Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Smith is a better defensive player than Sibley. That’s a fact.

And at the time we needed defensive experience.

I think the way forward is with Sibley, but that change made sense.

In an ideal world though, we bring in a better right-back and Knight goes into midfield.

A trio of Bird, Hourihane and Knight would be the best midfield in League One.

Everyone has opinions but he isn't fit or has seen better days.  At one point he was that desperate to stop play he grabbed the ball before the ref blew.  He looked tired when he came on and got caught in possession twice in a couple of minutes.  He was well behind the play against Oxford as well. He might get better with fitness but he shouldn't be getting that in the team and under that pressure.  Needs to go on a few jogs round the park.  

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Our midfield needs boosting. We need a terrier in there, especially when we play away.

However, for now we can enjoy the positives.

It’s good to be back.

Sad I couldn’t be there but consoled by the fact I should this time tomorrow be in Kefalonia. 

Happy weekend everyone ?

I honestly think thats meant to be smiths job.. cos im not sure his skillset offers much else as his career history suggests

i think and am hoping its a case of fitness and getting match sharp

i think we will get stronger in time 

Blimey ,it didn’t take long for the moaners and football managers in the stands to start!  44 days ago we were still in administration.Since then we’ve signed 12/13 new players in a market based on financial restrictions imposed by the EFL.We’re at least a fortnight behind in terms of fitness and we’re trying to bed in these new players and develop a playing pattern with an inexperienced,although articulate and enthusistic ,interim manager.Football isn’t an exact science and each season there’ll be highs and lows.Personally,I’m delighted with the start and expect fitness and results to improve steadily.Just listened to LR’s post match interview and he emphasised we’re a work in progress and the importance of spirit,resilience and determination in the squad.I think the realists among us realise there’s still a long way to go but from where we were,we should be really pleased with the progress made. Onwards and upwards !

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sibley barely touched the ball second half. Bringing Smith on made sense, to freshen it up.

The idea was to control the game.

But in the space of five minutes, we missed a glorious chance for 3-0 and then Barnsley scored from nothing.

We lost control after that. But Smith used his experience well to win free kicks and slow the game down.

That’s how it will be in this league.

I’m sure we will batter a few teams by three or four at some stage, but games like today was just getting over the line and Smith helped us get there.

Lol.

How long was that? Less than 10 minutes? I bet he'd have done better with the ball on the edge of the box than Smith did with his first two touches. It's not a place I like seeing Smith in.

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I honestly think thats meant to be smiths job.. cos im not sure his skillset offers much else as his career history suggests

i think and am hoping its a case of fitness and getting match sharp

i think we will get stronger in time 

No Smith is a clever footballer not a tough one. 

Well-regarded at Bristol City and I think, in time, a good acquisition.

He, like many others, needs games under his belt.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What was the other sitter? The early second half one was one of the worst misses you will see this season.

But I don’t recall another one? Certainly no more presentable that the Collins miss.

Captain’s header in ? 75th minute ?

Collins’ was no more than a half chance imho, goal was covered, but the beauty of the move heightened the disappointment  (plus, he’s had a few half chances... ) 

Edited by kevinhectoring

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol.

How long was that? Less than 10 minutes? I bet he'd have done better with the ball on the edge of the box than Smith did with his first two touches. It's not a place I like seeing Smith in.

The sub came in the 58th minute.

If you want context, here are the stats over 90 mins

Sibley: 17 touches, 10 passes, 70% pass accuracy, 2 shots, zero tackles, one foul won

Smith: 17 touches, 10 passes, 70% pass accuracy, zero shots, two tackles, two fouls won

Smith did just as much on the ball in half the time he was on the field, while he did 2x as much off the ball in terms of winning fouls and making tackles. 

Sibley is more exciting. He drives with the ball. He moves the opposition out of space. But today he was barely involved, so of course it made sense to bring on a better defensive player when 2-0 up.

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Captain’s header in ? 75th minute ?

Collins’ was no more than a half chance imho, goal was covered, but the beauty of the move heightened the disappointment  (plus, he’s had a few half chances... ) 

Are you mad? Collins was a far easier chance. He was three yards out. Their header was far from a sitter considering he was climbing over players to reach the ball and he was underneath the ball.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The sub came in the 58th minute.

If you want context, here are the stats over 90 mins

Sibley: 17 touches, 10 passes, 70% pass accuracy, 2 shots, zero tackles, one foul won

Smith: 17 touches, 10 passes, 70% pass accuracy, zero shots, two tackles, two fouls won

Smith did just as much on the ball in half the time he was on the field, while he did 2x as much off the ball in terms of winning fouls and making tackles. 

Sibley is more exciting. He drives with the ball. He moves the opposition out of space. But today he was barely involved, so of course it made sense to bring on a better defensive player when 2-0 up.

Those stats do not tell the whole story. Sibley closed down and tracked back more in the first half - when we were mostly playing on the whole pitch. In the 2nd half we were mainly in our own half and so there was little in the way of attacking intent from Smith or us.

The foul in the box won by Smith could easily have not been given and a penalty awarded as he grabbed at the ball after a slight nudge when he went over - not bright.

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Those stats do not tell the whole story. Sibley closed down and tracked back more in the first half - when we were mostly playing on the whole pitch. In the 2nd half we were mainly in our own half and so there was little in the way of attacking intent from Smith or us.

The foul in the box won by Smith could easily have not been given and a penalty awarded as he grabbed at the ball after a slight nudge when he went over - not bright.

I don’t get your point? We were 2-0 up so it made sense we would drop back and having a better defensive player and one who controls the ball more in terms of possession made sense.

Smith provided both of those.

Sibley is a better attacking player. Smith is a better defensive player.

When we are losing, Sibley is a better option to have chasing a goal. When we are winning, Smith is a better option when controlling and defending.

What are we debating here?

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t get your point? We were 2-0 up so it made sense we would drop back and having a better defensive player and one who controls the ball more in terms of possession made sense.

Smith provided both of those.

Sibley is a better attacking player. Smith is a better defensive player.

When we are losing, Sibley is a better option to have chasing a goal. When we are winning, Smith is a better option when controlling and defending.

What are we debating here?

Perhaps that we didn't defend very well but got away with it, and maybe at home attack is a better form of defence. Smith looked ordinary. Maybe when he gets fit, but you'd have to say he doesn't look it. 

One very fluky goal changed the complexion of the game .. suddenly Barnsley were threatening. Cashin Mom for me. 

Poor use of subs again by Rosenior and an odd choice of game to give Sibley his first start but we held out for a win. We need to do better against the likes of Peterborough , Plymouth and Wycombe who will all be more of a threat than Barnsley . But hey we won.

Fitness will come and across 50++ games, you don't want your squad at concert pitch after only 3 games anyway. Some of ours have not had a lot of football in recent times and will need time to get match fit and sharp. Even as it is, we could quite easily be 3 from 3 and sat top of the table, despite a half-cooked and makeshift squad still needing time to gel.

Think it's safe to assume there's a a deal of improvement still to be unlocked and that's a pretty exciting prospect after the last couple of seasons.

COYR