Paul Warne

Day

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We will have a tiny budget by Championship standards, so what will he do differently this time?

I doubt we would, there’d be no reason to spend £6-8m on a category one academy if the plan was to short change the first team. 

44 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I doubt we would, there’d be no reason to spend £6-8m on a category one academy if the plan was to short change the first team. 

Our budget will be absolute peanuts compared to the 6-7 clubs on parachute payments and the others that are more stable than us. Clowes is a hero, but he's not got top end Championship cash and that's the harsh reality of our situation. I'm not having a dig, it's just the way it is.

8 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Our budget will be absolute peanuts compared to the 6-7 clubs on parachute payments and the others that are more stable than us. Clowes is a hero, but he's not got top end Championship cash and that's the harsh reality of our situation. I'm not having a dig, it's just the way it is.

Even with the parachute payments clubs, we'll have a comfortable mid-table budget and that's where any manager would be expected to get us in the first couple of seasons. After that, whoever owns the club will be constrained by FFP regardless of their wealth, particularly as owner of DCFC. Anyone who thinks otherwise after the last ten years hasn't been listening.

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We will have a tiny budget by Championship standards, so what will he do differently this time?

Our budget won’t be as small Rotherham though. I imagine we will have a bigger budget than a few teams. They didn’t. 

And generally the budget dictates League position, not the coach. I expect we’ll be lower mid table first season but people on here will be raging about it and want Warne gone.

We’ve actually got to get to the champ first though!

Why are some internet posters just so damn thoughtless and annoying?  🤷‍♂️

I've just realised I'm wasting my life away spending all that time constantly/regularly reading the 4 syllables of "PW", when a simple "Paul Warne" would reduce that to two syllables, and I can get on with doing stuff.

Stop being so God damn lazy, and type the bloody thing out, yeah! 

It just as bad as "www."  It's so much quicker to say "world wide web dot"!   👀

On 23/03/2024 at 17:10, alram said:

but it does feel like the foundations are made on sand and we are never too far away from a bad run. i cant put my finger on why but it really doesnt seem convincing

Its because there are no foundations. Warne just takes every game as it comes and tries to ground out a result by any means. It is working most of the time, but I'm never truly that shocked whenever we lose a game to anyone. It feels like Warne picks one-off tactics for each opponent and hopes they work, but occasionally they don't or the opponent works them out in-game and we lose. There's no longevity or continuity to anything he's implementing.

45 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Its because there are no foundations. Warne just takes every game as it comes and tries to ground out a result by any means. It is working most of the time, but I'm never truly that shocked whenever we lose a game to anyone. It feels like Warne picks one-off tactics for each opponent and hopes they work, but occasionally they don't or the opponent works them out in-game and we lose. There's no longevity or continuity to anything he's implementing.

I can’t agree with this. We’ve been brilliant in a lot of games, let’s not forget that. We’ve battered a lot of teams. However, there will inevitably be games where luck plays its part and we miss out. Wasn’t there but the highlights suggest we had three decent chances, they had none and won 1-0. It’s bound to happen. We’re not City, our players aren’t that much better than the opposition so the opportunity for luck to play a part is greater.

Let’s not forget as well that we’re unlikely to have much of a foundation given the club made its first signing for a fee three months ago for a long time. 

7 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Why are some internet posters just so damn thoughtless and annoying?  🤷‍♂️

I've just realised I'm wasting my life away spending all that time constantly/regularly reading the 4 syllables of "PW", when a simple "Paul Warne" would reduce that to two syllables, and I can get on with doing stuff.

Stop being so God damn lazy, and type the bloody thing out, yeah! 

It just as bad as "www."  It's so much quicker to say "world wide web dot"!   👀

PW is 2 letters.  Paul Warne is 9. So if you’re writing and being read, isn’t PW more efficient ? (YBYA it is)

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Apart from at the fans forum he said he wants to sign younger more athletic players in the summer.

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I can’t agree with this. We’ve been brilliant in a lot of games, let’s not forget that. We’ve battered a lot of teams. However, there will inevitably be games where luck plays its part and we miss out. Wasn’t there but the highlights suggest we had three decent chances, they had none and won 1-0. It’s bound to happen. We’re not City, our players aren’t that much better than the opposition so the opportunity for luck to play a part is greater.

Let’s not forget as well that we’re unlikely to have much of a foundation given the club made its first signing for a fee three months ago for a long time. 

when was that then?

1 hour ago, Jram said:

really?

but for some injuries, with our squad we could put out a B team that could still get in play offs 

image.png.7d7df357a0f64aca6ea3fd6250dad4d6.png  image.png.7b0f3f21f7f088dbe8501408096df31f.png

This doesn't even include players like Waghorn, Rooney, Washington, John-Jules, etc

Just because a player signs for a fee, doesn't automatically make them a better signing. A lot of our free signings have been amongst the best in the division these last 2 seasons. Mendez-Laing, Nelson, McGoldrick, etc. Not to mention all our academy players which also cost us nothing. 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I’m not saying we’ve been bad. His approach is clearly working to a large extent. My point was there’s not distinct style or continuity to how we play which creates unpredictability to our performances. I think the teams we’ve battered have mostly been teams who try and play a distinct way or passing way every game, who don’t try and counter us e.g. Bristol Rovers. Warnes style is reactionary to the opposition. 

i really don’t think it’s right to put the reason we lost yesterday all down to luck. Even Warne acknowledged we didn’t play well.

i also think you’re undervaluing the quality of our players. I don’t think any Northampton player would get in our squad except maybe Hoskins.

our difficulty signing players doesn’t affect how the manager sets the team up or his playing philosophy.

21 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Agreed, but it will still be competitive against the non-parachute clubs I would wager. 

We spend £17m as a club on wages now: Bristol City are at £26m, Cardiff City £22m, Blackburn £24m, Hull City £23m, Preston £20m, Middlesbrough £29m, Swansea £26m, QPR £22m, Stoke £28m. 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Apart from at the fans forum he said he wants to sign younger more athletic players in the summer.

How does signing young athletic players relate to playing with a distinct style, or continuity in any way? If he said he wanted to sign them to play a certain system then yes.