Derby County vs Middlesbrough

RadioactiveWaste

22 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

Wow. So completely different to my view

Boro very lucky to get away with a point. Many examples, but i would point to Louis’ shot when through on goal in the 86th minute

Stretton was absolutely brilliant when he came on and very nearly won it at the end. Even Boros monsters couldn't knock him off the ball. 

Watson always looking to get on the ball and we all know and could see Buchanans ability in the air and up the line

Could I respectfully ask - were you at the game today ? Derby County v Middlesborough 21 August 2021 ? That one ? 

I thought it was pretty much an even game,neither side were remotely dominant and neither had or took many chances.

A turgid affair in truth but we take away a valuable point.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know they are not always the best barometer but the stats would seem to indicate that a draw was a pretty fair result and that neither team was lucky to walk away with a point.

Screenshot_20210822-002416_Samsung Internet.jpg

One of Boro's best chances was one that they didn't get a shot off thanks to a fantastic tackle I think from Davies as Roos was trying to dive for the ball. They had a number of good chances that they didn't get on target from set pieces and down the sides that didn't result in shots ( i can think of at least 3 instances). 

I am surprised at the possession stats, maybe we had more of the ball than i remember in the first half. Again I think in the first half we did very well and looked good against them. I think we manged to carve open 2 or 3 chances. In the second half they looked like the only team who were really going to win. I'd be frustrated if I was warnock myself at only getting a point. Overall, I think they deserved the 3 points and most matchdays they would have won. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

Derby were better in the first half. Max Bird had a really good chance to score, while we often pulled them out of position.

Second half was mostly Boro though. They missed a great headed chance at the back post, hit the bar with another glancing header while they also should have scored when they were in down our right but the cross across goal was poor.

Boro pushed up second half and we struggled to get out as Sibley and Joz tired.

A draw was fair over the 90 minutes, but you can understand with Boro’s momentum second half why they may feel they should have won it.

We’ll take the point and move on.

Was a typical game against a Neil Warnock side. Quite scrappy and bitty second half in particular, neither side in my opinion really dominated the game. We had a spell of about 15-20 mins in the first half, they did similar in the second, yet we still had a couple of chances second half, the save from Sibley was outstanding. Even when they were on top I never felt like we were on the ropes. We saw the game out comfortably. A draw was absolutely the right result. 

I continue to be encouraged by this team however. We are starting to look solid which is always a good sign. We tried to play and in the first particularly played some good stuff. Second half I agree with Wazza that we were dragged into their game, but we stood up to the physical challenge, we weren’t bullied. They are a team who will be up there around the top 6 and we matched them. The only downside is we had no real options to change it, but that’s where we’re at with our injuries and the off field situation. 

Jags is looking an inspired signing. Bird continued his good start to the season. It was Shinnies best game so far today (hindsight it was his sort of game today and we needed him), Morrison oozes class, excellent player. Sibley had his moments and Joz - didn’t really happen for him today but liked the effort, they played him well but he will have better games, his showed his quality a couple of times.

All in all a thoroughly deserved point and more encouraging signs. We’re not going to threaten the top half as we don’t have a squad but I’ve seen enough to think we’ll be ok.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

Thought we edged it in the first half and boro edged the second half ,,, for me a draw was a fair result

though we weren’t electric I thought we looked like we wanted to play football the right way and try to win the game going forward,

for me it wasn’t a dire performance where you thought jeez we are in real trouble this season we look clueless , it was a hard won point in a hard game against a big physical side ,one you can build on and move forward and for me that’s a real plus given our situation, we’ll done Rooney and the team and players 

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I thought it was pretty much an even game,neither side were remotely dominant and neither had or took many chances.

A turgid affair in truth but we take away a valuable point.

I didn't find it turgid at all (except when Boro had the ball), I thought we played some attractive and incisive football, particularly first half, but I'll accept it won't go down as a classic. 

All of our defenders performed admirably, and their advancing years haven't harmed them severely yet.

Due to the ageing effect, any new owners would be need to completely rebuild the defence the next season at their age.

I'm afraid that derbies lack a goal threat; if you look at Baldock, at 32, I wonder who believes he can suddenly improve or that he will score a respectable of goals this season at his age?

A reasonable number of goals for him this season would be ten, making him no better than Lawrence.

Baldock does appear to have a genuine passion for the game, which is a plus.

Quite enjoyed the game, thought we played some really good stuff first half probably should have done better with some of the half chances. 

Second half was an absolute scrap, Boro are a vile, vile team. They encapsulate everything that is a Neil Warnock team but we stood up to the test.

Above all else, I’m starting to like this team again. After years of watching a team of mercenaries looking for a pay day we’ve now got a group of players who are here because they actually want to play football and not just for the £ note.

After the first twenty minutes I thought we’re going to struggle here. Only Shinnie seemed to fancy a challenge against Ikpeazu and others looked intimidated by Middlesbrough’s physical players. Few looked like they really wanted the ball and when we got it we looked hurried. 

But we gutsed it out and grew in confidence on the ball. I felt sorry for Baldock who had to come deeper and deeper to get the ball. He had no chance against McNair and Fry and whilst we played some nice stuff, it was difficult to see where goals would come from. I couldn’t understand why we persisted in launching balls into the box where Boro dominated.

Dijksteel looked sharp for them and I was pleased to get to half time at nil nil even though we had more of the ball.

It didn’t get any easier second half. Our midfield three all play deep and that invites pressure. Sibley, Jozwiak and Baldock couldn’t keep the ball long enough and it became a rearguard action.

Yet still we managed two reasonable chances. Watson had the chance to be a hero but snatched at his volley. Stretton cleverly manufactured a volley but dragged it wide.

Overall, I was pleased with the effort and togetherness but we will need different forwards if we are to progress.

Neat football is pointless without players who can take chances.

It was great to be back at Pride Park, even if the fans behind me gave me a headache with their tirade against the officials!

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Someone posted on Facebook that the 70% of the world is covered by water. Davies and Jags covered the remaining 30% !

Someone on Facebook reads my posts on here then!