Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

25 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

If there's no viable alternative you have to pretend what you're left with is better than it is?

No, you don't have to say anything. You chose to though, so others are entitled to comment on that and whether or not it added anything to the prematch discussion. My opinion is that it didn't. 

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Yes, 4th choice. With a history of mistakes across his career. A player who declined past Championship quality over 3 years ago? Who bit stupidly sent off on a game last season and gave away a goal in his next performance, wasn't trusted to play over an academy CB even when we were screaming put for experience? A player who is known not to be able to pass it out from the back effectively and makes more mistakes than Keogh?

I'm sorry alright, forgive me for thinking that he might be a hindrance to us.

Any center back is going to have a string of mistakes, Keogh is a prime example....our player of the season but making mistakes, it's inevitable. 

3 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Yes, 4th choice. With a history of mistakes across his career. A player who declined past Championship quality over 3 years ago? Who bit stupidly sent off on a game last season and gave away a goal in his next performance, wasn't trusted to play over an academy CB even when we were screaming put for experience? A player who is known not to be able to pass it out from the back effectively and makes more mistakes than Keogh?

I'm sorry alright, forgive me for thinking that he might be a hindrance to us.

He wasn't today though

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'm far from his biggest fan, but he was really good today, and as you've pointed out, there was no other choice.

Played better than what you'd expect a fourth choice centre half to do.

He was perfunctory and without Cashin giving a heroes performance we'd probably have lost.

As expected though an average performance is being bigged up as better than it was because oh no someone said nasty things about him on the internet.

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

No, you don't have to say anything. You chose to though, so others are entitled to comment on that and whether or not it added anything to the prematch discussion. My opinion is that it didn't. 

Quite. I chose to comment and talk about the long term prospects of a player being involved in the first XI

Others have chosen to ignore the wider view and turn defensive.

Fair f****

12 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

He was perfunctory and without Cashin giving a heroes performance we'd probably have lost.

As expected though an average performance is being bigged up as better than it was because oh no someone said nasty things about him on the internet.

It's an odd argument you're making, in my opinion.

Perfunctory is a good term, and it applies to his performance today. 

He did nothing wrong, and executed his limited skill set well, so why not praise him for that?  

He played well, whether that's measured against other unavailable players, or against his own benchmark of performances so far for Derby doesn't really matter.

He played well, full stop.

Well my 5 year old fancied an afternoon with her grandma so my 3 year old went to her first game!! Can’t believe she sat through it and seemed to enjoy it!! She’s been banging on at me to take her but at 3 thought she was way too young (especially as she terrorised the cinema when we went to see sing 2!)  It helped the people in front weren’t there today so she could kick the seat in front to her hearts content. 

As for the game. The conditions played a huge part. Don’t think I’ve ever been to a game as hot as that. Early in second half it was clear they had no more to give. Players like Bird Sibley and Barkhuizen who were prominent first half struggled second. Sibley was invisible second half the Smith substitution was to regain control of midfield it didn’t work as the momentum had shifted.  Although Barnsley were on top they scored a lucky goal which is what gave them the extra push to put us under the cosh. 

Overall we got away with one but one thing today demonstrated was at this level we have firepower and we’re clinical. 

On paper our first three games are pretty tough and we’ve come through them with 6 points out of 9 with a newly patched together squad with less preseason than everyone else. Not bad if you ask me.

Cashin is outstanding (I said he would be in league one team of the year and he’s confirming it) and Collins will score very soon and will bang in several this season.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's an odd argument you're making, in my opinion.

Perfunctory is a good term, and it applies to his performance today. 

He did nothing wrong, and executed his limited skill set well, so why not praise him for that?  

He played well, whether that's measured against other unavailable players, or against his own benchmark of performances so far for Derby doesn't really matter.

He played well, full stop.

I never said he didn't play well, but there are caveats to any players performance.

He didn't 'do nothing wrong", no  player ever does, but he didn't add anything either. Some people have pointed out his weak block leading to their goal.

He was bailed out by just how good Cashin was .

Point is people are making out he was better than he was and pretending that anyone who doesn't rate him is talking s***, purely put of some. weird defensive mechanism.

He's fitting perfectly into the "new Keogh"role where people won't have a bad word said about him and will collectively mock anyone who points out his flaws.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I never said he didn't play well, but there are caveats to any players performance.

He didn't 'do nothing wrong", no  player ever does, but he didn't add anything either. He was bailed out by just how good Cashin was 

Point is people are making out he was better than he was and pretending that anyone who doesn't rate him is talking s***, purely put of some. weird defensive mechanism.

