Embargo.

simmoram1995

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think the club could send it’s preferred numbers to the EFl and say, here you go, we’ve submitted the returns, you don’t like them and what are you going to do about it ? That forces the EFl to decide whether to start another case. You’re right, that’s what I said we could do  

But based on what @Ellafella has said, it looks like we have seen sense and said : ok EFl, we and you disagree about the numbers, but we will submit numbers on the basis you and we have negotiated. And you agree that if we do submit those numbers,  you won’t start a case and all we get is an agreed 3 point deduction. 

in other words, it’s done by agreement, outside the enforcement regime. It’s a great result if this happens and it’s in line with what Pearce suggested when he indicated the club was keen to work with the ELF and avoid further disputes 

The problem with that is do boro and other clubs then start banging on about taking action against the EFL and it all gets silly again worsened by the fact that we have accepted guilt by taking a 3 point deduction without a squeak?

If three points penalty was the end of things now, no more chance for the EFL to have us for our accounts or late submission I'd take it all day. 

Think we have all acted a little entitled about the fight with the EFL and we're lucky we come out of this still in the championship. Three points at this stage of the season is more than enough time to prepare and make up ground. 

I was round at neighbours for dinner yesterday and he's an ex partner at Ernst and young plus a Leeds fan so I described our accounting issues. 

He snorted with derision at the EFL - there is no theoretical justification as to why a straight line amortisation method is superior to any other. 

In the context of football players he made the further point that a better amortisation method would likely be age dependent as players values typically increase whilst young/gaining experience then flat then decline as they age and lose physicality. 

Thankfully the dinner conversation moved on.... ?

I think the whole issue of amortisation of playing assets is problematic, but the straight line method recognises that what is being amortised is the initial transfer fee, not the players value at a particular point of his contract. The latter is too subjective to be a reliable method for a P&S calculation in my opinion. However, hauling us over the coals for using a different method is obtuse, when their preferred method did not form part of the FFP regulations (as far as I'm aware). The fact that they also signed off our alternative method without spotting it was problematic should have made them a bit more conciliatory - instead, they doubled down on it due mainly to the lobbying of Gibson and others. We've been pilloried for, basically, not breaking any rules (so far). They even changed the embargo rules recently specifically to address our accounting transgressions and cash flow difficulties which can be mostly attributed to failed takeovers and Covid. 

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think the whole issue of amortisation of playing assets is problematic, but the straight line method recognises that what is being amortised is the initial transfer fee, not the players value at a particular point of his contract. The latter is too subjective to be a reliable method for a P&S calculation in my opinion. However, hauling us over the coals for using a different method is obtuse, when their preferred method did not form part of the FFP regulations (as far as I'm aware). The fact that they also signed off our alternative method without spotting it was problematic should have made them a bit more conciliatory - instead, they doubled down on it due mainly to the lobbying of Gibson and others. We've been pilloried for, basically, not breaking any rules (so far). They even changed the embargo rules recently specifically to address our accounting transgressions and cash flow difficulties which can be mostly attributed to failed takeovers and Covid. 

The latter is too subjective to be a reliable method for a P&S calculation in my opinion.

There is almost certainly sufficient data to justify a different model based on a player retaining a decent chunk of value until he is into the last year of his contract.  Clearly not enough for the EFL though

21 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Anyone catch the 5 live reporter’s report about Derby apparently they’ve spoken to Rooney and he is hopeful our embargo might end as soon as Tuesday and he would like to add upto 8 new players to the squad? 

I think that's about what we actually do need - I know everyone has been saying we don't need that many but I think we do

GK - Marshal is off (it seems almost certain), Alsopp is on a 12 month contract, Roos contract expires end of season

RB - Byrne (contract up EOS) + youth players who will benefit more from occasional action/starts than pressure of playing every week

LB - Fozzy (contract EOS) is getting on a bit, Buchanan gives us 2nd option - Probably fine here

CB - We have 3, all old, all on 1 year (max) deals - Need to bring in minimum 2 options

CM - Shinnie (Contract EOS), Bird, Knight, Bielik - If all were fit we'd be fine but I still think we need some proper cover for Bielik

AM - Morrison and Lawrence (contract EOS), Sibley (for me) needs to be rotated out more often - A few weeks playing impact sub role and ease him back in - Think he needs protecting from the constant pressure of games like Boro (get kicked all over the pitch, barely and time/space etc)

Wide-Mids - Jozwiak? Is that it? Definitely need more here

ST - Baldock (contract Jan?) plus Stretton who I still think would benefit from taking away the pressure of being a 'starter' - Would bring in someone who's a 'different option'

On Saturday we ended the game with Bird, Watson, Buchanan and Stretton in our 'attacking 5' - That (for me) is too much responsibility on too many young players - If you have 2/5 they have chance to blend in, mess things up, get told where to go and what to do a bit more by the experienced heads - Stretton looks a real talent but when he comes on he legs it around the pitch chasing everything because his adrenaline is up so much from playing first team football - Compare that to Baldock who's physically very similar, who holds his position so the defence/midfield know where to aim for to pick him out