Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

For saying my NE seat was in the shade all game, I can't help thinking I must have been hallucinating, as I came away singing "Toddo... Toddo... Toddo".

Catching up on this thread just now, it turns out he wasn't even playing, yet I'd swear blind I saw him with my own eyes!

#gottalovecashin

1 hour ago, Coconut's Beard said:

He was perfunctory and without Cashin giving a heroes performance we'd probably have lost.

As expected though an average performance is being bigged up as better than it was because oh no someone said nasty things about him on the internet.

Perfunctory is a harsh word to use. His performance today was better than that on effort alone. Seems like you are having to work hard to defend an opinion not actually relating to today's performance.

Two things I missed: Cashin was in the process of thanking fans all round the stadium (instead of just some of us, before he disappeared down the tunnel) and was visibly taken aback when we sang a song specifically about him! Brilliant - he is something very special!

Secondly Derby County have developed a tremendous sense of resilience. Even last year with the togetherness generated by having to fight the entire world all the time, there were occasions  when the constant barrage of fouls, or the incessant bias of the match officials would make our heads go down. Not this season. Even when we are under the cosh for long periods we now keep going, keep plugging away and grind a result out. It is a great characteristic to add to our arsenal. Long may it continue!

I've read comments about the miss of the year for Barnsley....am assuming it's the one by Aitchson in the second half.... watching the match highlights this morning it's nothing like as bad as being made out... hardly in even the same league of say Kanu for West Brom against Boro for example.

I know he didn't even hit the target but who's to say if he did then he would have scored, there was Wildsmith right in front of him and Stearman on the line.

Just seems to be a bit of hysteria on here around it.

Of course with all the clinincal goalscorers playing for Mars Bars academicals in the Sunday league as commentors on here then that probably explains it.

Strange how we see things differently in a game of football,, for me sibley was close to motm first half , I thought him and Collins gave Barnsley no time to settle , was surprised to see him taken off so early but thought perhaps it was because he had put so much in and was tiring , cashin was superb ,, Robert’s is feast or famine and scare the bejeez out of me ,

we took the three points in a game where we struggled second half again and had to cling on , move on to the next and it’s great to be watching us playing football instead of worrying whether we survive as a club

Apologies if I missed it... did we get to the bottom of the fiasco with their guy not being told to exit the pitch after receiving attention from their physio?
A fair few fans raging that he was allowed to stay on for the free kick.
What was all that about?  ?‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

Strange how we see things differently in a game of football,, for me sibley was close to motm first half , I thought him and Collins gave Barnsley no time to settle , was surprised to see him taken off so early but thought perhaps it was because he had put so much in and was tiring , cashin was superb ,, Robert’s is feast or famine and scare the bejeez out of me ,

we took the three points in a game where we struggled second half again and had to cling on , move on to the next and it’s great to be watching us playing football instead of worrying whether we survive as a club

I thought we played well first half but tired ourselves out - it was 36C!

I feared we might go straight through the trap door even when we were bought - we had no players after all; and before that we might have had further points reductions without David Clowes paying more than value.

Sixth in the league with 100% home record is living the dream.  We just need to become able to win away now.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Apologies if I missed it... did we get to the bottom of the fiasco with their guy not being told to exit the pitch after receiving attention from their physio?

Ye it’s been discussed a few pages back. If the player receives treatment after a foul for which the offending player was carded he is permitted to stay on the pitch after treatment. 

6 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Ye it’s been discussed a few pages back. If the player receives treatment after a foul for which the offending player was carded he is permitted to stay on the pitch after treatment. 

And this was the first ref in the 6 or so years since this rule to enforce it. 

9 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Yes, 4th choice. With a history of mistakes across his career. A player who declined past Championship quality over 3 years ago? Who bit stupidly sent off on a game last season and gave away a goal in his next performance, wasn't trusted to play over an academy CB even when we were screaming put for experience? A player who is known not to be able to pass it out from the back effectively and makes more mistakes than Keogh?

I'm sorry alright, forgive me for thinking that he might be a hindrance to us.

Genuine question, have you studied his career, including the times he’s played for other clubs, to support that statement?

Sure, he makes mistakes but so do all players. If we decide to cherry pick specific incidents and ignore a players performance throughout the rest of the game then Curtis would have been dropped (rather than missing the game due to injury) which, of course, would have been ludicrous. I’m not suggesting he’s of the same standard as Curtis or Cashin but, overall, he is a very able deputy IMO.

With regard to the sending off, I can’t remember the incident precisely but wasn’t he left exposed and effectively left with little choice? There were certainly more “stupid sending offs” from other players last season.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

And this was the first ref in the 6 or so years since this rule to enforce it. 

I was unaware of this rule change.  But we can't criticise a referee for enforcing the rules of the game.  The fact others haven't does not mean he should not.

To be honest, this going off and coming back thing is a farce.  If a player is time wasting, book him.  It is a waste of everyone's time making him leave the field.  

Think it’s natural to have a moan after the game, particularly when the second half tested the weak bladdered derby fans. I certainly had a good old moan coming out of Charlton last week.

Missed Oxford but have been to Charlton/Barnsley games, have to say I’m happy with how things are lining up this season.

You’ve seen flashes of quality from us but it’s early season games, they’re weird. Once we’re in mid season form we’d finish off someone like Charlton with the amount of chances we created and we’d have been very comfortable if Collins had made it 3-0 yesterday.

But we’ve ground out a win yesterday in an early season game that no one will remember. It was tip top.

Glaring weakness in the squad is that, in my opinion, our best player is stuck at RB. The midfield lacks a bit of bite with an engine room of Bird/Hourihane but it obviously boasts two playmakers that are possibly unparalleled in the division.

It’s a funny problem to have and it’s easy to get drawn into the idea we need a Shinnie type in there. For me, once Knight is back in midfield he will add a bit of steel/ball winning ability as well as bringing his quality going forward. That’ll be an incredible midfield and with Sibley/Smith for depth, we won’t come up against any better.

To me it looks like the plan is to play teams off the pitch and there’s going to be some really entertaining games this season, can’t wait.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've read comments about the miss of the year for Barnsley....am assuming it's the one by Aitchson in the second half.... watching the match highlights this morning it's nothing like as bad as being made out... hardly in even the same league of say Kanu for West Brom against Boro for example.

I know he didn't even hit the target but who's to say if he did then he would have scored, there was Wildsmith right in front of him and Stearman on the line.

Just seems to be a bit of hysteria on here around it.

Of course with all the clinincal goalscorers playing for Mars Bars academicals in the Sunday league as commentors on here then that probably explains it.

The fuss on RD after the game about them missing three chances and how we could have lost. We missed equally good chances amd their goal was lucky. Don't get the self flaggellation at times. 

Also,  what part of starting pre season rwo weeks late paired with tiring in the second half in 32c heat don't some fans understand. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

The gist is the rule has changed - if the player was fouled & it draws a yellow for the fouler, the injured player doesn’t have to leave the pitch.