Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, angieram said:

A touch of class from Mendez-Laing after his goal today, acknowledging Barkhuizen's excellent assist.

645 - Derby County vs Barnsley - Aug 13th 2022.jpeg.jpg

I think these two are going to turn out to be the stars of this season. Already seem to have an understanding.

Keep these two fit, get Collins scoring, and this season could turn into one of the best for many a year.

COYR!

1 hour ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Absolute nonsense labelling anyone who's worried about the inclusion of a player they don't rate as whingeing or scapegoating. I don't think anyone said we were going to lose the game just because he was playing?

All criticism of Stearman that I saw was with the caveat that he wasn't supposed to be the long term solution, something he has acknowledged himself. 

If Chester was available he wouldn't have featured.

Are only falsely positive reactions to a bit part player with a career history littered with mistakes allowed?

It's overprotective b*******, which I do actually get after the past few years where we all NEEDED to unite despite individual opinions, but it seems some have taken it to the extreme and simply won't hear any criticism without levelling it scapegoating

I'm not sure why people were even commenting on Stearman's inclusion when there was no alternative? Who would you have included in his place as a right-sided Centre Back? Help me here because I haven't got a clue. But please, ffs, don't say "sign someone better". 

2 hours ago, sage said:

I don't think we can play Hourihane and Sibley in a midfield three. Their midfield were picking up the loose balls and when we are passing out from the back, Sibley need to drop a bit deeper to provide an option. 

Agree. 
I think if knighty becomes available in midfield its one of those two plus knight ahead of bird

16 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure why people were even commenting on Stearman's inclusion when there was no alternative? Who would you have included in his place as a right-sided Centre Back? Help me here because I haven't got a clue. But please, ffs, don't say "sign someone better". 

Harry Maguire ?‍♀️ 

33 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If there's no viable alternative you have to pretend what you're left with is better than it is?

We could have moved Roberts to CB and had Forsyth at LB, not saying it'd  have worked but it is a viable alternative.

It goes back to the idea that you can't analyse or criticise anything Wayne Rooney did because the options were limited. It was all brushed under the carpet but as soon as he left it bloody well came out with people steadfastly defending his every word suddenly changing their opinions to that which matches some more sceptical views on his time in charge.

Plenty of people have now said that they believe Rosenior was the driving force behind our playstyle.

Criticism isn't scapegoating, if you see the rating thread you'll see that I think other players were performed worse.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

6 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

If there's no viable alternative you have to pretend what you're left with is better than it is?

It goes back to the idea that you can't analyse or criticise anything Wayne Rooney did because the options were limited. It was all brushed under the carpet but as soon as he left it bloody well came out with people steadfastly defending his every word suddenly changing their opinions to that which matches some more sceptical views on his time in charge.

Plenty of people have now said that they believe Rosenior was the driving force behind our playstyle

We are a League 1 side who have scrambled a team together from freebies and loans. Having Stearman as 4th choice center back is very good in the circumstances imo.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

It must seriously screw with your head, Mr Negative, whenever Derby win.

Well 2 things

— if you ignore everything I say that is positive then I’ll probably seem pretty negative

- the key thing about these early games is how we’re developing - they show us how the season is likely to play out. The result isn’t everything

It was as comfortable as you get in the first half, but a deflected shot meant we had to grind it out in the end. It's good to be on the right side of a result in that type of game for once.

We've got such a good team, lots of good individuals, you can definitely see it coming together although we've still got some way to go. I think this is going to be a thoroughly enjoyable season, so try and take in as much of it as possible! 

43 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm far from his biggest fan, but he was really good today, and as you've pointed out, there was no other choice.

Played better than what you'd expect a fourth choice centre half to do.

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

We are a League 1 side who have scrambled a team together from freebies and loans. Having Stearman as 4th choice center back is very good in the circumstances imo.

Yes, 4th choice. With a history of mistakes across his career. A player who declined past Championship quality over 3 years ago? Who bit stupidly sent off on a game last season and gave away a goal in his next performance, wasn't trusted to play over an academy CB even when we were screaming put for experience? A player who is known not to be able to pass it out from the back effectively and makes more mistakes than Keogh?

I'm sorry alright, forgive me for thinking that he might be a hindrance to us.

Much better game than was expecting in that heat particularly where we are at since coming out of admin. At half time thought we had looked good but second half more scrappy as played to their strengths.  Cashin was immense today but he really worried me when he seemed to drag one of theirs down with him when he was on the ground. But MOTM performance. Stearman was fine. Had my 80 y/o mum with me today and her summary was "if they spent more time forwards into the box and less time titting about the back" we would be better. She also really liked "the stocky one at the back, the scruffy one with his socks down and Mr Shoulders". But think we all like Mr Shoulders

Edited by CBRammette

I couldn't get to the game or even listen as I was travelling back from Cornwall. I can't comment on the game, but the result is excellent - I'm truly amazed that any Rams fan isn't feeling delighted with how the season has started.

We're through to the second round of the League Cup and sitting 7th in the league. This is with a scratch squad, pulled together on a shoestring by a rookie manager.

Given that we were close to losing our club a few weeks ago, this is dreamland for me. Our players haven’t yet gelled and they are still not fit. The players will get better. Rosenior is on a learning curve and his inevitable early mistakes are likely to get fewer as the season progresses. 

We're doing well and very likely to do even better. We all need a little early patience...but the signs so far are very encouraging.