Embargo.

simmoram1995

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Come on, if anyone thinks we’re going to submit the accounts tomorrow after having an extension are deluded.

In my opinion the accounts are in, it’s the wrangling that’s taking the time.

Exactly @Boycie it’s just the negotiating the finer points is underway I agree. 

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Exactly @Boycie it’s just the negotiating the finer points is underway I agree. 

The reality is that none of us know if we have submitted the accounts or not and what the sticking points are whether we have or haven't.

We seem to be just making stuff up on here at the minute.

Let's just wait and see what comes out and what the facts are.

On 22/08/2021 at 14:10, RoyMac5 said:

That would imply we've submitted our accounts and P&S and the EFL have had time to examine them. Then 'convene' and agree on a punishment before charging us.

Thought I read a while ago that the effects would work with us regarding submitting accounts. So when we officially hand them over the efl are happy with them. Maybe we showed them last week and there was a couple of things needed tweaking. Hence the extension. 

Just now, ram2508 said:

Thought I read a while ago that the effects would work with us regarding submitting accounts. So when we officially hand them over the efl are happy with them. Maybe we showed them last week and there was a couple of things needed tweaking. Hence the extension. 

Efl  not effects ?

12 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Then the EFL need to make a decision as to whether they're just going to continue to outsource accounting competency (i.e. just keep with the single line rule that says clubs must comply with FRS102 and let the accountants deal with it), or whether they're going to take full control and write their own set of football-specific approved accounting standards. Obviously if they choose the later, it will need a proper vote by clubs, it will need an extensive process to decide what those rules are, it will need them to employ a bunch of accountancy experts to individually approve each clubs books, they will need proper enforcement processes in place, they'll need to deal with how it affects clubs being promoted/relegated in and out of the EFL, and it will obviously need the clubs to vote to pay for all of that.

What can't carry on is for the EFL to have that single line rule, and then every now and then arbitrarily decide it wants to enforce some fantasy accounting standard that doesn't seem to exist in the real world because one club did something it arbitrarily decided it didn't like.

The EFL will surely need to change things, not least in light of the loophole outlined by Mel in the Al-jazeera documentary.  

The EFl can’t write  their own accounting code. Nor is the problem solved by them telling clubs what policies and practices to use. They need instead to specify where P&S returns must be adjusted, if a club’s accounts do not reflect the EFL’s desired approach  

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

The EFL will surely need to change things, not least in light of the loophole outlined by Mel in the Al-jazeera documentary.  

The EFl can’t write  their own accounting code. Nor is the problem solved by them telling clubs what policies and practices to use. They need instead to specify where P&S returns must be adjusted, if a club’s accounts do not reflect the EFL’s desired approach  

I think it is very simple, a specific audit statement that each club is complying with amortization rules as part of the accounts filing process.  No club can be faulted in those circumstances.  I know the auditors sign off the whole set of accounts but in my industry they do that and also provide a reliance confirmation to our regulators

9 hours ago, ram2508 said:

Yes that's what I meant, that I didn't agree with what the poster had suggested. Here's hoping today's the day! #COYR

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

That's a crazy approach though, unless I'm completely misunderstanding you. You can't have clubs submitting P&S returns and the EFL demanding they change them based on an unknown and undocumented set of rules. 

You'd have the situation where a club can submit a set of accounts that they believe meet FFP thresholds, that have been signed off by auditors, accepted by HMRC etc etc, and the EFL can come back a month later and say we redid your numbers based on rules we didn't tell you about, and now you failed by £Xm so here's a big points deduction?