Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

Just now, Ramarena said:

We played some nice stuff at times and we are clearly ahead of them technically, but it was all just window dressing in the end.

They had their tactics spot on and shut us down, very physical and direct when needed. They let us play it around where they wanted us to. 

We only really threatened them when Deeney came on allowing Morrison to find some space to get us moving again. 

As I was worried about we are far to easy to shut down, which would be too bad if we had an alternative idea…..sadly we don’t.

Every team this season has worked it out eventually. 

We’re going to be right in the poo when teams stop us from the start of games, unless we can find a work around soon.

I don’t think many teams will be as effective as Birmingham at enacting that game plan. 

16 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

As a captain though it's not just his performance,the last thing you need your captain doing is losing his head.

Also I don't think people criticising Lawrence are forgetting how he played against Forest, unfairly making him a scapegoat, or whatever. The fact is Lawrence, like Sibley, looks good if he gets space to run and shoot. In games like this, when better teams press and don't give us that space, Lawrence (like Sibley) often looks bad. They both make bad decisions and Sibley in particular seems to have a poor first touch. They both also have a tendency to get frustrated, make even worse decisions, and risk getting sent off. I've been a big supporter/defender of Lawrence over the years but in games like this he doesn't offer very much. He gets singled out by some because when he plays in a game that suits him he can look so good that it's easy to forget he can be (and often is) completely nullified. That's not necessarily his fault - he's just got his limitations 

Edited by vonwright

The scoreline tonight was;

Birmingham 0 Derby -2

Sky drooling over Birmingham, like they played like Man City.  I can't remember 1 incident where they created a goal scoring opportunity, whereas we did actually create 2 or 3 good chances, but overall a poor performance with poor tactics.

First half before the goal we looked a class above. The goal knocked the confidence out of us.   I’d say let’s go again, but teams will see this and every game will be high press now against us.  
we need to mix it up, trouble is, we don’t have the players.

let’s hope we cut out the cheap mistakes and gain a few points.