Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that everyone at the club is doing their utmost at the moment to ensure our survival in this league. I think the players and Wayne couldn't be trying harder to combat the off-field issues which had the potential to destroy our club and I am proud of their fighting spirit. Like all of us I'm hoping for a successful take over and the return of Beilik which could make all the difference to our final position in the league. The problems Wayne and the team face are not of their making but as long as they continue to show such loyalty and fight for our club and give us a fighting chance to remain in this division we can't ask more.

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

The “it’s not like we’re creating chances” line is a little simplistic though when often you need the striker to have that instinct, to be able to create the chances for them, if that makes sense? CKR has been back 5 minutes and has already missed 3 good to very good chances mostly because he has the instinct of where to be.

To an extent that's true, you do need strikers to make those runs and give players the options to create chances and I'd be more inclined to take that approach if we'd previously shown good attacking potential under Rooney.  However, this has been a consistent problem for him before we had CKR out injured following Peterborough. Indeed, even during the Blackburn game with both baldock and CKR on the pitch we only created openings in the first 10 mins before they adapted to the change and the final 5 or 6 minutes when we had no choice but to swamp their box. 

On 01/11/2021 at 18:41, RoyMac5 said:
On 01/11/2021 at 18:20, derbydaz22 said:

Perhaps it's not fair on Stretton, we've seen what a struggle it can be for youngsters last season.

Baldock has the experience and will deal better with being berated if things don't go right. 

No mention of playing together

Very unpopular opinion and can hardly believe I'm saying it...

But I would get the points deduction sorted, get new owners in and hope they say 'Thanks for steadying the ship Wayne' and give Neil Warnock the job to keep us up, with a huge retirement bonus if he does. 

He has proved he can have a big impact in the past and whilst he wouldn't stick around, I don't see Wayne happily toiling away in League 1, surely easier for him to blame us for being a basket case and hope someone gives him another chance elsewhere.  Plus, I have no confidence he would have the skills to get us out of that League anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

But I would get the points deduction sorted, get new owners in and hope they say 'Thanks for steadying the ship Wayne' and give Neil Warnock the job to keep us up, with a huge retirement bonus if he does. 

He has proved he can have a big impact in the past and whilst he wouldn't stick around, I don't see Wayne happily toiling away in League 1, surely easier for him to blame us for being a basket case and hope someone gives him another chance elsewhere.  Plus, I have no confidence he would have the skills to get us out of that League anyway. 

Agree with the idea of a fresh start, new ownership with their choice of Manager but don’t think Colin is the answer…..

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

It would not please Gibson if we appointed colin. But there is no vacancy here.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

EFL: "Here's your points deduction for overspending"

DCFC: "Right, lets blow a load of wodge paying off Wayne, a big paycheck to entice Colin, and a massive retirement bonus" 

Once the new owner is in place, first job give Rooney a new contract, show him the love, clean slate and bounce back next year.

Right now we need some good news, this would be it. 

The players would appreciate this as well, we don't need the added uncertainty of will he or won't he go leaving them questioning their own futures.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Once the new owner is in place, first job give Rooney a new contract, show him the love, clean slate and bounce back next year.

Right now we need some good news, this would be it. 

The players would appreciate this as well, we don't need the added uncertainty of will he or won't he go leaving them questioning their own futures.

A new contract? Shouldn’t that be earned?

Rooney has a year and a half on his deal. There is no need to offer him a new one, unless he achieves something exceptional. Like survival against the odds, for example.

If we do get relegated to League 1, the owners have to seriously consider if Rooney is capable of moving us forward. Stability for the sake of stability helps no-one.

If there is someone they consider to be better equipped to do that, they would be foolish to put all of their eggs in the Rooney basket.

It is an unforgiving league, one Rooney will likely have little to no knowledge of. We see big clubs struggle to get to grips with it very often. There would be an added incentive for teams too, a target on our backs, of course. Rooney’s Derby and so on.

Do we really need the circus? The distractions? Do we need someone at the helm who has to find his feet and learn quickly? 

It would be a big risk to stick with Rooney.

Edited by Jourdan

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Rooney has a year and a half on his deal. There is no need to offer him a new one, unless he achieves something exceptional. Like survival against the odds, for example.

If we do get relegated to League 1, the owners have to seriously consider if Rooney is capable of moving us forward. Stability for the sake of stability helps no-one.

If there is someone they consider to be better equipped to do that, they would be foolish to put all of their eggs in the Rooney basket.

It is an unforgiving league, one Rooney will likely have little to no knowledge of. We see big clubs struggle to get to grips with it very often. There would be an added incentive for teams too, a target on our backs, of course. Rooney’s Derby and so on.

Do we really need the circus? The distractions? Do we need someone at the helm who has to find his feet and learn quickly? 

It has been earned and no we don't need a circus or distractions, what that has to do with Rooney I don't know.

Any managerial appointment is a risk, there's less risk in sticking with what you have and the players are on board with.

Rooney has instilled a fighting spirit this season, something we will desperately need next season.

Would have been so easy to walk away and hold his head up high, but he stuck with us, incredible really given the circumstances. 

Can't think of anyone I would rather have lead us into next season. Hopefully he still has the hunger for it.

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

oh come on. stability for the sake of stability? do you realise what a good job rooney has done here?

Not only did he keep us up he has us a mid table side with a squad that has barely enough quality to compete in league one.

people are utterly mad if they think somebody can come in and do a better job than rooney under the circumstances. for me he should be top of the to do list when a takeover happens of extending his deal and backing him properly. 

Starting this season we had no hope at all, for months rooney has had us believing we can actually stay up even with a point deduction and no players.

just to touch on it again it can't be understated how important it was rooney keeping us up last season.

If we had gone down on that day we would be facing these deductions in league one and probably looking at league two next season and then who was going to inherit the debts we have in the english 4th division?

That Sheff W game could go down as the most important in our history, and rooney was the manager that day and for me he will always be remembered for that and should be rewarded when the club finally has some stability off the pitch