Paul Warne

Day

28 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Had us 7th and had hardly had Didzy fit.  Warne did have him fit and kept us in 7th.   

Won 7 drawn 2 lost 3 in all competitions.

McGoldrick was only missing for the first two games. He was available for all the rest. But so what? Warne lost Bird for the whole of the key month of February when results started to falter and was working with Rosenior's squad. But you should know very well that Clowes took the decision not to appoint Rosenior for reasons beyond mere results. The continual harping back to Rosenior by some posters is tedious for that very reason and no-one knows how the season would have gone with him in charge.

I swear I've never come across a situation before where an element in a clubs fanbase has moaned so much about a manager with their team in 2nd place. I'm sure some of our fans have totally lost the plot.

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I swear I've never come across a situation before where an element in a clubs fanbase has moaned so much about a manager with their team in 2nd place. I'm sure some of our fans have totally lost the plot.

We have had multiple seasons of below moderate expectations ... even by the madness of the elite english  football world our recent history has been a dreadful downward spiral of a story .

Since the club was saved from the abyss we are making giant strides of progress behind the scenes with acadamy , corporate and communication being keystones . 

The disallusionment comes from the regular dire , just plain awful, performances of the first team .

Yes we are still 2nd 

Yes we can still get promotion via autos or playoffs 

With a squad so highly rated by many outside of the club , we ought to at least turn it on occasionally and take a comfortable victory .

Every game is on a knifeedge . 

The head coach will trot out how dangerous a team Leyton Orient / Cambridge and Carlisle are and that no team will come and get their bellies tickled . 

Ffs just thump them all 4.0 and hope posh and bolton dont match our results .   We need at least 1 big win as the precious goal difference advantage has almost vanished too.

How many times have we royally screwed up this seaaon when in a great position to really take an advantage ? 

Ad nauseum over the last quarter of a century ....

There is still time to get glory in 2024 .  

But that time is running out ..

From a fan who is teetering on the edge of losing the plot . 

23 minutes ago, Crewton said:

McGoldrick was only missing for the first two games. He was available for all the rest. But so what? Warne lost Bird for the whole of the key month of February when results started to falter and was working with Rosenior's squad. But you should know very well that Clowes took the decision not to appoint Rosenior for reasons beyond mere results. The continual harping back to Rosenior by some posters is tedious for that very reason and no-one knows how the season would have gone with him in charge.

Some fans will always find it impossible to enjoy the moment, im annoyed about last night but you’ve got to embrace the ups and downs because it’ll be gone in a couple of weeks. As well unfortunately the hangover of Mel’s tenure still has its implications. We got into a decent position and everyone gets twitchy that it’ll be bottled because it’s not perfect. 

I find it quite funny that I see people whinging about Warne in a league we haven’t even got to. What makes you think about that and then think it’s worth posting on here or Twitter or whatever? 

10 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

We have had multiple seasons of below moderate expectations ... even by the madness of the elite english  football world our recent history has been a dreadful downward spiral of a story .

Since the club was saved from the abyss we are making giant strides of progress behind the scenes with acadamy , corporate and communication being keystones . 

The disallusionment comes from the regular dire , just plain awful, performances of the first team .

Yes we are still 2nd 

Yes we can still get promotion via autos or playoffs 

With a squad so highly rated by many outside of the club , we ought to at least turn it on occasionally and take a comfortable victory .

Every game is on a knifeedge . 

The head coach will trot out how dangerous a team Leyton Orient / Cambridge and Carlisle are and that no team will come and get their bellies tickled . 

Ffs just thump them all 4.0 and hope posh and bolton dont match our results .   We need at least 1 big win as the precious goal difference advantage has almost vanished too.

How many times have we royally screwed up this seaaon when in a great position to really take an advantage ? 

Ad nauseum over the last quarter of a century ....

There is still time to get glory in 2024 .  

But that time is running out ..

From a fan who is teetering on the edge of losing the plot . 

#BeMoreB4 because being hysterical isn't going to inspire the team to pull out all the stops in the final three games.

21 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think it boils down to two things....possibly three:

Whether you think the team is better than its sum parts.......that's what good managers achieve and many don't believe PW hasn't achieved that, despite us being in 2nd place.

Is the football good to watch?........I see a lot of snarking at those who are openly critical of the style of play but very few who openly think it's great.

But, I get your point. I'm not sure how it works..... but you can enjoy the season and the results without particularly enjoying the football itself. I'm sort of in that position and reasonably confident we'll hold on to 2nd place.

