Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

Just now, ossieram said:

I have never put another poster on ignore, but there are some who's comments I take with a pinch of salt or skip by without reading. 

I’m sure we all do 

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disappointed with Sibley at the moment, but the team shape and his position doesn't suit him. Of course the second goal isn't all on him, but I'd say 40%, which is still significant. He can see the Brummie forward alone on the edge of our box, but still makes the tackle to send the ball that way. You have to be smarter than that.

Agree with the majority of your post. Sibley was poor tonight, but I completely disagree about it being 40% Sibley’s fault. He was trying to get back, stuck a leg out. Unfortunately it went straight to their man. Never his fault though. Crazy statement. 
Everything else, I agree.

Toothless performance.

I don’t mind the playing out from the back. The first 20-25mins we looked ok, without creating anything. I’d persevere, but as Wayne says mix it every now and again. I’d rather be brave than revert to the safety first tripe we saw from Feb onwards last season. But it has to have an end product. Tonight there was nothing. 

Lawrence is such a difficult player to like. I want to like him, but he makes it so hard. He’s never captain material. Petulant. Pathetic. Childish. I can’t stand those types. Awful pass for their 2nd goal. Has to do more. 

Bird tried to play, showed some nice touches. Sibley has to be stronger. Isn’t a wide man, but didn’t receive the ball when central much either. Has gone backwards massively since Cocu left. Worrying. 

We’re in big trouble with this squad. No way can we keep any level of performance up with the run of games coming up. It’s an impossible situation. I feel for Rooney as he’s trying to do the right things with nothing at his disposal.

I still can't see any of the inherent qualities of a captain being present within Lawrence, I'm assuming that the rationale behind this decision was that Lawrence might start to mature and respond given the newfound responsibility of being the captain but I don't think he has any idea of the components needed to be a captain - leading by example, being a role model being two of them. 

Just now, Mr Tibbs said:

Thought the same whilst watching Buchanan tonight too.

Have any of our players progressed in this timeframe actually? 

Unfortunately not. Although I think Bird is getting back to his better performances. Confidence is a big thing in football. Hopefully it isn’t knocked out of Bird if we suffer some negative results.

I wish we had the Sibley of Cocu’s first season.  He was so exciting. I’m not sure he’s been handled very well. Almost as if they’re coaching him out of his natural game to be something else. 

22 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Brum deserved to win the game, but was that the german ref from Wednesday ?

The ref didn't give us much admittedly.

But the worst decision he made all night was when Morrison lost the ball, handballed it to stop the bloke running through and the ref gave a free kick to us.

Morrison had already been booked and it was about one of the most obvious yellow cards you'll see. 

So we were lucky he was incompetent then too.

2 minutes ago, enachops said:

I wish we had the Sibley of Cocu’s first season.  He was so exciting. I’m not sure he’s been handled very well. Almost as if they’re coaching him out of his natural game to be something else. 

You don't think the players we had made a difference to how he played? 

I think tonight encapsulated all of the concerns surrounding Rooney and the team.

It would be easy to be very critical after such a flat and disappointing performance, but it was only weeks ago that people were claiming that Jagielka was the signing of the summer and there were green shoots appearing.

For me, we have to see how results and performances trend over the next 10-15 games. If the quality of performance is similar to tonight’s, that will be beyond concerning.

What worries me is that we haven’t played anyone particularly good yet, but we are still showing major frailties and finding ways to implode.

If Birmingham were a quality side, tonight wouldn’t be much of a concern. But to be honest, it was a game where quality was extremely sparse.

The difference between the two sides was that Birmingham were well drilled, organised, and set up with a good tactical plan to exploit our weaknesses.

You can understand why we’ve only won 1 in 6.

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

But the worst decision he made all night was when Morrison lost the ball, handballed it to stop the bloke running through and the ref gave a free kick to us.

Morrison had already been booked and it was about one of the most obvious yellow cards you'll see. 

After it went 2 nil, he gave us everything. I agree Morrison should have had a straight red. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Agreed. Did us a favour(maybe) not sending Lawrence off also. Either the kick out or elbow...

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep. I agree. But that exuberance has gone. I don’t think Rooney handled him well at all last season. He should have been our key to safety. Rooney messed his confidence up and I don’t think he’s regained that. Play to his strengths. We haven’t since Cocu. He could be worth millions or an average champ player. I think he has amazing potential. It’s a shame we’re not unlocking that. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Team in played in v Blackburn March 2020.

Hamer, Bogle, Wisdom, Clarke, Forsyth, Bird,Shinnie, Waghorn, Sibley, Knight, Martin.

Effectively a free role behind Martin.

Edited by BondJovi