Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed he wasn't great but he wasn't the reason we lost.

Pretty poor performance but I've seen worse. Undone by a lack of goal threat (again), a blunder from Buchanan (I hope he doesn't get totally crucified by the fans. It was a bad back pass but hardly unknown in the Championship) and unlucky that the tackle from Sibley fell to their player.

His name isn't Forsyth so he'll avoid getting too much stick.

3 minutes ago, Beetle said:

Mistake by Buchanan and a lucky deflection pass gives them the goals.

I thought it was good to see a bit of fight in Lawrence.

Another day we would not have lost but we need to be more of a threat.

I still think with this squad, if we are not adrift and Bielik gets fit this year we'll stay up.

If Bielik plays tonight we win.

Generally agree although Lawrence was lucky to still be on the pitch. The captain needs to show passion but not the type he was showing tonight.

Even though we started the season ok tonight was a reality check offered nothing going forward gifted goals away like always…. Just so depressing supporting Derby at the minute, doesn’t feel enjoyable anymore more like a bloody chore! Just wish we’d sort the points deduction out sort a take over and start again. Just football none of this off the field rubbish 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Birmingham "pressed higher than in any other game this season" because they've seen our matches and know we will likely gift them a goal or two as a result. The thing Rooney needs to realize and sharpish is that every team will do the same this season. He's very stubborn and you watch today's game and think, if we continue to play this way, we will be relegated.

We need points sharpish. And to get over this sharpish.

I never thought I would say this, but thank goodness for Ravel Morrison. He was the daddy in our team of boys versus men tonight. We are the side in which he will get the responsibility to demonstrate whether he has it or not. Not a brilliant game but decent. He stood up and never shirked, driving us forward and not taking it from the opposition or the ref. Shame he didn't have more composure for that shooting chance from distance.

Disappointed with Sibley at the moment, but the team shape and his position doesn't suit him. Of course the second goal isn't all on him, but I'd say 40%, which is still significant. He can see the Brummie forward alone on the edge of our box, but still makes the tackle to send the ball that way. You have to be smarter than that.

I really like the look of Stretton, but this is a tough team to come into at the moment.

Our players had no protection at all from the referee, which was terrible, and having played in games like that I know how it leads to frustration. But again you have to be smarter than Lawrence, who was very lucky to leave the field as a sub instead of seeing red. Maybe as skipper he felt he needed to protest to the ref and try to protect his lads, but he didn't do it the right way.

Great to see Jason Knight back on the field.

But a game that could point to a long hard season unless we can change it quickly and go on a run.

Edited by Carl Sagan

Just now, Topram said:

Even though we started the season ok tonight was a reality check offered nothing going forward gifted goals away like always…. Just so depressing supporting Derby at the minute, doesn’t feel enjoyable anymore more like a bloody chore! Just wish we’d sort the points deduction out sort a take over and start again. Just football none of this off the field rubbish 

We still need to score goals and that’s hard for us currently 

6 minutes ago, Beetle said:

Mistake by Buchanan and a lucky deflection pass gives them the goals.

I thought it was good to see a bit of fight in Lawrence.

Another day we would not have lost but we need to be more of a threat.

I still think with this squad, if we are not adrift and Bielik gets fit this year we'll stay up.

If Bielik plays tonight we win.

Cloud cuckoo mate.

We created once, and then baldock lets the ball go wider instead of taking one touch and being more direct.

We are awful attacking wise - and Bielik won’t change that.

We are where we are. Things seem to conspire against us. Birmingham were cynical, crafty and to a degree thuggish. We were constantly pulled back if we broke the line and had little help from the ref.

On a side note how pleased am I that we didn't give Deeny a kick. What a shame for sky! One last thing UTR

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

I'm sick of the play from the back. Use the keeper approach. Derby should play an American football approach .. make up yardage . The play from the back reminds me of old United . Derby are not the old United .. they are not as confidant .. I hated cocu for this reason and I thought Rooney would be different (though I never had much faith in Rooney from the start. Derby need to keep the ball further away from the keeper. Make them work to get into shooting range . It is the most idiotic approach to a non established .. struggling team 

I feel sorry for those of you who have sky sports, having to listen to that load of inane drivel and eulogising over the ordinary bang average crap from both teams. 

Birmingham were well organised at the back, pressed us well and had someone who could take a long throw. Listening to Sky you’d think we had been watching The Dutch in 1974.

’Do you think Rooney will be disappointed?’….Jesus wept.

Sky TV is fu…..

(And so are we)

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

image.png.5b5a8114039f897833100713ffedf88b.png

Now doesn’t that sum it up nicely Roy.

For all the tippy tippy possession, we’re seemingly having to work our socks off, trying to create clear cut chances, because we seem to want to pass it in, whereas the opposition take pot shots(mostly toothless) but we gift them a goal. 

Yes Brum were physical and the ref pathetic, but it still looked like we lack the quality to play out from the back and no tangible goal threat in the final third today.

There were moments in the first half where we looked half decent, but not enough. After that it was men against boys. 

A mistake and a bit of bad luck gave Brum the goals but they were tougher and stronger than us. Didn’t stop pressing all night. , we never really looked like getting an equaliser or even a consolation.

Down in the dumps, it’s not hopeless but it isn’t good, it isn’t good at all 

29 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Terrible performance with hardly any threat going forward and silly mistakes again at the back.

But anyone that says the ref didn't influence the game by letting them get away with foul after foul every time we tried to get forward, didn't watch the game. 

Well said Ossie . I can't stand some of our fans who are clearly loving this . I wish David would introduce a block button so I wouldn't have to see what the idiots post. ?