Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

when was that then?

Well we’ve won by 3 goals or more on ten occasions this season which i think it’s fair to say is quite impressive. There have been other occasions we’ve performed well too. Most recently Port Vale at home where we were brilliant. 

In relation to your other post, I think it’s a bit silly to suggest a team with Forsyth and Bradley at CB would get in the playoffs. I do agree, however, that we have good players. Mind you, we are second 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I’m not saying we’ve been bad. His approach is clearly working to a large extent. My point was there’s not distinct style or continuity to how we play which creates unpredictability to our performances. I think the teams we’ve battered have mostly been teams who try and play a distinct way or passing way every game, who don’t try and counter us e.g. Bristol Rovers. Warnes style is reactionary to the opposition. 

i really don’t think it’s right to put the reason we lost yesterday all down to luck. Even Warne acknowledged we didn’t play well.

i also think you’re undervaluing the quality of our players. I don’t think any Northampton player would get in our squad except maybe Hoskins.

our difficulty signing players doesn’t affect how the manager sets the team up or his playing philosophy.

But in fairness to warne, there have been occasions this season where we’ve been really good. The sad reality is, luck does play a massive part, especially at this level where a lot teams are looking to disrupt us rather than play football and our players aren’t that good, even when they’re relatively some of the best in the division. 

Quality of ****housery is the same regardless of division but obviously premier league players combat it better. There are gonna be days where our less quality players can’t. I think yesterday was one of those. 

I wasn’t at the game so can’t comment on how good we were in fairness but I expect us to lose across a 46 game season 🤷‍♂️ it’s fine and doesn’t really reflect on warne or the players 

37 minutes ago, Jram said:

But in fairness to warne, there have been occasions this season where we’ve been really good. The sad reality is, luck does play a massive part, especially at this level where a lot teams are looking to disrupt us rather than play football and our players aren’t that good, even when they’re relatively some of the best in the division. 

Quality of ****housery is the same regardless of division but obviously premier league players combat it better. There are gonna be days where our less quality players can’t. I think yesterday was one of those. 

I wasn’t at the game so can’t comment on how good we were in fairness but I expect us to lose across a 46 game season 🤷‍♂️ it’s fine and doesn’t really reflect on warne or the players 

My original point was in response to someone who mentioned the foundations seeming to disappear at any given moment. I don't disagree with you that we've been very good in numerous games, but to me they just seem to be one-off games. Our good performance wasn't through a longstanding progression of play style being implemented throughout the season. Everything seems incredibly short term, which is why we lose games like yesterday - because there's no foundational play style to fall back on once the one-off game plan fails. Yes we were unlucky yesterday and could've drawn or won on another day, but the performance wasn't good either. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Agreed, but it will still be competitive against the non-parachute clubs I would wager. 

We spend £17m as a club on wages now: Bristol City are at £26m, Cardiff City £22m, Blackburn £24m, Hull City £23m, Preston £20m, Middlesbrough £29m, Swansea £26m, QPR £22m, Stoke £28m. 

Even with selling Knight -We lost £6 + million last season . Home crowds won’t get much bigger ( apart from playing parachute teams) . They could get smaller if we struggle . We could do with this T V money sorting - so we can help the squad compete.

10 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

My original point was in response to someone who mentioned the foundations seeming to disappear at any given moment. I don't disagree with you that we've been very good in numerous games, but to me they just seem to be one-off games. Our good performance wasn't through a longstanding progression of play style being implemented throughout the season. Everything seems incredibly short term, which is why we lose games like yesterday - because there's no foundational play style to fall back on once the one-off game plan fails. Yes we were unlucky yesterday and could've drawn or won on another day, but the performance wasn't good either. 

What if in a sliding doors moment that shot from Waghorn had gone in, it could have been a completely different scenario and a 20 page shorter match day thread.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

really?

but for some injuries, with our squad we could put out a B team that could still get in play offs 

image.png.7d7df357a0f64aca6ea3fd6250dad4d6.png  image.png.7b0f3f21f7f088dbe8501408096df31f.png

This doesn't even include players like Waghorn, Rooney, Washington, John-Jules, etc

Just because a player signs for a fee, doesn't automatically make them a better signing. A lot of our free signings have been amongst the best in the division these last 2 seasons. Mendez-Laing, Nelson, McGoldrick, etc. Not to mention all our academy players which also cost us nothing. 

