooney has. Look at how well the managers above us have done, eg Hughton - can't believe the squad he has to choose from. Rooney may not have always got it right but then lots of other managers also haven't got it right at times.

Here's hoping he gets some good luck, every manager needs it. #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think his failure to lift us clear of trouble, the current run we're on and possible relegation won't go unnoticed in the wider footballing world.

I imagine they'll look at where we were when he took over and look at our squad and say, well no surprise there then. Plus they'll know all about our many 'takeovers' and lack of money!

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I imagine they'll look at where we were when he took over and look at our squad and say, well no surprise there then.

I imagine they'll look at the poo side he inherited and not fail to notice that, apart from a brief purple patch, he failed to do anything to improve performances and presided over our worse losing streak in a very long time. 

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I imagine they'll look at the poo side he inherited and not fail to notice that, apart from a brief purple patch, he failed to do anything to improve performances and presided over our worse losing streak in a very long time. 

And think to themselves, no wonder that poo squad nearly went down. Silk purse out of a sows ear, can't be done.