The other possibility is that we get very high quality football pumped into our living rooms for the rest of the week and unrealistically expect our squad to play error-free in the same manner. I find Man City quite boring to watch on occasions but the game against Real Madrid was a thriller. City made nearly 700 passes with over 90% completion and their outfield players only played 10 long balls. Last night we made 375 passes with less than 70% completion with 60 long balls by outfield players. 

Mrs Bat said to me this morning "I know we've got season tickets again and we may get promoted but I can't stand another season of this sh*t"

That's where a lot of people are I'm afraid.

It seems to have been missed in the general unhappiness last night,but PW did manage to start going off on one about having rose petals thrown in front of him like a Roman emperor (thus adding further evidence to the claim about all men think about the Roman empire).

"Paul Warne titled himself Emperor Hoofitup Three atlabakus and had a glorious victory over barbarians of Bolton and Blackpool, before being overthrown in the millenniumram rebellion "

Our midfield has been unable to dominate games as you would expect from a promotion chasing team all season. It is going to be a nail biting finish to the season and we may yet stagger over the line. Unfortunately the brand of football played by a Warne team will be exposed by the better coached and higher quality Championship sides as it has been in the past at Rotherham.

26 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I think it boils down to two things....possibly three:

Whether you think the team is better than its sum parts.......that's what good managers achieve and many don't believe PW hasn't achieved that, despite us being in 2nd place.

Is the football good to watch?........I see a lot of snarking at those who are openly critical of the style of play but very few who openly think it's great.

But, I get your point. I'm not sure how it works..... but you can enjoy the season and the results without particularly enjoying the football itself. I'm sort of in that position and reasonably confident we'll hold on to 2nd place.

The other possibility is that we get very high quality football pumped into our living rooms for the rest of the week and unrealistically expect our squad to play error-free in the same manner. I find Man City quite boring to watch on occasions but the game against Real Madrid was a thriller. City made nearly 700 passes with over 90% completion and their outfield players only played 10 long balls. Last night we made 375 passes with less than 70% completion with 60 long balls by outfield players. 

Mrs Bat said to me this morning "I know we've got season tickets again and we may get promoted but I can't stand another season of this sh*t"

That's where a lot of people are I'm afraid.

If you and Mrs Bat are comparing us to Man City and Real Madrid, I'm not surprised you're disappointed.

I think many fans have a problem marrying perception with reality. When it comes to the ratio between long passes and short passes, we're 8th lowest on 20%. The only teams at or below 15% are Wigan, Bolton and Peterborough. We're not, by League 1 standards, a "long ball" team, but it's true that our football isn't as easy on the eye as a few teams in the division, but some of those teams aren't anywhere near the top 6, let alone the top 2. 

Of course it could be better, but would you swap the certainty of finishing in the play-offs as a minimum for the chance of what you consider to be more attractive football that might not initially at least be as successful?

I think the truth is that, subconsciously perhaps, some fans have become consumers more than fans, which is very much a 21st century phenomenon. Thus, when the experience isn't thrilling, they look for more reliable fixes.

5 hours ago, S8TY said:

IF we do not go up this season do we think Warne ( who i like as a person ) should stay ?

If we don't make it this season I'd like someone else to be given a chance next season 

Warne himself has said changes will be needed if we don't go up - we'll have failed with the current setup so changes needed to make improvements.

He was obviously talking about the playing staff at the time, but it would be a logical question for Clowes to consider in regards to the manager and coaching staff.

Would it be more cost effective to sack Warne and his coaching staff (2 years left on their contracts), or give Warne a slightly bigger budget?

I can see an argument to give Warne more time - a full season with 2 CMs like Adams would make a huge difference. So too would signing a top CF and Brown coming into the side. We would only need a couple more players to complete a top 2 worthy L1 squad. 

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Getting battered at Lincoln, to be brutal, by which point we hadn't scored a single goal away from home in the League.

Hardly battered. They scored an early penalty and hit us on the counter in the 2nd half.

We still had 10 shots in that game (5 on target), with their keeper making some excellent saves. Also, Collins and Mendez-Laing both had goals ruled out for offside.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne himself has said changes will be needed if we don't go up - we'll have failed with the current setup so changes needed to make improvements.

He was obviously talking about the playing staff at the time, but it would be a logical question for Clowes to consider in regards to the manager and coaching staff.

Would it be more cost effective to sack Warne and his coaching staff (2 years left on their contracts), or give Warne a slightly bigger budget?

