Accrington Stanley v Derby County Matchday Thread

archram

2 hours ago, David said:

That’s beards for you. They add 20 years on to every man.

Great if you’re at school and started puberty early, become popular as you can get served alcohol. After that though, waste of time. 

I was at Belper yesterday watching them play Guiseley FC, They had around 15 young uns behind the goal supporting them, One lad must have been 6'6" with a full beard leading the chants...I asked one of them how old is he (looks mid 20s) 14 was the reply ?

4 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I was at Belper yesterday watching them play Guiseley FC, They had around 15 young uns behind the goal supporting them, One lad must have been 6'6" with a full beard leading the chants...I asked one of them how old is he (looks mid 20s) 14 was the reply ?

Sounds like most of the girls in my class at Belper High school... ?

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Probably came down from the hills.

I would have dropped Hourihane for his handball last week, but it didn't matter as finally we got to see Louie Sibley in his best position anyway. I'm so pleased everyone saw it. Play him in midfield every week (a good combo with Bird and Knight as they do complement each other) and we will be promoted. Football's a simple game really. 

Very happy for Wildsmith and Osulu too. 

21 minutes ago, sage said:

I do think people are getting a little carried away. 

By the laws of probability we should have been 2-1 down and reduced to ten men. 

Knight Bird Sibley look good going forward but leave us pretty exposed defensively. 

On the plus side I can put down on my both sides scores acca every week. 

And why not after 2 years of doom and gloom? Most are not carried away just enjoying have a spring in our step after a Saturday. Isnt that what its all about? 

31 minutes ago, sage said:

Knight Bird Sibley look good going forward but leave us pretty exposed defensively. 

I think if they score the first pen the second penalty and potential sending off doesn’t happen.  It was frustrating because we had Accrington completely under control until the first pen. 

I thought we were good value for the win but I agree, I didn’t think we were that good and play the same way against Ipswich and we’ll get beat. The same people on Twitter criticising Charlton and Fleetwood are the same people eulogising about beating Accrington 3-0 yet we probably played better against Charlton and Fleetwood. Shows a lot of people are just blinded by the score line. 

I’ll enjoy it nonetheless because we didn’t get what we deserved in the earlier away games under Rosenior where we played some good stuff regardless of what some say.

35 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think if they score the first pen the second penalty and potential sending off doesn’t happen.

That's a good point that's often missed in the "what if" debates. Had the first penalty been scored, what followed would not have been exactly the same, though undoubtedly it would have given Accy a boost. It's still likely though that Warnes halftime rollicking would have had a positive effect on the team. 

It was a well-deserved win, although we can see that Warne's approach has taken away some of the positives of Rosenior's work. We are a chaotic team to watch, extremely high intensity with the ball being pushed forward as much as possible which led to all our three goals. We do, however, seem unable to get the ball down and stretch the opposition when it feels like we need to get control of the ball. 

Under Rosenior it was the opposite, we could control the ball but struggle to change the pace to get us some better goalscoring opportunities - hence why we were having 10, 15, 20 shots in games and not threatening the back of the net. 

I hope that we can develop as we go forward, otherwise games will be a coin flip from winning and losing. Also, another two penalties - first one was a joke for me, but the second one was very much a penalty - we can't do that against Ipswich and expect a result. Nevertheless, I feel our approach may cause Ipswich a headache as they will control the ball and we will just look to push the ball forward as quick as possible. 

It's an opportunity to take points of a team in the top 6. We need to take it. 

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I would have dropped Hourihane for his handball last week, but it didn't matter as finally we got to see Louie Sibley in his best position anyway. I'm so pleased everyone saw it. Play him in midfield every week (a good combo with Bird and Knight as they do complement each other) and we will be promoted. Football's a simple game really. 

Very happy for Wildsmith and Osulu too. 

It would be truly stupid to have dropped Hourihane just because of the handball. Don't know how many of the games you have watched in full but Sibley has been inconsistent like Hourihane has.

4 hours ago, sage said:

We limited them to 8 shots (2 penalties), only 1 of which was target (the first penalty), so even though the defence was exposed, the defence held out quite well. Saying that, I do worry that we'll see a few red cards to our defenders over the course of the season as things stand.

I disagree that it's the midfield trio who leave the defence exposed though, as I put that more down to the wingers, who leave a lot of space in behind for the opposition to attack. They had 3 clear chances to score, and only one in open play.
1. The crossbar effort was a result of giving the ball away far too easily and Chester being weak in the challenge
2. The first penalty was from not dealing with a corner and getting done down the side
3. The second penalty was from not having any control following the first penalty. Knight not getting it under control, and Chester being way out of position and being beaten far too easily again, essentially giving them a 4 on 3 (one of the three being Bird)

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We limited them to 8 shots (2 penalties), only 1 of which was target (the first penalty), so even though the defence was exposed, the defence held out quite well. Saying that, I do worry that we'll see a few red cards to our defenders over the course of the season as things stand.

I disagree that it's the midfield trio who leave the defence exposed though, as I put that more down to the wingers, who leave a lot of space in behind for the opposition to attack. They had 3 clear chances to score, and only one in open play.
1. The crossbar effort was a result of giving the ball away far too easily and Chester being weak in the challenge
2. The first penalty was from not dealing with a corner and getting done down the side
3. The second penalty was from not having any control following the first penalty. Knight not getting it under control, and Chester being way out of position and being beaten far too easily again, essentially giving them a 4 on 3 (one of the three being Bird)

I would agree that the height that the wing backs play at leaves our CBs exposed down the sides but also only Bird shields them. We are unable to stop balls being played into forwards feet on a regular basis. Listing their shots only tells part of the story. There were also three occasions when Accrington caught us on the break and cocked up good opportunities with poor passing. 

I can't help but think that this will be a rollercoaster season with us unable to put a long run of wins together unless we rebalance the side. This could be done in two ways, more defensively capable wing backs or a less attacking midfield balance. The only other alternative is to upgrade our CBs, especially in regards to pace, as they look to be continuously exposed to a number of 3 on 3s during games. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

I would agree that the height that the wing backs play at leaves our CBs exposed down the sides but also only Bird shields them. We are unable to stop balls being played into forwards feet on a regular basis. Listing their shots only tells part of the story. There were also three occasions when Accrington caught us on the break and cocked up good opportunities with poor passing. 

I can't help but think that this will be a rollercoaster season with us unable to put a long run of wins together unless we rebalance the side. This could be done in two ways, more defensively capable wing backs or a less attacking midfield balance. The only other alternative is to upgrade our CBs, especially in regards to pace, as they look to be continuously exposed to a number of 3 on 3s during games. 

This was a problem v Port Vale too, that was exacerbated by the fact we couldn't beat them in the air either. We will definitely give up chances playing like this with slow centre backs, 2 of which are quite short, and wide players who are far more interested in being attackers and not much of a midfield shield either. The only hope is we will trouble teams enough going the other way to score plenty more goals.

Edited by Srg