I get the feeling I may have wondered into an argument that's been running prior to kick off. 

Did you cast doubt on his skills prior to kick off? If so, I'd have been in agreement, he's not my favourite either.  

Regardless, he played well enough today.

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

I get the feeling I may have wondered into an argument that's been running prior to kick off. 

Did you cast doubt on his skills prior to kick off? If so, I'd have been in agreement, he's not my favourite either.  

Regardless, he played well enough today.

Correct Mr Olution!

I have cast my doubt ever since he was rumoured to be joining. Little so far has proven me wrong.

Good player to shore things up, but given a run of first team appearances and he'll be a calamity.

Never said he wasn't good for one off games.

32 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

He stood in well - they were an effective pair in the circumstances - perhaps having Stearman there gave Cashin the confidence to have that amazing performance as they generally seem to have a good rapport? I dont think his performance is being bigged up but posters are just trying to be fair and not annihilate someone

14 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

We were nearly without a club 6 or 7 weeks ago. To see us perform to an acceptable level in the first 3 games is superb. We are doing fine. Every game is a challenge. Rosenoir is dragging this club and side out the gutter. Let the snowball get bigger...we are competative..there is the start. 

Well said. We are in so much better a place than I thought we would be at this point. Every time we sing "you are my derby" it makes me well up

19 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

He didn't 'do nothing wrong", no  player ever does, but he didn't add anything either. Some people have pointed out his weak block leading to their goal.

He was bailed out by just how good Cashin was .

He's fitting perfectly into the "new Keogh"role where people won't have a bad word said about him and will collectively mock anyone who points out his flaws.

He's 34 and a bit part player for the season most likely but career wise your being a bit harsh. His best days are behind but he did have a fair few. Player of the year at Leicester, PFA championship team of the year, player of the year, players player of the year and promotion at Wolves. promotion with Sheff Utd.  He's done alright. We'll get more out of him than Chester I reckon. 

Well that was a game that hinged on a turning point. But I don't think it was the start of the second half, nor was it solely down to the temperature, because it was just as hot for the Barnsley players. In the same way it wasn't down to  lack of fitness, although it was a factor to a degree. To me, it all hinged on two incidents involving the referee. But then I would, wouldn't I?

The first one was the weird rule about the need to go off the pitch or not go off the pitch after treatment. It should have fired us up and got us going again, but seemed to fire Barnsley up instead. I mistakenly thought that it told Barnsley that they could do anything they wanted and get away with it. Instead that message was emphasised over the foul on Barkhuisen. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread he was running things down his wing (vis a vis his part in that beautiful second goal), and didn't after the foul. And how the ref didn't produce a card, I have no idea. Actually I do, and another email to Rick Parry is next on my list after this. And when Knight was wrestled to the floor, it should have been another yellow card, but instead the ref decided to give both players a talking to . Knight for having the temerity of being violently thrown to the floor.

Yes Barnsley had upped their game in the second half - maybe a slight tactical change, but what it was I don't know, but suddenly Derby were on the back foot. But in the first half you would be forgiven for wondering how Barnsley were actually playing in this league, they were so poor. There was the shot which went for a corner in the opening minutes, and a glorious chance after our playing around at the back did what it is inevitably going to do. Apart from that, there was nothing. Some of our interplay was tremendous, something which Collins was well involved with doing. Plus he is constantly getting in the right places, and goals will come. Plus this season we are crating chances, which we hardly did last season. Should Rosenior have taken Sibley off? Well he didn't do much in the second half, but neither did our wingers, because neither our wingers, nor Sibley were getting much in the way of service. But another reason, including why we didn't bolster midfield with Thompson, for instance, was perhaps keeping an eye on Tuesday nights match. It is coming up very quickly after today's match, which will have been really draining, so maybe he is keeping a bit of freshness ready for Tuesday.

The fact is, as many have said, we are a team cobbled together at the last minute from a bunch of cast-offs, who are 2 or 3 weeks behind everyone else in fitness, so to be where we are is stupendously good. When we start to click, somebody is in for a real beating!

Come On You Rams!

22 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

He stood in well - they were an effective pair in the circumstances - perhaps having Stearman there gave Cashin the confidence to have that amazing performance as they generally seem to have a good rapport? I dont think his performance is being bigged up but posters are just trying to be fair and not annihilate someone

I don't disagree with any of that I even stated it. It long term I have concerns which I also said.

Fed up of being jumped.on now tbh, f*** this I'm done.

(half joking btw, I'm just done with username variant, and I can change it soon!)