Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

After a successful trip to Mansfield, we return to League 1 football against a Barnsley side who have won just 1 away game since April 2021.

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Davies   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Roberts

Mendez-Laing   Sibley   Barkhuizen

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Forsyth, Tommo, Smith, Dobbin, McGoldrick

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

After a successful trip to Mansfield, we return to League 1 football against a Barnsley side who have won just 1 away game since April 2021.

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Davies   Cashin

Collins

Why did you have to say that!

I think @Ghost of Cloughhas Rosenior's team there. I would go:

Wildsmith

Smith     Davies     Cashin     Roberts

Bird

Mendez-Laing   Knight    Sibley    Hourihane

Collins

Subs: Loach Oduroh Forsyth Rooney McGoldrick Barkhuizen Dobbin

with a very fluid midfield and attack, lots of rotation between them all. And a fearsome bench to give us lots of options. Just as Sibley has absolutely earnt a starting place, I think Rooney deserves the subs' shirt ahead of Thommo following his Mansfield performance.

I really don't want to play Knight right back at all. But he won't play Smith there.

And from what I'm reading from people who went to Mansfield, Oduroh isn't ready yet.

Sibley has come off the bench twice and had an impact plus he's played well in the game yesterday so I'd imagine he's earnt a start.

Wildsmith

Knight. Davies. Cashin. Roberts

Bird

Hourihane Sibley

NML.     Collins.   Barkhuizen 

Derby 3-0.

Collins will score twice

12 hours ago, Srg said:

Really not looking forward to these temperatures on Saturday. Was grim enough last home game. 

went to the cricket last time it was really hot. My mate soaked his y fronts in water, put them in the freezer overnight, then put them on under his shorts before we left for the game. Tip he got from women’s hour but the water was his idea. He said at first they were rigid so a bit scratchy - he blamed his shoes but he was walking oddly plus he said his willy was numb. Then they quickly got soggy. He claimed it was a brilliant idea but as they melted if looked from the front like he’d peed himself, worse from the back and at one stage it looked like the security guys on the gate weren’t going to let him in . He’s still walking pretty strangely and has some sort of fungal rash.
Anyway you could give that a go ?

Edited by kevinhectoring

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Davies   Cashin

Collins

Totally agree this needs to be the side. 

When this side clicks, it will seriously burn some teams in this Division. A proper full-back needed, light the touch- paper and stand back.

A key issue is McGoldrick is now fit so who drops out to accommodate him? Also Sibley? Barkhuizen’s berth must be at threat but I think Barks will be a regular scorer ….

Very nice selection issues to have.

4AEBB13D-C5AA-429A-BC4D-D59477E1FA9B.png

12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Sibley has come off the bench twice and had an impact plus he's played well in the game yesterday so I'd imagine he's earnt a start.

There’s a chance sibley will really benefit from our relegation. A season at a slightly slower pace, he might really come on so he can shine at a higher level. (My son said wryly when he scored that hat trick  - that might be the worse thing that ever happens to him ... )

Folk seem keen to play Smith at RB, but as far as I can see, he's only played 18 times in that position, and never more than 5 times in a season. He's not exactly made the position his own, and currently doesn't seem to have the energy required to play there for 90 minutes. 

I can understand the eagerness to see Knight play in his best position, but we need to be careful that we aren't just moving the problem around.