Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

We have had a pretty easy start to the season and have 1 win in 6. Tough games coming up, points deduction hanging over us...going to be a long old season. 

Never really looked like scoring. Attitude seemed ok but can't help worrying that if confidence and performances do dip we are in such huge trouble. 

Sibley, Lawrence, Baldock, Shinnie, Bird...offered next to nothing going forward. Morrison best of a bad bunch attack-wise which is concerning. 

Thought Buchanan was decent other than his mistake. Really think it's going to be a huge grind this season at best and abject relegation at worst.

Over riding emotion is that it's all very well playing some nice intricate tidy football but when it's all on the edge of your own box with no chances created from the massive risk you are taking, it seems a really bizaare tactic. 

The nice intricate football probably looks great on the training pitch but when we come up against bruisers in the match who don't give us time to play like that it counts for nothing on a matchday. We don't or can't play any other way and the opposition just wait to pick us off as soon as we get in their half.They then go on the counter and we are left scrambling to get back. Then again i could be totally wrong.

19 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

We all know Rooney has had it difficult but watching last nights game i think we'd be in a better position if we had lee bowyer. He's worked magic with two clubs that were a complete mess. The football might not be pretty but he has got results at charlton & now at birmingham. Fair play to him

Weren't Charlton relegated under Bowyer? 

Can't deny he's doing a good job at Birmingham so far, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. 

39 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They were relegated under circumstances not unlike ours. Lost a lot of players and couldn't sign any.

So, like the situation Rooney faces but Rooney will be written off/has been written off by many. We’ll never know of course but I wonder how Charlton and Bowyer would have got on if he’d stayed there.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think tonight encapsulated all of the concerns surrounding Rooney and the team.

It would be easy to be very critical after such a flat and disappointing performance, but it was only weeks ago that people were claiming that Jagielka was the signing of the summer and there were green shoots appearing.

For me, we have to see how results and performances trend over the next 10-15 games. If the quality of performance is similar to tonight’s, that will be beyond concerning.

What worries me is that we haven’t played anyone particularly good yet, but we are still showing major frailties and finding ways to implode.

If Birmingham were a quality side, tonight wouldn’t be much of a concern. But to be honest, it was a game where quality was extremely sparse.

The difference between the two sides was that Birmingham were well drilled, organised, and set up with a good tactical plan to exploit our weaknesses.

You can understand why we’ve only won 1 in 6.

Agree with all of this, but the difference with Birmingham was they had Hogan and Jut...ski and brough Deeny on. We could do with 1 out of the 3. Going to be a long season and our main (only?) hope is Bielik to get back quickly and boss games like he did before his injury

9 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

For a team that struggles to score goals tonight is probably the 1st game this season we havent created anything and only the 2nd game put of 8 that we havent scored in. Also, for a team that struggles with crosses, long balls & long throws we dealt with it again pretty well tonight against 1 of the most effective teams who play that way. Think other than Salford which was men vs boys the only set piece goal we have conceded was vs Huddersfield?

? We had as many shots on target as they did. We had more of the possession and they committed 19 fouls to our 9 according to the Beeb. So we are trying but again the few chances we had weren't taken. I reckon it would have stayed 0-0 but for our two errors. Lack of real goal threat made it difficult last season and is more evident this. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

? We had as many shots on target as they did. We had more of the possession and they committed 19 fouls to our 9 according to the Beeb. So we are trying but again the few chances we had weren't taken. I reckon it would have stayed 0-0 but for our two errors. Lack of real goal threat made it difficult last season and is more evident this. ?

Really?  They were miles better than us. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Agree with everything u say … but its a recurring pattern since cocu was in charge… how many times to we create little and give away two soft goals 

my pet hate in football is conceding cheap avoidable goals and we are and have been since he came here the undisputed kings of it

how many goals in the last 3 seasons have we conceded goals when 5 -10 seconds before we had safe possession of the ball before needless over playing and the ball is in the back of our net

i applaud the bravery the lads are showing in trying to do it and i know i cant then moan when it goes wrong but truth be told id rather we just cleared our lines and let them male the mistakes in their half  

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Positives: regardless of how other results go this weekend, we still won’t be in the bottom three and we’ll be above Forest.

Negatives, West Brom and Stoke up next.

?

Yer not really picked me up truth be told 

last night empasised how hamstrung we are in a lot of ways… not least the bench 

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Sibley shooting (or any of our players come to think of it) didn't look like changing the score line let alone the result. As for the sandwich, I'm not convinced it was a foul and even if it was he still had a way to go before being a threat on goal.

What about when Morrision hauled down their player (not far outside the penalty area I seem to recall) and yet somehow managed to get the foul?

The incidents you mention were only two during a dire performance from Derby and MAY have changed the result but I can't help but doubt it.

You have referenced about the only incident the ref got wrong in our favour. Sky were all over it of course! And yes, those Sibley incidents might not have led to a goal, but we’ll never know, will we? It would be nice to have the chance.

It is worth noting the foul comoetition, which Birmingham one comfortably, even though loads if their fouls weren’t even included in the count. But we managed to snatch the most yellow cards, though! And that is the pattern for most matches, going back several seasons.

Bur we ended up losing because if our “Barca at the back” fixation. Bowyer spotted it and adapted the team to take advantage. We didn't adapt, to our cost.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Bur we ended up losing because if our “Barca at the back” fixation. Bowyer spotted it and adapted the team to take advantage. We didn't adapt, to our cost.

Was that to blame for the goals or were errors. Don't you think errors will happen however we play, and not scoring or being more of a goal threat is the major problem?

10 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree with everything u say … but its a recurring pattern since cocu was in charge… how many times to we create little and give away two soft goals 

my pet hate in football is conceding cheap avoidable goals and we are and have been since he came here the undisputed kings of it

how many goals in the last 3 seasons have we conceded goals when 5 -10 seconds before we had safe possession of the ball before needless over playing and the ball is in the back of our net

i applaud the bravery the lads are showing in trying to do it and i know i cant then moan when it goes wrong but truth be told id rather we just cleared our lines and let them male the mistakes in their half  

We'd just make other mistakes. Didn't Birmingham make any? We just don't have the threat up front to make the opposition worry enough about us. Baldock is better than no-one but 1st half he was through in the box close to 6 yards out, and he didn't shoot.

Would you rather we set up (not that we have the players) to play like Birmingham?

We moan when we play Rowettball, we moan when we play intricate passes (which tbf does look kamikaze in our situation) we moan at the team shape,  we moan when we don't have width, we moan when our wingbacks are too high up the pitch, we moan .

We also will always be saved when (insert name of your choice for last ten years) returns from long term injury. 

BTW we also used to moan that wanchope was too unpredictable,  sturridge was mardy and we lack a dominant creative midfield player. 

Further back Hinton needed replacing and Gemmill didn't score enough goals.  

Rooney and the academy products are just about the best things we could have in our current situation , so cut out the moaning and get behind what we have .