Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

No Smith is a clever footballer not a tough one. 

Well-regarded at Bristol City and I think, in time, a good acquisition.

He, like many others, needs games under his belt.

Im not saying he isnt 

but hes a grafter.. a link player, a water carrier and trust me as someone who played this role for 10-15 years im Not understating its importance

hes not a goalscorer , hes not really a creator but hes what every successful side needs

i think he will get better, sharper and fitter with time but im not expecting anything more of him than what he is

We played well and thought we deserved the win. 

Also, that last 20 minutes will have done us more good than harm. 

Let’s go and follow that up with a win on Tuesday away from home. We can go from strength to strength but we need to do it as a club, players and supporters. 

The disquieting thing in Rosenior's Radio Derby interview was that he's making decisions based on reputation. Paraphrasing, it was something like:

What can I do? Sibley deserved his chance and took it and played well, but the problem is I have Korey Smith sitting on the bench and he's one of the best midfielders in the league, so I had to bring him on. 

This is all wrong and you got the feeling Rosenior might have realized it was an error of judgement. He got away with it. Hopefully he'll learn from it.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The disquieting thing in Rosenior's Radio Derby interview was that he's making decisions based on reputation. Paraphrasing, it was something like:

What can I do? Sibley deserved his chance and took it and played well, but the problem is I have Korey Smith sitting on the bench and he's one of the best midfielders in the league, so I had to bring him on. 

This is all wrong and you got the feeling Rosenior might have realized it was an error of judgement. He got away with it. Hopefully he'll learn from it.

I heard that, but certainly didn’t interpret what he said in that negative way. I think you might be over analysing things a bit and looking for ‘issues’ that really aren’t there. Sorry. 

Geez, just got back and a quick skim through this thread you'd think we'd lost.

First thing of note was, it was hot - and not just hot, but HOT!  Running out of steam in the second half was a gimme imho.  We still need time to gel and learn to knock it about more to kill games, whereas we lost the initiative again and looked knackered.  So good win all considered, 3 pts in the bag and we move on. 

Cashin was a monster today, anything on Davies?

Wildsmith - did nothing wrong 

knight - perfectly good enough at right back but we needed him in midfield 

stearman - good job he played midweek 

cashin - MOM by a country mile 

Roberts - far to many risks taken at the back, not better than Forsyth yet 

Bird - I didn’t notice him a great deal today but heavily outnumbered 

houriahan - decent first half invisable second half 

Sibley - did fine the first half 

mendiz Lang - didn’t look like was going to to do much running today and didn’t seem too either but a well taken goal 

Barkhauzen - works hard for the team 

collins - should have scored one but he is in the right places 

sub - smith - not seeing a great deal in a progressive sense and we lacked offensive players when he came on 

Barnsley deserved a draw but we put encouragement on a plate and we look shattered after half time again and sure it was very hot but it was just as hot for them!

great 3 points 

Edited by Sparkle

Just now, maxjam said:

Geez, just got back and a quick skim through this thread you'd think we'd lost.

First thing of note was, it was hot - and not just hot, but HOT!  Running out of steam in the second half was a gimme imho.  We still need time to gel and learn to knock it about more to kill games, whereas we lost the initiative again and looked knackered.  So good win all considered, 3 pts in the bag and we move on. 

Cashin was a monster today, anything on Davies?

Yea but for some people, players need to be more like robots where you can just charge them up, programme them and away you go. 

We seemed just to sit back in the second half.  They wanted the ball more especially after their goal. NML, just seemed to lack energy in the second half, but you couldn’t fault how he took his goal.  Cashin was my MOTM.  His passing forward was better today taking more chances, and his touch was good, and on occasion excellent.  I think we missed Curtiss today to lead the troops.  Collins miss was bad, but it’s the sort of thing that happens when you need a brekthrough.  Not sure why the Sibley change, perhaps he thought he needed to freshen things up or he was struggling?

Huge win, the teams who tend to do well in any league are the ones who can dig in and grind out results. There will plenty of games this season where we will have to dig in like we did 2nd half. We played better vs Charlton and came away with nothing so we have to find different ways to win. Plus we scored from a corner!!!

1st half we played some good stuff, 2nd half we had nothing in midfield and that was both before & after Sibley came off. I can see why Smith got brought on, although I did hope we would see McGoldrick come on. 

Shame Collins didnt take his chance again but it will come soon, he is getting in the right positions. His overall play is still impressive imo, his & Sibley's press 1st half was brilliant at times and lead to the 2nd goal.

I said before the game that in the heat we had to make the ball do all the hardwork/running, 2nd half we didnt keep it well enough to relieve the pressure.

Barnsley will be top end this season and we were the better team by far overall and a lucky goal got them back into the match. 

We're only going to get better as players get fitter, new players come in & we understand each others games more.

Final words go to 1 young man....Eiran Cashin = immense!

Just got back from the game and am sitting in a bucket of ice.

Main plus point was that we held on for a win even though we were pretty much battered for the last 20 odd minutes.

Lack of fitness really showed and Barnsley really upped their game in the 2nd half. Not sure why they decided to leave it so long before they tried to play some football rather than playing the long ball game.  I had a feeling at half time they weren’t out of it !

Cashin was MOTM by a mile ! So pleased we have kept him (so far)

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Have to agree with this,it's nonsense what Rosenior said in respect of smith and Sibley.....

And to be honest,we very nearly ended up with a draw as a result of the change.

Enjoyable performance first half tho,they couldn't handle us at all.

And a wins a win,I'll definitely take that one 

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Have to agree with this,it's nonsense what Rosenior said in respect of smith and Sibley.....

And to be honest,we very nearly ended up with a draw as a result of the change.

Enjoyable performance first half tho,they couldn't handle us at all.

And a wins a win,I'll definitely take that one 

The change had no impact either way, we didnt get any better or worse with Sibley off and Smith on. 

Based on where we are in terms of the rebuild, having 6 points on the board after 3 games is a big deal. We've found ways to win and grind it out and put those wins in the context of Charlton, when we looked unbelievable in the first half. That's the side I hope we will become, whilst also having the right character to win when not playing sexy football.

I think this all bodes well as I think we'll only improve.

Long old season, if we can keep picking up points in difficult games we will be at the right end of the table at the end of the season.

I'm encouraged.

1 hour ago, DerbyRam! said:

How bad was the Cashin tackle? Didnt see it. Should we have been playing with 10 men?

It would have been bad if it wasn’t for dive and then the ponce rolling around like he was on a hill in a barrel race. A disgraceful decision.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Would love to know why that Barnsley player who rolled round for 5 minutes with a trainer then didn’t have to go off to come back on. Even after Hourihane pointed it out to the ref. Utterly bizarre league one refs are. 

I was having a rant about this, then a chap further down the row told everyone that apparently there’s been a rule change whereby if there is a yellow card involved then the injured player doesn’t need to go off. Not checked out if that’s true, but was news to me if so (and seemingly the players and Liam!).  It’s a nonsense rule and the change, if true, seems equally daft and random. 

Edited by LazloW

Just now, LazloW said:

I was having a rant about this, then a chap further down the row told everyone that apparently there’s been a rule change whereby if there is a yellow card involved then the injured player doesn’t need to go off. Not checked out if that’s true, but was news to me if so (and seemingly the players and Liam!).  It’s a nonsense rule and the change, if true, seems equally daft.

Well that’s new. Wish they’d publicise this.