Oxford United v Derby County

B4’s Sister

From the Oxford forum…

‘Would be churlish not to comment on Derby, who, even before we let them have the run of the pitch, I thought looked really good. Wilson is a brilliant player, that 6 at CB was pure class and their attacking midfielders were running the show. The ball in for the second goal was absolutely perfect. Shame about the fans - from where I’m seated in the East, the Derby fans are over the goal, and there was someone shining a green laser into Beadle’s eyes at every set piece. Pathetic.’

😎

So there I was pottering around New York and up flashes the score on my watch. 2 nil down. (I missed the notification for their first). Cr4p says I. Typical. Mumble grumble. What? asks the wife. Nothing, just Derby doing a Derby. Then I see we pulled one back. Then radio silence. A while later sipping my 2nd pint of $9 Founders Ale, up pops the final score. We'd only gone and done it! The ridiculous price of beer no longer pained me (well, not quite as much). We'd won from 2 nil down. Get the flip in. We'll done you Rams and kudos to Warne too. Happy New Year all 🍻

Well that is a brilliant fight back to beat a promotion rival at their ground.

Their goals were obviously poor decisions by our players, we can’t afford to do that on Monday.

Whats pleasing me is that we seem to be playing like a team on a mission now, hopefully we can get a couple of new faces in to help maintain the momentum.

A surefire sign that we’re going up when Liam Thompson scores a header 😂

Hopefully the lads can raise their game one more time on Monday before Warne thinks about rotating the key players a little. 

6 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Yeah, I agree. Everyone played their part tonight, but it's unfair to focus just on the signings made by Warne. They were all excellent. Warne included.

That wasn't my point. It was that the emphasis Warne has made on the 'character' of the players he's signing has been ridiculed.

All the Warne-isms (the boards with photos, constantly texting all the players, little quirky ideas about making them share feelings to bond as a team etc etc)...

Well as a team that were mentally so strong,  so together. Never flinched....

My mate was constantly in my ear 'we are winning this...'.. it felt inevitable. 

Maybe,  just maybe Warne knows what he's doing with building a decent culture at the club.

A lot of begrudging fans are saying even if he gets us up we will be terrible in the next league because of the type of football he plays. Maybe the culture, the togetherness of the whole staff etc may count for more than we think.

Tonight it showed its value. No shirking, no fingerpointing, no heads going down.  Just 100% commitment to the cause. Yes, from the new players but from from all the players he is working with every day. 

Edited by Chester40

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Technically, all 3 goals "could" be fairly labelled under "poor defending".  

I know they would be on here, had it been us conceding them.

... But that's what quality balls do.  They make the defence nervous.  They force the back line to be facing their own goal.  They turn brave defenders into cowards, passing the buck for team mates to deal with... and more often than not, they never do!
Such balls in require nothing more than a touch.  The skill and hard work is already done by the time the ball reaches the scorer.

Literally all 3 ended up being a "couldn't miss".  Not scrappy in any way, but simply pushed over the line, to finish the job.

1/  Perfect corner... deft "flick-on header"... Fozzie couldn't miss.
2/  A beautifully weighted lob-cross from the hunky Irish Heart throb... right onto the on-rushing nose of big Liam... Faced into the net... Couldn't miss.
3/  A Free-kick even more perfect than the corner (see 1)... defence (and keeper) too scared to take any rap, so they all left it to others.  Boy Wonder went in there with every intention of finishing with a bullet header, and it just dropped to his ankle bone... He couldn't miss.

Neither were wonder goals... and yet they were wonderous.
We've seen enough "balls-in" that have flew across to end up being a throw-in.  Plenty have curled out and in again for goal kicks.  Even the more exciting hard and low efforts that just bullet straight through, beyond everyone, and come to nothing.  We've even seen crosses that have left us all wondering whether that was actually a really, really bad shot!

Tonight we've scored 3 perfect goals from 3 perfect balls-in.
We need to go balls-in from now until the season's end, and we'll be champions.

What do we want?
Balls in.
When do we want it?
Every matchday, and twice on Saturdays.

Well it’s the morning after and just sitting with a coffee and a fag ,,,, still buzzing , said it earlier somewhere on here , warne is still a young inexperienced manager despite his 3 promotions, he really has got something about him and if we go up this season he gets a fair crack at the championship for me , I really hope the small no matter what anti warne mob drop this warneball is not good enough to compete in the championship, he’s not good enough ect stuff and we all get behind him , he has fostered a real togetherness at the club and in the squad apart from a few noisy determined to be right fans though respect to those who are comming round and big enough to say so on here👍,

as for league 1 downer ,, well I’m really invested and enjoying this season , football is football no matter what level , it’s the competition and the emotion that takes you on the roller coaster

7 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Limbs etc.  

Can't help my little downer, given the obvious absentee from those scenes, as this was what he lived for.
... But hey... we know he's up there.  We know he's still watching.  We know he's still bouncing.

He'll not be resting in any sort of peace just yet a while... He'll be friggin' buzzin'.  His spirt lives on.

🐏🤍

Morning reflections, that was a cracking game of football.  A brilliant win and well deserved.  It took us a bit of time to settle and they came at us in the first 15 mins or so.  But that’s to be expected.  They’re a team in the same situation as us in that they’re aiming and battling for promotion.  They were the home side against the form team so they’ll want to get an early advantage.

But then we settled, got a foothold in the game and from then on, 2nd half in particular, we controlled it.  It felt like it was a matter of time before we scored.

On this run we’ve shown all the hallmarks of a good team/squad.  Everyone has played their part superbly, whether starting or from the bench.  You can tell by the celebrations in the last 2 games they’re a tight knit group which bodes well.  We’ve ground out wins when not playing that well, we’ve been resilient and fought back from behind and on Boxing Day, my favourite of the run, we’ve controlled a game.  When was the last time we conceded from open play?  From memory, the last 5 against us have been 2 free kicks and 3 penalties.

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I wasn't impressed with him. 

Played a backpass that looked panicked and a bit short of wildsmith.

Ducked under a couple of up and unders.

Will be nervous until I see Cash and Nelson have extended.

Perhaps I’ll have to rewatch the whole game as, after one live viewing, your comments feel a bit harsh to me. I don’t recall feeling any nervousness or concern about his game tonight. It could be any dodgy moments were perhaps down to a change in formation (more exposed at the back?) as time was running out and we had to commit even more to attack?

Loved all the goals.

Tommo’s. Great deliver, perfectly timed run, class finish. Someone has just posted a pic of a young Archie Gemmil, strikingly similar. There is something in the air at the moment and it’s a bit special. Win on Monday anyone ? 

Fozzy clean as a whistle, back post copybook

Cash, that boy has the power