Derby County vs Middlesbrough

RadioactiveWaste

9 hours ago, BriggRam said:

I can't believe there are people that say they like Neil Warnock......hate is a strong word blah blah, but I genuinely hate the bloke and I hope he never ever ever works in any capacity with Derby County

He’s a Colin by name and a Colin by nature….

18 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know they are not always the best barometer but the stats would seem to indicate that a draw was a pretty fair result and that neither team was lucky to walk away with a point.

Screenshot_20210822-002416_Samsung Internet.jpg

The fouls stat - is that real fouls, or the ones where a Middlesborough goes for a gentle lie down and is awarded a free-kick? 

37 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The fouls stat - is that real fouls, or the ones where a Middlesborough goes for a gentle lie down and is awarded a free-kick? 

Didn't really think the ref was biased against us, just poor throughout. 

Think there were soft free kicks going both ways at times, although their theatrics were obviously more notable.

If the Jagielka incident was a free kick, which I don't think it was, then it should have been a sending off in all fairness. 

Ref also had a real shocker 

But to be fair, it may not have been his fault. It appears refs have been given new guidelines to ‘allow the game to flow’.  Klopp and Solksjaer are going mad about it already

Strangely enough, the dirtiest, most physical teams with a mean streak running right through them ( put there by their manager) are immediately taking advantage .  As we saw yesterday. Would you believe Warnock actually praised the ref for having a good game. If anything sums up the shambles the refs are in, that does !  Likewise the anti-football attitude Warnock has to the game in general.

Its maybe sad to say, but the moment he calls it a day will be a good one for football

7 minutes ago, Stockyram92 said:

Slight change of subject and don't know if it's been mentioned on here..  

Is it just me or did anyone else think Charlie palmer on radio Derby was terrible? 

Didn’t have a clue who it was when I got back to the car. He’d talk for so long in his boring, monotone voice id completely forgot his initial point and nearly fall asleep.

Just finished watching the game back.

Need to start with the obvious, I don't think I can remember seeing a case of such blatant cheating and a referee so willing to let it go on their side. The whole second half we got penned in purely because Boro were allowed to get away with a stupid amount of niggly fouls when we tried to break or dives when we won the ball back cleanly. Not to mention the whole thing around Warnock calling for a red against Jagielka for what was frankly the Boro playing arriving late and then their striker clearly blatantly elbowing Jagielka. Yes they mounted pressure but it was purely down to the referee putting his thumb on the scale of the game and letting such blatant poohousing go. Honestly getting out of the game without an injury is a blessing and getting a point shows that at least the team that started today can stand up to any physical challenge legitimate or not.

Trying to talk about the game from a tactical stand point or from any remotely analytical view feels pointless but I think there were a couple of things that are worth noting. I'm glad that we kept trying to keep the ball and play football, first half in particular we had some really good spells and created some decent openings. It's encouraging  to see that even against a team so entrenched we can find ways of creating space. I will make a special given that I've heavily criticised him off late; Shinnie was much improved, his movement off the ball and his tactical awareness were much improved. Tactically he's looking much more comfortable than he was. Following from that on a general note the midfield looks like it's starting to gel; Bird, Morrison and Shinnie looks like they are really beginning to develop an understanding and are really starting to fluidly interchange. Then throw in Jozwiak and Sibley sitting in dangerous areas ready to either link play, provide a runner or ready to drive at the back line and it's looking promising. The one thing I'd say which feels harsh is that we worked the ball well to create space and time for somebody in midfield and it would often fall to Shinnie in that space a little too much and he couldn't make the most of it, if that had been say Bielik we probably tear them open. (I mean we likely would have anyway if we had an even handed ref).

Oh also I'm not sure if anyone else has said similar but this game was calling out for Ebosele being brought and thought it was a minor misstep from Rooney that he wasn't. Could have done with his powerful running in the second half to break us out a bit more.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Oh also I'm not sure if anyone else has said similar but this game was calling out for Ebosele being brought and thought it was a minor misstep from Rooney that he wasn't. Could have done with his powerful running in the second half to break us out a bit more.

No one has said similar because Ebosele wasn’t in the squad - injured.

20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Derby were better in the first half. Max Bird had a really good chance to score, while we often pulled them out of position.

Second half was mostly Boro though. They missed a great headed chance at the back post, hit the bar with another glancing header while they also should have scored when they were in down our right but the cross across goal was poor.

Boro pushed up second half and we struggled to get out as Sibley and Joz tired.

A draw was fair over the 90 minutes, but you can understand with Boro’s momentum second half why they may feel they should have won it.

We’ll take the point and move on.

To be honest I think we struggled to get out in part because the ref let a lot of niggly fouls go as we were trying to get out. Jozwiak and Sibley in particular had their heels clipped so many times with the ref just ignoring it, honestly they'd have been better off hitting the deck rather than trying to stay on their feet.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Given the reputation Warnock has for wading into referees both during and after matches, it does make you think that the weaker officials are so intimidated by him and fearful that the ensuing publicity might affect their standing within the officiating structure that it affects their decisions.

I can think of no other plausible reason for Mr Davies's failure to take a firmer grip on the antics and thuggery of this vile Boro team.

I totally agree. Further more it shouldn't even be acceptable for a manager to even speak to a referee before or after a game and if he rants and verbally abuses the referee he should be immediately sent off. Warnock is an ignorant oaf. I have no time for him. 

On 21/08/2021 at 21:32, Anag Ram said:

Stretton is a better prospect than Sibley.

Sibley is no better now than two years ago. He needs room to manoeuvre because his close control isn’t great. He won’t get much of that in the championship.

He doesn’t really demand the ball. He hacks rather than tackling and his final ball is poor.

I struggle to see the excitement. He is young and may develop but my own thinking is he lacks the maturity to do so. He’s a better sub than starter.

Stretton by comparison is composed under pressure and not afraid to use his strength.

They are very different players. But Stretton’s volley late on showed massive promise - wonderful athleticism, speed and striker’s instinct. Really encouraging. His confidence is growing