Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

2 minutes ago, enachops said:

Yep. I agree. But that exuberance has gone. I don’t think Rooney handled him well at all last season. He should have been our key to safety. Rooney messed his confidence up and I don’t think he’s regained that. Play to his strengths. We haven’t since Cocu. He could be worth millions or an average champ player. I think he has amazing potential. It’s a shame we’re not unlocking that. 

His basic ball control looks poor. His decision making is iffy and he's easy to knock off the ball. Why is that Rooney's fault?

23 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Thought the same whilst watching Buchanan tonight too.

Have any of our players progressed in this timeframe actually? 

I could've sworn they'd gone backwards during the first dozen games of last season. I don't think you can lay all the blame at Rooney's door. 

For a team that struggles to score goals tonight is probably the 1st game this season we havent created anything and only the 2nd game put of 8 that we havent scored in. Also, for a team that struggles with crosses, long balls & long throws we dealt with it again pretty well tonight against 1 of the most effective teams who play that way. Think other than Salford which was men vs boys the only set piece goal we have conceded was vs Huddersfield?

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Fully expecting Lawrence to get a restrospective punishment for the elbow although I feel it was accidental, every player raises their arms/elbows when jumping for a header

Can't say I'd be disappointed if he was out for 3 games.

I much prefer us without him in the team.

I actually like us playing out the back. I’m not particularly nervous when we do it. Our problem is the midfield play it back once it’s out. We’re not quick enough in transition from the midfield through the lines to the forward players. Obviously, if we could do that, we’d be a different proposition. It wasn’t helped tonight by constant little fouls and pulls on our players when we did break the lines. That’s a lack of physicality on our side too. 

The alternative is  to hit it down the channels or straight down the middle. Normally means a turnover of possession very quickly. 

I hope we don’t give up on our style too quickly. 

1 hour ago, enachops said:

Agree with the majority of your post. Sibley was poor tonight, but I completely disagree about it being 40% Sibley’s fault. He was trying to get back, stuck a leg out. Unfortunately it went straight to their man. Never his fault though. Crazy statement. 
Everything else, I agree.

I get what you're saying and have some sympathy, but I made the Sibley point because I'm normally one of his strongest supporters. And that's because I think he has the potential to be a real star of the game. But if he's going to that, he's got to have more awareness about what's going on across the whole pitch, not just the small area around him. Yes he was getting back to break up the attack and put a foot in, but he played the ball in the direction he was facing straight to a forward in acres of space on the edge of our box. A top quality player would see not to do that. They'd deflect the ball differently, or recognize the danger and simply try to hold up the attack instead. But that's why I only put it at 40%!

haven’t read the rest of the thread yet but here’s my ten penneth for what it’s worth ....although ive criticised Rooney in the past there was evidence of some really good play and rotation of position and some lovely neat interchanges

we desperately lack a striker and I don’t think Stretton is yet the answer and Baldock makes good runs but in the first half showed why he’s not exactly prolific when he passed rather than shoot when in the box 

saying all that we lost to a Brum team who look a solid championship side who are defensively solid with good championship defenders 

now the negative part regarding Rooney ..... I just don’t get it how Lawrence is captain and tonight I thought he was very poor and was to blame for the second goal but it’s his attitude that riles me ...he is not captain material and to be honest think we are better off getting a few quid for him and using it when we are permitted to get a couple of players in ....tonight I thought Lawrence was petulant and lucky not to get another yellow card .

for the life of me I cannot understand the decision to give him the armband also in our current predicament I’d play him as a striker or not at all ...just my thoughts 

2 hours ago, enachops said:

Toothless performance.

I don’t mind the playing out from the back. The first 20-25mins we looked ok, without creating anything. I’d persevere, but as Wayne says mix it every now and again. I’d rather be brave than revert to the safety first tripe we saw from Feb onwards last season. But it has to have an end product. Tonight there was nothing. 

Lawrence is such a difficult player to like. I want to like him, but he makes it so hard. He’s never captain material. Petulant. Pathetic. Childish. I can’t stand those types. Awful pass for their 2nd goal. Has to do more. 

Bird tried to play, showed some nice touches. Sibley has to be stronger. Isn’t a wide man, but didn’t receive the ball when central much either. Has gone backwards massively since Cocu left. Worrying. 

We’re in big trouble with this squad. No way can we keep any level of performance up with the run of games coming up. It’s an impossible situation. I feel for Rooney as he’s trying to do the right things with nothing at his disposal.

I was going to write what I thought about the match tonight, but there is no point because this is exactly It… thanks for saving me 5 minutes. 

59 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Problem with coming back late and then reading the 30 odd pages is that pretty much everything has already been said and yet I feel compelled to post something..

I found the match quite painful to watch.

The closure on the A38 felt like it was just for me.

KFC had no gravy AGAIN !!!

Just watched the first half on the TV. 
Without all the stress involved and the luxury of seeing the whole pitch/play, I think we played OK at times and were trying to play some nice football.  At the time it seemed the fannying around the back seemed more of a problem.

Also, it looks to me like Buchanan was passing the ball back to Curtis, but as Curtis was pointing at Roos ( without enough awareness of what’s behind him) he lets it go past him rather than gather it.  Harsh to blame LB I think. 

Just seen the Birmingham pre match with Rooney on RAMS TV.  Most of it was talking to some twit about Ronaldo playing up front with Cavani.  As we're looking for players in skips to try and get a shot on target,  do we give a poo .   These sorts of questions should be fielded out prior. Very unprofessional.

We have had a pretty easy start to the season and have 1 win in 6. Tough games coming up, points deduction hanging over us...going to be a long old season. 

Never really looked like scoring. Attitude seemed ok but can't help worrying that if confidence and performances do dip we are in such huge trouble. 

Sibley, Lawrence, Baldock, Shinnie, Bird...offered next to nothing going forward. Morrison best of a bad bunch attack-wise which is concerning. 

Thought Buchanan was decent other than his mistake. Really think it's going to be a huge grind this season at best and abject relegation at worst.

Over riding emotion is that it's all very well playing some nice intricate tidy football but when it's all on the edge of your own box with no chances created from the massive risk you are taking, it seems a really bizaare tactic.