Ravel Morrison - overrated?

TheHomunculusLives

Kind of the story of his career. Starts fairly brightly then tails off. 

Also noticed the balance and fluidity of our midfield improved as soon as he  was banned. We are now transitioning from defence into attack much more quickly without him hanging on to the ball.

To fair to him he’s probably the best player in the squad if you look at technical ability. He just doesn’t seem to know how to transfer that talent into performances at this level.

I said at the time it’s a shame we didn’t get Alouko in as he’d have been more useful.

All that said he’s not a dead loss. He’s a useful option to have off the bench especially if we need to maintain possession. But absolutely not a starter for me, Knight, Bird, Shinnie and Thompson all ahead of him in midfield ( with Beilik to return too) and Lawrence, Sibley and Watson are ahead of him for the number 10 role.

You also can’t play him and Lawrence in the same team and Lawrence is doing all the heavy lifting for us attack wise

52 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Behave he is our best player. Best one on the ball & best passer. He had a bad game against QPR & was frustrated when he came off. He can still be our best player & have a bad game now & again 

Best player? Or do you mean potential to be best player?

We will be at the last game of the season and some of our fans will be saying "I'm confident today's the day he's going to show up".

Facts are, if we're going to play three centre mids (a mistake) we certainly don't have space for a player who doesn't score, create much, make runs in behind and genuinely wants to play in the middle of the pitch all the time.

Our current game plan revolves around either Lawrence producing some magic or the sheer effort of Knight creating an opportunity.

10 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Kind of the story of his career. Starts fairly brightly then tails off. 

Also noticed the balance and fluidity of our midfield improved as soon as he  was banned. We are now transitioning from defence into attack much more quickly without him hanging on to the ball.

To fair to him he’s probably the best player in the squad if you look at technical ability. He just doesn’t seem to know how to transfer that talent into performances at this level.

I said at the time it’s a shame we didn’t get Alouko in as he’d have been more useful.

All that said he’s not a dead loss. He’s a useful option to have off the bench especially if we need to maintain possession. But absolutely not a starter for me, Knight, Bird, Shinnie and Thompson all ahead of him in midfield ( with Beilik to return too) and Lawrence, Sibley and Watson are ahead of him for the number 10 role.

You also can’t play him and Lawrence in the same team and Lawrence is doing all the heavy lifting for us attack wise

Agree with this but given how his career has gone can we really afford to keep someone who is no more than a handy option off the bench?

10 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Behave he is our best player. Best one on the ball & best passer. He had a bad game against QPR & was frustrated when he came off. He can still be our best player & have a bad game now & again 

Our most talented player maybe but not our best player. ‘Best’ is a measure of what a player actually produces on a consistent basis and his case this isn’t all the much, certainly not more than other players

Morrison is clearly a talented footballer but you have to harness that talent.

Countless coaches have tried and failed to get the best out of him. So I think it is unreasonable to expect Rooney to do so in 15-20 games or a matter of months. As such, posts saying Morrison is overrated, underwhelming and so on are premature for me.

Morrison has had a 10+ year career and played roughly 160 games - the equivalent of four full seasons of football. So perhaps it is unfair to expect him to be polished and consistent.

In real terms, he is 28, almost 29. But in footballing terms when you think of his development and maturity as a player and his decision making, he is akin to a 21-22 year old, and probably six or seven years behind where a player of his ability should be.

He is a work in progress. He needs time, patience and to be handled with care. He also needs a consistent role in the team and to be given responsibility.

The way his career has gone, we were never going to see the best of him in year one, but hopefully he decides to stay and stabilise his career, and a year or two from now, hopefully we will see the benefits.

He could be fantastic in League 1 should we end up there.

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Morrison is clearly a talented footballer but you have to harness that talent.

Countless coaches have tried and failed to get the best out of him. So I think it is unreasonable to expect Rooney to do so in 15-20 games or a matter of months. As such, posts saying Morrison is overrated, underwhelming and so on are premature for me.

Morrison has had a 10+ year career and played roughly 160 games - the equivalent of four full seasons of football. So perhaps it is unfair to expect him to be polished and consistent.

In real terms, he is 28, almost 29. But in footballing terms when you think of his development and maturity as a player and his decision making, he is akin to a 21-22 year old, and probably six or seven years behind where a player of his ability should be.

He is a work in progress. He needs time, patience and to be handled with care. He also needs a consistent role in the team and to be given responsibility.

The way his career has gone, we were never going to see the best of him in year one, but hopefully he decides to stay and stabilise his career, and a year or two from now, hopefully we will see the benefits.

He could be fantastic in League 1 should we end up there.

Surely if so many coaches over so many years have tried and failed to get the best out of him points the fact that there could be something lacking in either his actual ability or his attitude. In all of those player/coach relationships there is only one consistent and that is Ravel himself. 

He could indeed be fantastic in league one but what has there been in his long career that support this hope? I rather suspect he wouldn’t have the time on the ball that he would thrive on or enjoy the rough and tumble of that league.

I’d love him to come good during the rest of the season and help us end up with a creditable points tally even if we don’t succeed in staying up but, I can’t see it happening to be honest.

He certainly has talent but do many times when controlling a ball he moves it to a position where he must pass backwards. Almost as if he is frightened of giving the ball away going forward. There is a time for safety and a time for gung-ho and we are in a position where we need to win so have to go gung-ho more than maybe is the safest option. When we play with pace we look like the real deal capable of beating most teams. Slowly slowly catchie monkey does not work for us. Also think Morrison could show himself more to give Roos an option of throwing it to him because what we are doing now from the keeper is the root source of our downfall. BTW what has CKR added to the team when he has come on. He is not busting a gut like the rest are. Monday on the pitch for about 17 minutes, 2 touches, 1 misplaced pass.

Where’s all this “he’s our best player come from” I hear the same about Joz “technically most gifted player” etc etc. What a load of tosh, another footballing myth, do some keep uppeys in training all you want, you need to do it on a match day to get that credit. So far Morrison has turned up in a handful of games, he’s not even in our top 11 best players.  

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Agree with this but given how his career has gone can we really afford to keep someone who is no more than a handy option off the bench?

Not necessarily, however as long as he has a contract then we have to find a use for him.