Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

First half before the goal we looked a class above. The goal knocked the confidence out of us.   I’d say let’s go again, but teams will see this and every game will be high press now against us.  
we need to mix it up, trouble is, we don’t have the players.

let’s hope we cut out the cheap mistakes and gain a few points.

We can’t score, doesn’t matter how good we look the opposition will always score more, so they are always in the game and they know it. 

Wrist slashers out in full force again.

Their two goals came from luck. The first a poor back pass, well saved by Roos who then saved the second but it fell to Hogan. The second, a lucky ricochet with a good finish.

We looked the more threatening going forward. Lawrence had two good attempts saved, which I actually think he should have done better with. The first especially as that was a neat passage of play with a poor finish at the end. 

Brum were hard to break down. But so were we. 

Special shout out to the ref who managed to give us 16+ free kicks and still went easy on Brum. Joke officiating again, least it didn't cost us a goal this time.

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

It isn’t his fault that Birmingham have scored but he failed to play advantage when Sibley was about to shoot, and doesn’t think two players sandwiching Sibley without touching the ball isn’t a foul - and a great flowing move was halted.

That may well have changed the result.

Sibley shooting (or any of our players come to think of it) didn't look like changing the score line let alone the result. As for the sandwich, I'm not convinced it was a foul and even if it was he still had a way to go before being a threat on goal.

What about when Morrision hauled down their player (not far outside the penalty area I seem to recall) and yet somehow managed to get the foul?

The incidents you mention were only two during a dire performance from Derby and MAY have changed the result but I can't help but doubt it.

Roos - did ok 

Byrne - not attacking much and not the best defender 

jagelka - did ok 

Davies - did ok 

Buchanan - huge blunder but did ok in the rest of the game 

Shinnie - the ball wasn’t used in midfield and someone had to get subbed 

Bird - occasionally a good pass but doesn’t show for the ball anywhere near enough for central midfield 

Morrison - disappointing tonight for me, outpaced frequently and negative

sibley - not involved much but needs to play central 

lawrence - the only one who looks likely to score but utterly brainless take the captaincy off him 

Baldock - not really involved 

subs - Stretton makes good runs but no one can pass through the lines to him 

knight - glad he is back we will need him he is our best central midfielder when he is actually played there ! 

Game wise Birmingham never play actual football - like many in this league - we need to score our chances and keep Lawrence away from free kicks he is useless with them.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Sibley shooting (or any of our players come to think of it) didn't look like changing the score line let alone the result. As for the sandwich, I'm not convinced it was a foul and even if it was he still had a way to go before being a threat on goal.

What about when Morrision hauled down their player (not far outside the penalty area I seem to recall) and yet somehow managed to get the foul?

The incidents you mention were only two during a dire performance from Derby and MAY have changed the result but I can't help but doubt it.

The ref was bad but in the second half at least he was bad for both teams.

No surprises, really. I predicted three or four before the game, so I should be fairly content with just the two. It's just where we are as a team.

Birmingham set up perfectly, despite having 60% of the possession in the first half, they were camped in our half. They played a high line, safe in the knowledge that we had no reply. We duly played into their hands with the first, but we had more than a few moments where it could've been much worse.

We knew that we would have games like this as the season goes on and I'm sure there will be plenty more losses on the way, with the next heavy defeat coming Tuesday, so the emphasis for me is to enjoy the moments when we aren't as crap & celebrating Mel paying bills. 

3 minutes ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

Wrist slashers out in full force again.

Their two goals came from luck. The first a poor back pass, well saved by Roos who then saved the second but it fell to Hogan. The second, a lucky ricochet with a good finish.

We looked the more threatening going forward. Lawrence had two good attempts saved, which I actually think he should have done better with. The first especially as that was a neat passage of play with a poor finish at the end. 

Brum were hard to break down. But so were we. 

Special shout out to the ref who managed to give us 16+ free kicks and still went easy on Brum. Joke officiating again, least it didn't cost us a goal this time.

Maybe it is karma for the 4-0 last season when everything that could, went our way.

Edited by BondJovi

1 minute ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Nope agree but that was always going to be the case with the players we have and signed.

And that’s the problem.

Rooney is having a go at trying to get us to play like Man City with 39 year olds and free signings. It makes no difference to him.

Just now, Gritstone Ram said:

Out of our defenders probably Jagielka can play out from the back. Davies no he can’t Byrne no he can’t Buchanan no no no!! Not good enough. Rooney needs to look at the players he’s got and play to their strengths not trying to shoe horn them into a style they’re not capable of playing.

To he honest Rooney can't win. He plays this football and we lose, people say he should play to the players strengths. We play a more effective type of football and fans complain it's boring. At the end of the day I just want to see the team win. Thanks to Mel and the off field crap it's going to be another tough season. We need points.

Really quite concerned about this season more, last season we stayed up by grace of going Infront in a number of games then not conceding but when we did go behind we invariably got nothing from the game.

This season we can't seem to keep a clean sheet to be able to allow us to do that. I can't see our attacking potency increasing significantly if Rooney's gameplan is to fanny around the back with the ball inviting pressure on us.