Rooney leaves

ThePrisoner

Just now, Andicis said:

Why are we? We were in need of a complete squad overhaul anyway. We will be fine. 

Not necessarily. A lot of players would stay because Rooney is manager. He is also a big factor in terms of recruiting new players. Not only are we left without a squad but we now have to recruit a new manager. We are in big trouble there's no doubt about it. I'm absolutely devastated that he's gone and worried for the new season.

I thought he’d be here for the rebuild and dead set on doing that. He’s turned down ‘better’ opportunities despite our predicament and stayed when not many others would’ve done the same.

But the same day we have positive news with regards to Clowes coming close to buying the Club, he walks. It now makes me think that his loyalty was based on more of a vested interest with a larger say in the Club, with his agent playing a key role with Kirchner. Now that’s not going to happen, he’s off. I genuinely did think (and still do think) that he had a strong connection with the Club and the people. Maybe he was only prepared to be a League One manager if he had the connections in the boardroom to go along with it.

I’m gutted he’s gone. The draw for players current and new would’ve been a massive advantage to us in League One. We need this takeover sorted asap, because now we need a new manager on top of a new squad.

Seemingly inevitable for weeks now.

I've been saying for ages I wouldn't blame him, and, I don't.

I wish him all the best going forward and thank him for his efforts.

I suspect his mind has been made up for a while but he didn't want to announce it until the club was safe, as it seemingly is going to be now.

Goodbye Wayne, I don't think it's panned out the way either of us wanted, but you have my respect and admiration for the way you've led us over the last 12 months.

I think it's fairly nailed on now that Rooney was heavily involved with Kirchner and having Cook and Stretford as part of the team, pretty devastated as I really thought he would lead us back up and had started to play good football.

That being said, it really is a clean slate now, suspect that may well be why Rosenior needed to talk to him before going to Blackpool, fully expect him to be new manager with maybe Curtis as assistant? 

I know we will still be a relatively big fish in L1 but that surely will lessen our chances of attracting a higher calibre of players.

At the end of the day, Rooney was the perfect man for the situation that we found ourselves in, he built a great siege mentality. That being said, getting promoted is a different thing all together, who knows if it would have even worked? I don't think it's the end of the world, but it's definitely a shame he never got a chance.