Ravel Morrison - overrated?

TheHomunculusLives

Am I the only fan who thinks that other than the debut goal v Salford, Morrison has actually been pretty underwhelming so far.

I understand he's probably still gaining match sharpness and he doesn't have great players around him, and I'd still pick him in our best team at the moment. But I'm seeing little evidence of this much heralded elite talent that means he could have been a world beater.

19 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Am I the only fan who thinks that other than the debut goal v Salford, Morrison has actually been pretty underwhelming so far.

I understand he's probably still gaining match sharpness and he doesn't have great players around him, and I'd still pick him in our best team at the moment. But I'm seeing little evidence of this much heralded elite talent that means he could have been a world beater.

image.png.de5e6c95012229cf8492546c2f467f13.png

Just now, CBRammette said:

Based on the restrictions on us when he signed and his willingness to sign in that position, i think he is underrated and an excellent signing. We were hardly going to get Messi

Absolutely, his quality on the ball is clear to see, if we had a few more of his ability in the team we'd be thriving.

51 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Jury still out for me but I get where you are coming from….

I'm not sure what you were expecting.

There's a reason why he never became the player he supposedly could have been. If he was that good, he wouldn't be playing for us obviously.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player for us, but it's unlikely he will ever be a world beater.

So far he's exactly what I expected him to be. Flashes of brilliance, you can see he's a good footballer but parts of his game need work.

Edited by Rammy03

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting. There's a reason why he never became the player he supposedly could have been. If he was that good, he wouldn't be playing for us obviously. I'm not saying he can't be a good player for us, but it's unlikely he will ever be a world beater.

I was expecting a player with a level of ability that stood out at Championship level. What I'm seeing - the debut goal apart - is a neat and tidy average Championship midfielder, nothing more. And we saw signs of temperament issues in the Birmingham game.

Glad of this thread - "king is naked" and all that.

Clearly he's one of the best - if not the best - at the club at receiving the ball in tight places and retaining it.

But where I'm really disappointed is his decision making in the final third.

Similar to Lawrence, he will shoot when laying off a pass would be a better option. However, his shooting is nowhere near as good as Lawrence's.

The game against Forest showed us glimpses of what would be possible with an interchanging, fast moving, slick passing forward quartet of Jozwiak, Sibley, Lawrence and Morrison. But that's only going to work if the decision making is good and the passing sharp.

I keep wondering if Louie Watson would be better in the front four for that reason. And drop Morrison back alongside Bird/Shinnie/Knight in the defensive two CDMs.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Glad of this thread - "king is naked" and all that.

Clearly he's one of the best - if not the best - at the club at receiving the ball in tight places and retaining it.

But where I'm really disappointed is his decision making in the final third.

Similar to Lawrence, he will shoot when laying off a pass would be a better option. However, his shooting is nowhere near as good as Lawrence's.

The game against Forest showed us glimpses of what would be possible with an interchanging, fast moving, slick passing forward quartet of Jozwiak, Sibley, Lawrence and Morrison. But that's only going to work if the decision making is good and the passing sharp.

I keep wondering if Louie Watson would be better in the front four for that reason. And drop Morrison back alongside Bird/Shinnie/Knight in the defensive two CDMs.

From what I've seen, Louie Watson is as good as a passer of the ball as anyone at the club. Unfortunately he seems far too lightweight for Championship level football.

2 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

From what I've seen, Louie Watson is as good as a passer of the ball as anyone at the club. Unfortunately he seems far too lightweight for Championship level football.

Louie could need a season on loan probleam we cant sigh but I think he puts on some muscle he could be okay.