I can see an argument to give Warne more time - a full season with 2 CMs like Adams would make a huge difference. So too would signing a top CF and Brown coming into the side. We would only need a couple more players to complete a top 2 worthy L1 squad. 

I think if we'd had Ebou, or someone like him, from day one, we'd be top. He's worth turning two draws into wins and two defeats into draws.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good points but I think we'll be lucky to keep Adams if we are in L1

Personally I'd rather we tried a different coach who's going to use our younger players more ...if ready of course the squad needs major overhaul to me and not sure i want Warne to be conducting that 

The issue if we miss out on automatic this season would be then two years in a row where we’ve fallen off. Top six fully in our control last season, this year top two fully in our hands and blown it.

Would be a big concern for me.

However do think that this debate is probably best saved for two weeks time! Let’s see where we end up!

29 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Good points but I think we'll be lucky to keep Adams if we are in L1

Personally I'd rather we tried a different coach who's going to use our younger players more ...if ready of course the squad needs major overhaul to me and not sure i want Warne to be conducting that 

I doubt Cardiff would be willign to sell to us no matter which league we're in. He has shown we need someone like him in the middle though.

This is how he statistically compares with others in the league:
image.png.cf090e6b1e82410b7d0b65881a69d9d2.png

Essentially, the key areas being: 40%+ aerial wins, and top 10% in the league for tackles, interceptions and overall defensive actions.

If we cut the list down to under 30s, and exclude those who joined a new club in January or ahve already agreed their next move, the only remaining player from League 1 is Freddie Potts (Wycombe on loan from Wycombe)
image.png.07103364aca8058969e669478fe56057.png

If signing from lower leagues, we'd be looking for yougner players with potential. In L2, the only player under 26 is Harvey Bunker (Forest Green)
image.png.e68b0a0523229a5d9ef4013a8c0857c4.png

Edited by Ghost of Clough

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hardly battered. They scored an early penalty and hit us on the counter in the 2nd half.

We still had 10 shots in that game (5 on target), with their keeper making some excellent saves. Also, Collins and Mendez-Laing both had goals ruled out for offside.

I was, in truth, responding in the style of Royston's own contributions, but I remember the fulminating kiddies at the front giving Rosenior and the players the dog's abuse at the end of the game and the responses of many of the posters on the match-day thread, which I link below for reference. I'd say that the general mood was "unhappy", like it often is when Warne loses a game.

17 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

There are things you can definitely blame on the manager, but missing open goals, blazing 1on1 chances over the bar, and generally not turning up is not his fault. The players have to take responsibility for that. 

Agree, would hope that the chances missed were so early though that should be able to react.

second half was poor across the board, no reaction from players and minimal impact from manager.

It's a tough one. The way I see it, I can only think of four or five games this season where we rolled over the opposition, and there have been plenty where we just haven't turned up, we've let crap teams back into the game, or we've just scraped a last-minute winner. Yes, Derby are second, but it doesn't really feel like the performances warrant being up there, just that we have better players than most other teams.

You can certainly blame the players for individual poor choices and errors (Wildsmith's charging out, or CBT's terrible miss, for example) but there have been so many occasions where the line-up has been wrong, Hourihane & Bradley have been shoe-horned into the XI, players are out of position, we've been set up timidly against weak opposition, substitutions are bang-on one week then bizarre the next, we persisted with 2 CMs when it clearly wasn't working, youth players have been totally ignored, we've signed crocks, and some players (Collins, NML) have been run into the ground from lack of rotation. On top of that, the players are obviously being coached to pump cross after cross into the box, and it's a style of football which is dire to watch most of the time.

However, I was recently reminded by a mate who is a Sunderland fan that they had 6 seasons in L1. Portsmouth have spent 11 seasons out of the Championship, Ipswich were down for 5(?) seasons and got pumped up by new investors, Bolton have been here since 2019/20. It could be worse, and League One is difficult to get out of.

My hope is that we go up this season and PW gets the boot asap. (I realise this will sound stupid). He may well get us up but he is not the future. If we dip out of the autos, it won't feel like we've made any progress, especially with the huge rebuild and turnover of players needed, Knight & Bird leaving, Cashin possibly going, etc.

3 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Bravo Mrs Bat 👏

In the match thread there's a few posts where posters watched the WW tv broadcast and they said that the 2 commentators were very complimentary about DCFCs performance.

That's the difference between us and others in this division, I believe this division is poor, I believe the players we have have underperformed, But other teams fans believe we are very good...all down to what you've been watching and what you're expecting I guess.