Accrington Stanley v Derby County Matchday Thread

archram

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't you think some have been expecting too much out of young players?

For me this season is the first season all three appear to have grown into men. They look like their bodies are physically ready to play against men.

You’re right, and Warne knew/knows it. In the first interview he talked about young players and senior players, recognising we didn’t have many players in their peak mid to late 20’s “for obvious reasons” 

The good news as you allude to, is that as each game passes they are shaping up and growing stronger. 

Needed that. Tough day in Bury on Friday at my auntie’s funeral so this was just the tonic. One of the best away days, easy parking and it’s free, beer in the crown got served really quickly, same in the ground as well. Welcoming home support for most part and fair play to them, weren’t many of them but those behind the goal didn’t stop singing all game. 3 brilliant goals from Derby, even managed to run 20 yards to involve myself in the celebrations for the second goal,  rubbing Sibbo’s hair a highlight ????. That 3 or 4 minutes of madness with two missed penalties then Osula making it 2-0, I’ve never seen in 38 years. Mental!! 

As for the game itself good win, looked very clinical on the counter and some of our attacking play was outstanding, we thoroughly deserved the win but there was a lot wrong with that performance and a better team would’ve punished us. With the system and personnel we play, only playing 3 defenders, when we lose the ball we look extremely vulnerable and can get overloaded which happened with both penalties. Knight and Bird were particularly careless as well as others such as Barkhuizen although won’t criticise him as much as he put a real shift in. Bird was a mixed bag again as he also had some moments of real quality.

The other thing I didn’t like, second half appreciate we were sitting deep and playing on the counter but for saying Warne is about intensity, there was a complete lack of intensity from Derby, really slow closing down around their own box and all over the pitch, the only one who showed the required aggression and intensity when he came on was Korey Smith.

Standout performances, Curtis at the back, Mendez Laing when he was on, Barkhuizen did ok, outstanding finishes from Osula he’s a real outlet for us, but man of the match by some distance was Louie, excellent game throughout and at the heart of everything we did. Deserved a goal. 

Will take a 3-0 we should take confidence from it but play like that against Ipswich and could be the reverse.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's the midfield a number of us on the forum have been begging for for the best part of 2 years. I think it's criminal that this is probably doubled the playing time they've had as a midfield trio in that time.

It's a very well balanced midfield for most games, throw Bielik into the mix when we finally get him back for a bit of physicality/height and you rotate between the four of then to keep them fresh. 

Who needs Hourihane and his match winners eh?

30 minutes ago, David said:

That’s beards for you. They add 20 years on to every man.

Great if you’re at school and started puberty early, become popular as you can get served alcohol. After that though, waste of time. 

Should have put his beard on Mel Morris’ head, then they’d both look younger 

Warne has said about fighting to the end. He had a go at half time even though we were winning.  This quote on the AS forum stood out:

"What did disappoint me ....was seeing in the 90th minute Derby County's Captain demanding more from his players , irregardless of the score.. Whilst our stand-in leader was wandering around aimlessly seemingly having given up the fight !"

Says it all.