Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Cashin and Knight were superb.  I have no idea what Smith offers in terms of starting/replacing Sibley.  That substitution along with the Collins miss could have cost us. We desperately need Knights legs back in midfield. Young lad from Everton needs to toughen up quickly.  Collins can play that role for an hour and no more he hasn't enough in the tank. Quite a grind in the end.  McGoldrick was perfect for that game for 20 minutes to relieve the pressure .  Not sure why he wasn't used. 

Our midfield needs boosting. We need a terrier in there, especially when we play away.

However, for now we can enjoy the positives.

It’s good to be back.

Sad I couldn’t be there but consoled by the fact I should this time tomorrow be in Kefalonia. 

Happy weekend everyone ?

1 minute ago, Magicman said:

Blimey we had to hang on today. Cashin outstanding and little offered by Collins & Sibley . 

Thought Sibley did well first half.  Collins works his arse off but only has 50 minutes in him and has a severe lack of confidence in front of goal so we need another option if McGoldricks fitness is patchy.  At his age it will be.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Cashin and Knight were superb.  I have no idea what Smith offers in terms of starting/replacing Sibley.  That substitution along with the Collins miss could have cost us. We desperately need Knights legs back in midfield. Young lad from Everton needs to toughen up quickly.  Collins can play that role for an hour and no more he hasn't enough in the tank. Quite a grind in the end.  McGoldrick was perfect for that game for 20 minutes to relieve the pressure .  Not sure why he wasn't used. 

Sibley barely touched the ball second half. Bringing Smith on made sense, to freshen it up.

The idea was to control the game.

But in the space of five minutes, we missed a glorious chance for 3-0 and then Barnsley scored from nothing.

We lost control after that. But Smith used his experience well to win free kicks and slow the game down.

That’s how it will be in this league.

I’m sure we will batter a few teams by three or four at some stage, but games like today was just getting over the line and Smith helped us get there.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Sibley barely touched the ball second half. Bringing Smith on made sense, to freshen it up.

The idea was to control the game.

But in the space of five minutes, we missed a glorious chance for 3-0 and then Barnsley scored from nothing.

We lost control after that. But Smith used his experience well to win free kicks and slow the game down.

That’s how it will be in this league.

I’m sure we will batter a few teams by three or four at some stage, but games like today was just getting over the line and Smith helped us get there.

Sorry mate but he was a liability.  Maybe fitness but he offers nowt at the minute.

Cashin was great but Stearman not far off..he certainly steps up on the rare occasions he is needed..

Collins needs a goal..you can see we are still at pre-season fitness levels in some respects so all these early season wins are a bonus..

I know Sibley gets a massive love in on here but to be fair he wasn't at his best today and did nothing second half..trouble is his replacement hasn't been that great so far.

2 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

How bad was the Cashin tackle? Didnt see it. Should we have been playing with 10 men?

Absolutely not. No different that the one they did on the touch line and the ref did nothing. 

3 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

How bad was the Cashin tackle? Didnt see it. Should we have been playing with 10 men?

Many refs would have sent him off, not a red for me though..even Barks in commentary said he was lucky.

Edited by Yani P

Just now, DerbyRam! said:

It was bad but not a forceful challenge to warrant a red. Their player’s reaction made it look like a horror challenge, but he was up and running again 30 seconds later when he should have left the field when the physio came on. Bizarre from the ref as he then forced Barkhuizen off 5 minutes later when Derby’s physio came on for less time.

That was a massive game of two halves. First half was decent. Bird and Hourihane in particular. Second half was really poor. Couldn’t keep hold of the ball at all and really lucky to escape with a win - even though we had a sitter to go 3-0 before the onslaught started.

Chalk up the three points, acknowledge it’s early season in ungodly temperature and learn from it. On we go. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sorry mate but he was a liability.  Maybe fitness but he offers nowt at the minute.

Smith is a better defensive player than Sibley. That’s a fact.

And at the time we needed defensive experience.

I think the way forward is with Sibley, but that change made sense.

In an ideal world though, we bring in a better right-back and Knight goes into midfield.

A trio of Bird, Hourihane and Knight would be the best midfield in League One.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Crying now?

Even if he had scored, which he didn't, that would have no bearing on my views of his defensive abilities and suitability to play in or defence over a sustained run of games.

Rest of that match he didn't really have much to do because of a 12 out of 10 performance from Cashin.

Cashin and Stearman were the highlights. And when we were on top, lots of attractive football. The move that led to Collins’ chance was beautiful. But we needed to change our shape in the second half but didn’t - shades of last season and that’ll really hurt us away from home. Again. Not seeing enough telepathy on the pitch - especially up front -  but it’s early days