Warne seems committed to the 3-5-2. I don't think its very good anyway but I don't understand why he's using it with our current injuries. We have all these strikers out and he now insists on playing a formation with 2. He played Waghorn and NML up front - NML has been amazing all season but he's been the weakest when asked to play striker, and if you play 2 up top with no wide attackers the strikers need pace, which is why Waghorn struggled. 

I also don't know what he's doing with Blackett-Taylor. He scored 8 and assisted 6 playing in LW in a 4-3-3 for Charlton and I think he's only played there once for us. 

20 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

What if in a sliding doors moment that shot from Waghorn had gone in, it could have been a completely different scenario and a 20 page shorter match day thread.

What if Wildsmith didn't make a worldie save against Bolton, or if their corner that hit the bar was a few inches lower? 

If we played better we wouldn't need to rely on one Waghorn chance going in or not.

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Even with selling Knight -We lost £6 + million last season . Home crowds won’t get much bigger ( apart from playing parachute teams) . They could get smaller if we struggle . We could do with this T V money sorting - so we can help the squad compete.

Clowes actually seems to acknowledge this is a loss-making industry, otherwise his best chance to make Derby sustainable would be to scrap the academy all together and continue signing players in free agency for the foreseeable. 

We know our first team staff cost £7.4m in 22/23, but overall wages were £17m. I believe has been increased to between £9-10m for first team costs so will be roughly running, as a club, similar wages to Preston. Albeit, they aren’t footing the cost of a Category One academy. 

The fact Clowes is happy to fund the academy isn’t a vanity project, he seems to acknowledge that it’s a risk/reward investment and is happy to foot the cost. Investment in the first team works in the same way, if you get it right. 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Clowes actually seems to acknowledge this is a loss-making industry, otherwise his best chance to make Derby sustainable would be to scrap the academy all together and continue signing players in free agency for the foreseeable. 

We know our first team staff cost £7.4m in 22/23, but overall wages were £17m. I believe has been increased to between £9-10m for first team costs so will be roughly running, as a club, similar wages to Preston. Albeit, they aren’t footing the cost of a Category One academy. 

The fact Clowes is happy to fund the academy isn’t a vanity project, he seems to acknowledge that it’s a risk/reward investment and is happy to foot the cost. Investment in the first team works in the same way, if you get it right. 

That £7.3m didn't include: Bielik and all other players out on loan; Knight, Sibley, Cashin and Thompson as they fall into the U21 academy system category; potentially Rooney and Oduroh for the same reason; potentially Loach due to being a part-time coach.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That £7.3m didn't include: Bielik and all other players out on loan; Knight, Sibley, Cashin and Thompson as they fall into the U21 academy system category; potentially Rooney and Oduroh for the same reason; potentially Loach due to being a part-time coach.

So Knight, Sibley etc don't count as first team players because they came through the academy system? In which case the cost of running the academy is peanuts if you take their wages out of that running cost. Or am I missing something?

21 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Why are some internet posters just so damn thoughtless and annoying?  🤷‍♂️

I've just realised I'm wasting my life away spending all that time constantly/regularly reading the 4 syllables of "PW", when a simple "Paul Warne" would reduce that to two syllables, and I can get on with doing stuff.

Stop being so God damn lazy, and type the bloody thing out, yeah! 

It just as bad as "www."  It's so much quicker to say "world wide web dot"!   👀

The answer is to read it in your head as P-Dubz

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

So Knight, Sibley etc don't count as first team players because they came through the academy system? In which case the cost of running the academy is peanuts if you take their wages out of that running cost. Or am I missing something?

Any player aged under 21 as of Jan 1st prior to the season starting (ie born in 2001 or later for last season). I thought it was only academy graduates, but it seems to include signigs too (such as Rooney).
For the current season, Sibley and Cashin are no logner excluded from the SCMP calculation, but Thompson and Rooney still are.

The academy costs around £4m a year at the moment.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Any player aged under 21 as of Jan 1st prior to the season starting (ie born in 2001 or later for last season). I thought it was only academy graduates, but it seems to include signigs too (such as Rooney).
For the current season, Sibley and Cashin are no logner excluded from the SCMP calculation, but Thompson and Rooney still are.

The academy costs around £4m a year at the moment.

So you're saying then that in this £4m a year the wages of all players 21 or under are included? Obviously that means that the average wage of the first team squad is higher, but it really does make more sense to keep the category one status.