Ravel Morrison - overrated?

TheHomunculusLives

On 13/09/2021 at 15:47, Rammeister said:

He seems able to pass to another one of our players - which is a big plus. I see a tendency to pass sideways, but that could be due to lack of movement ahead of him by forwards. 

I think he will get stronger- just needs to not allow other teams to press his buttons like on Friday.

At the end of the day  does it matter? We are a very small squad, deep in the poo and he is willing to turn out probably on less than he could command. Maybe not the best but who else do we have,? Beggars can't be choosers 

• 1 month later...

Ravel Morrison had now played 15 games this season. That’s more than he’s played for 7 of the last 8 seasons. He’s also now regularly playing for Jamaica. He’s paid more than likely a fraction of what he used to earn and he’s playing for a national team that has no fans and not a huge chance of qualifying for the World Cup…

… and yet he’s playing and trying and showing a positive attitude. 

I think we probably don’t give this guy enough credit. Sure it can be frustrating when he goes backwards when he should go forwards. But frankly, in my view at least he’s the classiest player we have and I for one really hope he gets a few goals and continues to prove the doubters wrong.

Plus a tip fo the hat for Rooney who so far has proved he can manage him.

Come on ravel! Get a goal or two for us on Sunday!!

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'd love to be as low paid as him, frankly.

Yes. I did think that. I was careful not to say sympathy. His wages are good. But remember. He’s a footballer: his career is limited to somewhere mid 30s and then he has to find something else completely to pay the bills. He has to earn heavily now to compensate for that potential fall in salary. He’s earning pretty poorly for a footballer of his ability. I don’t have sympathy, but if I were him I’d be playing my heart out now, proving I can see out a season and on the lookout for a bigger salary and a longer contract at the end of the season….…. and if he can do that at Derby  or elsewhere then good luck to him … and great for Derby if he can play to his obvious standard for the time being.

47 minutes ago, Malty said:

Yes. I did think that. I was careful not to say sympathy. His wages are good. But remember. He’s a footballer: his career is limited to somewhere mid 30s and then he has to find something else completely to pay the bills. He has to earn heavily now to compensate for that potential fall in salary. He’s earning pretty poorly for a footballer of his ability. I don’t have sympathy, but if I were him I’d be playing my heart out now, proving I can see out a season and on the lookout for a bigger salary and a longer contract at the end of the season….…. and if he can do that at Derby  or elsewhere then good luck to him … and great for Derby if he can play to his obvious standard for the time being.

I see this a lot, and of course you're correct that a footballers maximum earning potential is short.

There's nothing to stop them learning a different trade though, and going on to enjoy another career beyond their mid 30's.

Literally everyone else has to re-skill and adapt their career path as they get older, why should footballers be any different?

Did people despair when Charlie George took on a pub, or Kevin Hector became a postman, or Phil Gee and Roger Davies worked for Rolls Royce?

Some of those above were top stars of their day, yet none of them got to retire on their first careers wages.

I'm not knocking the individual here, just the notion that having a entirely average football career should see you earn enough to retire on in your mid 30's.

Ravel is a talented footballer, many top players have commented on his natural ability. He's obviously had his demons to deal with and has never fulfilled his potential but whatever has happened in the past he actually seems at home here. 

He has a great first touch and can receive the ball under pressure with ease, definitely a class act. I wonder if the lads around him haven't got the awareness to make a run before he gets the ball? I get the feeling that Rav could put a killer ball through the eye of a needle if he had summat to aim at.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

I see this a lot, and of course you're correct that a footballers maximum earning potential is short.

There's nothing to stop them learning a different trade though, and going on to enjoy another career beyond their mid 30's.

Literally everyone else has to re-skill and adapt their career path as they get older, why should footballers be any different?

Did people despair when Charlie George took on a pub, or Kevin Hector became a postman, or Phil Gee and Roger Davies worked for Rolls Royce?

Some of those above were top stars of their day, yet none of them got to retire on their first careers wages.

I'm not knocking the individual here, just the notion that having a entirely average football career should see you earn enough to retire on in your mid 30's.

I’m not criticising players for earning big money either, it’s not their fault, but surely it’s more a case of the need to receive good advice, being sensible with their spending and putting money away for a rainy day.

If my maths are correct, even on the “pittance” of £4,500 per week, an 8 year career would gross £1.8m. The average man or woman in the street earning £40k every year would have to work for 46 years to match that. I know the sums don’t quite add up as footballers would be in the higher rate tax bracket but the principle is still valid (I think).

I actually think it’s more important for the players mental well being to get another job at the end of their playing career than for financial reasons. Many of us dream of being able to retire early (I did but took on another contract October 2020 - June 2021 because I was bored) but it in reality I suspect it’s very difficult to simply stop working in your mid to late 30’s.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so pleased when he came to the club. I thought with his silky skills and passing abilities, glimpses shown in the friendlies, he could turn into a Derby legend. He would get even better with match practice. 

Sadly, he's at the last chance saloon. In fact, possibility he might not even start for the club again. He doesn't deserve to keep his place against Bristol and if his replacement does well, Ravel could go in January. Mind you, wasn't his contract for 12 months? 

In some ways he seems to get worse with every game. 

Come on Ravel, show the world what a quality, class player you really are. 

2 minutes ago, Yani P said:

He was very poor last night for sure, wouldn't write him off but he needs to sort himself out..we cannot afford passengers and for whatever reason he was one last night..should have been subbed earlier.

Whether it’s the way we play, the players around him or he’s lost confidence or enthusiasm, he simply isn’t contributing enough or influencing the game and, IMO, rarely has since he arrived.